Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times

Advertisements

Better than the violin- have her practice a less popular instrument like the French horn....

Or move to North Dakota, because the top tiers also try to admit so that they have a geographically diverse class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The specific stories that I have heard about an A student with high test scores not getting into a GT or UGA typically occur when that student is coming from a highly competitive high school.

For example one year, someone close to me did not make it into GT. Admissions noted that although he met their qualifications but he was also coming from Northview High where they had already accept over 60 applicants equally or more qualified.

And no, I don't believe someone less qualified from a less competitive school was accepted. It is simply that schools like GT have more than enough qualified candidates and it is not in their best interest to limit their acceptance to a few selective high schools.

As noted earlier, sometimes the numbers work against you.
That's an excellent point. My child graduated from Westminster. Ten years ago only a handful (relatively speaking) of those grads applied to UGA. Now, a large number apply. UGA, for instance, wants a diverse student body. So, it is likely that an A student from a remote south Georgia high school will have an advantage in admissions over that Westminster B+/A- student. Like you said, sometimes the numbers work against you. But, I think that is a wise decsion by, in my example, UGA.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Better than the violin- have her practice a less popular instrument like the French horn....

Or move to North Dakota, because the top tiers also try to admit so that they have a geographically diverse class.
Yeah, I know. Too many violinists, sigh. Seriously the competition is insane, but as you said in an earlier post, when one door closes, another opens, etc. She isn't going to structure her life around college applications but pursue what she is passionate about and I believe it will all work out. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for Hope scholarship and honors program at UGA.

And I agree with those who have said that in general, it depends more on the student than the school, and I think my dd will do fine wherever she ends up. Which, she already knows, will not be anyplace that costs 60k/yr. unless there is a scholarship.

But, back to the OP, I would not want to go blindly into rush at a big Southern school without being aware of the unique...ummmm...atmosphere. (I would just google southern sorority rush for more insight) I would want my daughter to be clear on how she would feel, what she would do, if she did not get a bid, and to know and identify other ways to form friendships on the campus.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
Also back to the OP- UNC, UGA and the other schools on your list are great, but apply to a greater variety of schools, including a small public and maybe private small school and a couple in other parts of the country. Kids change a lot during their senior year of college (one reason why guidance counselors dislike early binding decision). When those acceptance letters start rolling in, kids have to commit and sometimes between peers, teachers, or the reality that maybe they don't want to be thrown into a large school miles away from home they change their minds. Keep your options open. Yes, I know how much each app costs, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to four years of college tuition.

-I've been there five times, starting in 2001 and have experienced every possible outcome from early October acceptance to the only college she wanted, to rejection/wait-list from all but one college. I know some very qualified kids who applied to 10 schools and didn't get accepted (just wait-list) from everyone. A numbers game pure and simple- so learn to play it smart and safe.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Only about 20% of students at UNC-CH join a fraternity or sorority. It really does not have the same pressure to be Greek as other large state universities in the South you have mentioned. Just thought I'd mention that, b/c you qualify as instate but don't live there. Most of the out-of-state kids end up being friends with each other, no one thinks about the Greeks, maybe crash a few of their larger parties, but that's about it. Your daughter, although she qualifies as in-state, would most likely want to hang out with the out-of-staters...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Yes, what AtlJan said. UNC has a strong Greek system, but it is not overpowering like it is at some of the other Southern schools. I live in Chapel Hill and I see the rushees every year. Personally, I would not want my daughters (have two) to do that, but I do have several friends who were in both sororities and fraternities at UNC although most of them dropped out before they graduated. I did go to some frat parties when I was at UNC (pretty much anyone can walk up to the outside ones), but that was just not really my scene at all. It is definitely not necessary to be in a frat/sorority to have a fulfilling social life and rewarding campus life at UNC. There are lots of other ways to get involved. That said, if she really does want to pledge the sororities at UNC are strong with a lot of tradition behind them. Not everyone on campus thinks they're cool, though, so she might be prepared for that if she does get in UNC and rush.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM

298 posts, read 628,268 times
Thank you for all the responses again. This post on the GA forum especially, has really taken off. In my heart I think UNC is a better fit for my daughters personality but it is still a very long shot for her admissions-wise. Her heart is at Auburn and a close second UGA. We both have been reading the greek chat site to get a better feel for the sororities, which have been helpful. UGA does seem to be very competitive for sororities, sounds like second to Ol Miss. Who knows, maybe it will be a blessing if she doesn't get into one. I have suggested the colleges many of you have brought up. So far no additions on her part, especially the small colleges. We'll keep digging and looking and reading more posts. As I've said in a previous post somewhere, I think they may just by flipping a coin up in that admissions office. There are so many variables they consider.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

399 posts, read 700,898 times
How does being in a sorority correlate with acceptance to graduate school or obtaining and succeeding at a great job/career? I think if I had a child preparing for college, the status of its Greek system would not be a priority. What if they never got in to a sorority? They should be happy with the academics of the school foremost.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM

221 posts, read 247,858 times
I'd tell my daughter she can go to college in NC or CA, there has to be one university in these two states that is good enough and she can get into.

No reason to pay out of state tuition, just throwing money down the drain and essentially subsidizing the in state students.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Georgia College (Georgia College and State University) has emerged as a great school here in Georgia.

Georgia College has the third highest average SAT scores for entering freshmen after GT and UGA.

It is in Milledgeville, for those that don't know--and the school abuts downtown Milledgeville. And downtown Milledgeville is becoming "cooler" due to the college and student influence.

My niece loves it and she is thriving there.

Georgia College: Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta