Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 15,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I agree with the others posters, you'll be fine. Smyrna is a melting pot.

On a side note, isn't funny the very issues that are actually worth discussing: Politics, Religion, Race we as a society shy away from, which often will lead to division and unfortunately animosity toward people of a different race, religion and political party...oh well, carry on.
Thanks Atlhrlguy! It seems like Smyrna very well may be a good choice for my family. And you're right. I do love discussing religion and politics, but have learned it's best not to discuss in certain situations. Some people get pretty steamed up, especially if you don't agree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
That statement explains your desire to find an area that you are politically & racially compatible with & had it been stated before, I would have probably not jumped on you for the whole "tolerance of others" thing.

I will state once again that you will have no problems in Smyrna, sans the lone nutjob that no one can really control.

Personally, I am a fiscal conservative social moderate that aligns more with the Libertarians than anything. I love talking politics with anyone who disagrees with me so long as they can do it in a civil manner. I have no patience for extremists of either side who just want to scream that they are right & that you are wrong.
Thanks Cawjr. The neighborhood we're in now has had a considerable increase in crime in the past few years. With us expecting a child, we just don't feel it's worth the risk of staying put. We love our neighbors and the diversity of our community. We've never felt out of place or unwelcome. But the schools we're zoned for are terrible, so we're hoping to find somewhere we can settle down for at least the next 10 years, hopefully more. I had some bad experiences growing as a biracial child in a suburb south of Atlanta. The neighborhood was very socially conservative and the neighbors made it a point to let my family know that we were not welcome. It was a painful experience and something no child (or adult) should have to endure. With that in mind I feel very protective of this with my own child, which is probably why I'm being so cautious about this move. But it does seem that Smyrna is different from where I grew up. It's good to know that times are indeed changing!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say that sums up Atlanta pretty well.

Really? I haven't that experience in Atlanta proper. Some of the more conservative suburbs, sure. I've lived in Atlanta, and more recently Decatur, my entire adult life and have never had any negative feedback. Maybe I've just been very fortunate.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbd View Post
Really? I haven't that experience in Atlanta proper. Some of the more conservative suburbs, sure. I've lived in Atlanta, and more recently Decatur, my entire adult life and have never had any negative feedback. Maybe I've just been very fortunate.
I think it boils down to conservatives not liking it when the liberal agenda is shoved in their face. Conservatives tend to confine themselves to talk radio, Fox news and a handful of blogs and other sources outside the mainstream media. So it's hardly surprising that they feel put upon when a liberal shows up out of the blue and starts pushing various left wing views.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
I think conservatives need to stop wearing their feelings on their shoulders and realize that not everyone thinks like they do. If you are a member of either party, I'm sure it can be annoying to hear others who are emphatic about another view. Liberals are not shoving anything down the throat of conservatives just the same as conservatives are not shoving anything down the throat of a liberal. If you don't like it, don't look at it, don't listen to it, go on about your own business is my motto. Whether the issue is liberal or conservative.

What is really annoying to me is people who are not mature enough to understand that not everyone is going to agree with them and who actually gets upset when someone has a different viewpoint. Some people really need to grow up. I do not understand why people have to carry weapons of death everywhere with them and why that is "cool" and "hip" but I am not up in arms about it. It is called personal choice. It is ridiculous for anyone to be apprehensive about voicing an opinion anywhere in this country...whether the suburb is conservative or not. That is just sick and contrary to what this country was founded upon in the first place. We are not a homogeneous group that thinks all the same and we have the right to pursue different political agendas. That is what makes America the greatest country in the world. If someone wants to castrate others for having different political view, this just seems unpatriotic, in my opinion. Small-minded people who want to ostracize others for having a different political view are a wonder.

Quote:
I think it boils down to conservatives not liking it when the liberal agenda is shoved in their face. Conservatives tend to confine themselves to talk radio, Fox news and a handful of blogs and other sources outside the mainstream media. So it's hardly surprising that they feel put upon when a liberal shows up out of the blue and starts pushing various left wing views.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM

125 posts, read 232,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbd View Post
Thanks Atlhrlguy! It seems like Smyrna very well may be a good choice for my family. And you're right. I do love discussing religion and politics, but have learned it's best not to discuss in certain situations. Some people get pretty steamed up, especially if you don't agree with them.

Thanks Cawjr. The neighborhood we're in now has had a considerable increase in crime in the past few years. With us expecting a child, we just don't feel it's worth the risk of staying put. We love our neighbors and the diversity of our community. We've never felt out of place or unwelcome. But the schools we're zoned for are terrible, so we're hoping to find somewhere we can settle down for at least the next 10 years, hopefully more. I had some bad experiences growing as a biracial child in a suburb south of Atlanta. The neighborhood was very socially conservative and the neighbors made it a point to let my family know that we were not welcome. It was a painful experience and something no child (or adult) should have to endure. With that in mind I feel very protective of this with my own child, which is probably why I'm being so cautious about this move. But it does seem that Smyrna is different from where I grew up. It's good to know that times are indeed changing!
Smyrna's an excellent choice. For a long time, Smyrna had a Democratic Senator, Doug Stoner. The only reason he lost last year was the Republicans redrew the district lines and most of the North Fulton and Buckhead side of the district voted for the Republican. Smyrna is very diverse in terms of class, race, somewhat politically and religious. It has an urban and small town feel to it. Truth be told, there are some snobs there that rival East Cobb but it's a really good place to live. To have a sense of belonging, just like anywhere else, it's best to join a church, professional organizations, and clubs.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM

125 posts, read 232,959 times
Quote:
Democrats feel the same way. Most are tired of hearing Republican talking points.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
Democrats feel the same way. Most are tired of hearing Republican talking points.
Conservatives feel left out of the mainstream media. Turn on the news or open a newspaper and to them it's a nonstop stream of liberal bias.

So conservatives are left feeling like they don't have a voice to express their values. That may be why they are sensitized to things like seeing Obama bumper stickers everywhere.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
If someone wants to castrate others for having different political view, this just seems unpatriotic, in my opinion.
Castration is far too severe a consequence for simply having a different political view.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
Smyrna's an excellent choice. For a long time, Smyrna had a Democratic Senator, Doug Stoner. The only reason he lost last year was the Republicans redrew the district lines and most of the North Fulton and Buckhead side of the district voted for the Republican. Smyrna is very diverse in terms of class, race, somewhat politically and religious. It has an urban and small town feel to it. Truth be told, there are some snobs there that rival East Cobb but it's a really good place to live. To have a sense of belonging, just like anywhere else, it's best to join a church, professional organizations, and clubs.
Marsha, that really does help. Thank you so much!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Oh boy ... I really didn't want this thread to turn into a liberals vs conservatives discussion. It's a bit like what I'm concerned about when moving to a different area. Shoving things down the throats of others isn't a conservative thing and it's not a liberal thing. It's just tacky. Please let's move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta