Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Atlanta: Capital of the American South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
Charlotte is still recovering but in some areas its still very much a peer of Atlanta although in most ways Atlanta is obviously the superior.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
It appears that Atlanta is starting to thrive pretty close to the same level we were pushing in the early 2000s.

Something to remember going forward is that for some reason, I don't know why, Atlanta seems to be a bit of a lagging indicator. I remember when the real estate market in the country came to a screeching halt, Atlanta refused to acknowledge this. It was a year or two after the market softened that we finally saw our prices come down.

So it makes sense that the same hold true in recovery. It might take us a bit longer than other cities to show our signs of recovery, but once the momentum starts, it is difficult to stop.

For a while, I feared that Atlanta had already seen its brightest days, but it looks like this phoenix still has some rising up left in its old wings.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times
Hmm if Texas is considered south, Austin prevails. If not, it's just Atlanta.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'd say Austin definitely has a lot of potential and momentum on its side, however it is still too small to take that title.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
For a while, I feared that Atlanta had already seen its brightest days, but it looks like this phoenix still has some rising up left in its old wings.
Atlanta no longer needs the flashy, bright and shiny, impressive projects to demonstrate it has arrived; that era is over. The focus is now on sustainable projects at the street level which make the city overall more walkable and livable. Exciting times certainly lie ahead.

Quote:
Houston and Dallas say hello.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta no longer needs the flashy, bright and shiny, impressive projects to demonstrate it has arrived; that era is over. The focus is now on sustainable projects at the street level which make the city overall more walkable and livable. Exciting times certainly lie ahead.

Houston and Dallas say hello.

Couldn't agree more on both points, although C-D never seems to let me rep you.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta: Capital of the American South
especially in the upcoming years, i see atlanta as being grouped more and more with cities like washington, DC and charlotte rather than cities in texas. there is a real difference from here and when you start to go west. i like "south atlantic states" the best, because it points to both our coastal southern heritage with cities like charleston and savannah, and also points to our connection with the atlantic seaboard, which will be increasingly important in the future. i kind of see new orleans, jackson, houston, dallas, and austin as a separate entity from us way over here.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
especially in the upcoming years, i see atlanta as being grouped more and more with cities like washington, DC and charlotte rather than cities in texas. there is a real difference from here and when you start to go west. i like "south atlantic states" the best, because it points to both our coastal southern heritage with cities like charleston and savannah, and also points to our connection with the atlantic seaboard, which will be increasingly important in the future. i kind of see new orleans, jackson, houston, dallas, and austin as a separate entity from us way over here.
This is an excellent insight as I agree that Atlanta's geographical, social and cultural connections to the Eastern Seaboard will be increasingly important in the future...something that we are already seeing with the increasing importance of the major international seaport at the Port of Savannah (the fastest-growing seaport on the entire North American continent and likely in the entire Western Hemisphere).

Atlanta's increasingly important geographical, social and cultural connections to the Eastern Seaboard of the North American continent is also something that we are seeing in action with the increasing importance of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport (the world's busiest airport) as a major Trans-Atlantic gateway between American and European/African markets and economies.

Even though Atlanta will clearly continue to rise in importance and prominence as a major East Coast/Trans-Atlantic metro region/population center amongst a grouping of other Eastern Seaboard major metros like Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Charlotte and Miami...because of the city's prominence in collegiate athletics (most particularly in regards to Atlanta's prominence as a major hotbed of the very-lucrative sport of SEC/NCAA College Football) Atlanta will also continue to rise in great importance as a major geographical, social and cultural focal point for the entire American South (the region of the country that stretches from Texas in the west to Virginia in the north).

The status of Atlanta as a prominent major focal city of great importance of two uniquely-different geographical regions in the greater Newfoundland-Florida Atlantic Coast/Eastern Seaboard and the greater Texas-Virginia Sunbelt/American South is one of the very-unique things about Atlanta that not many other major American cities can claim.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Mmm Hmm OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta