Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Ms. Cyrus wasn't even twerking. I wonder who told her that was twerking?
Well, you are probably right. It looked pretty stupid to me but that's what they called it on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I graduated from GSU in the mid aughts and I don't recall there being all that much engagement of students at that time, black or white. I returned for a semester a few years later and noticed a bit more activity on campus and it was mainly black students I saw involved in this activity but there where kids of all races involved. This was after they completed that huge dorm a few blocks from the Student Center. That made a pretty big difference in the liveliness factor, I'm sure.

I was a non-traditional student even the first go around having done a stint in the military, so I wasn't all that interested in hanging out with a bunch of "kids" even though I was at most 2-3 years older than them. I was over frat parties and all that. Still though, I sorta felt sorry for those kids with delusions of "college life" coming to GSU. They were in for a let down.

But, it seems to have gotten better for them at least. I'm sure a lot of non-traditional students find the "kids" even more annoying now.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I graduated from GSU in the mid aughts and I don't recall there being all that much engagement of students at that time, black or white. I returned for a semester a few years later and noticed a bit more activity on campus and it was mainly black students I saw involved in this activity but there where kids of all races involved. This was after they completed that huge dorm a few blocks from the Student Center. That made a pretty big difference in the liveliness factor, I'm sure.

I was a non-traditional student even the first go around having done a stint in the military, so I wasn't all that interested in hanging out with a bunch of "kids" even though I was at most 2-3 years older than them. I was over frat parties and all that. Still though, I sorta felt sorry for those kids with delusions of "college life" coming to GSU. They were in for a let down.

But, it seems to have gotten better for them at least. I'm sure a lot of non-traditional students find the "kids" even more annoying now.
This so many times. So many broken hearts. You don't even understand. Everyone let's go post this on collegeconfidential. You can't really get involved at GSU. There isn't much campus life. No vibrant alumni association, SGA is irrelevant, their student newspaper is honestly an embarrassment to the University System of Georgia and all of its 31 colleges and universities. Academic groups are a joke here, but there was this one kid who made like 4 successful pre-health clubs and then transferred to UGA LOL.. Greek life isn't vibrant here unless you're black.

Tru tru

My favorite part is, "I'm in Atlanta, therefore I will get internships at CNN" I'm dying. What makes people think simply living in an area will give them a surefire internship?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
This so many times. So many broken hearts. You don't even understand. Everyone let's go post this on collegeconfidential. You can't really get involved at GSU. There isn't much campus life. No vibrant alumni association, SGA is irrelevant, their student newspaper is honestly an embarrassment to the University System of Georgia and all of its 31 colleges and universities. Academic groups are a joke here, but there was this one kid who made like 4 successful pre-health clubs and then transferred to UGA LOL.. Greek life isn't vibrant here unless you're black.

Tru tru

My favorite part is, "I'm in Atlanta, therefore I will get internships at CNN" I'm dying. What makes people think simply living in an area will give them a surefire internship?
You make some pretty amazing sweeping generalities. Did you transfer to KSU by any chance?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
HA, I'm not transferring I graduate soon.

My generalizations are just that - generalizations. They're averages, numbers, the mean. Outliers and exceptions exist in all things. Being a student at GSU who also analyzes the actual data, facts and figures about GSU and Atlanta, I think I give myself a pretty good basis for judgement.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Nah. GA State does not target AA. They just are the largest Univ in Atlanta, which happens to be in a primarily AA city. Thus, a lot of AA students go there. Also, they grduate more AA students than any other university in the nation...Kinda like how FIU graduates the most Hispanics in the nation. So Disengagement of white. I doubt it. There is just natrurally a very diverse student body!
Good Post very cool information. I have a cousin that graduation from FIU

Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I said this ages ago and you said you didn't want to get into the racial aspect lol. It's not rocket science that as the # of black student population increased, test scores dropped. Blacks historically just don't do well on these standardized college entrance exams.

Anyways, GSU does feel more black than it really is and I do agree everything seems to be geared towards blacks. It gets worse each year. It doesn't feel diverse anymore. I feel like overtime, the school will get more and more black and dis sway other races from applying.
So in other words Black students lower the value of what the school can offer?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
HA, I'm not transferring I graduate soon.

My generalizations are just that - generalizations. They're averages, numbers, the mean. Outliers and exceptions exist in all things. Being a student at GSU who also analyzes the actual data, facts and figures about GSU and Atlanta, I think I give myself a pretty good basis for judgement.
You can't really get involved at GSU
There are a lot of organizations and not all AA.

There isn't much campus life.
What are you looking for? They have Cinefest which is something I haven't seen at any other school. And GSU's Distinguished Speaker Series is outstanding.

No vibrant alumni association
What are you looking for? Really, I don't even know what GT's Alumni Association is about.

SGA is irrelevant
What are you expecting? GSU's is about as relevant as GT's.

their student newspaper is honestly an embarrassment to the University System of Georgia and all of its 31 colleges and universities.
What facts and figures back that up? I'll admit that GT's Technique is better but the Signal is the worst of among the USG?

Academic groups are a joke here, but there was this one kid who made like 4 successful pre-health clubs and then transferred to UGA LOL..
Not sure if GT's are much better.

Greek life isn't vibrant here unless you're black.
The problem there is that there are no Greek houses. GT's is about as good as Greek systems get.

You make it sound as if it is all quantifiable but most of your complaints are anecdotal and with no better analysis than...."it's a joke".

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The problem there is that there are no Greek houses.
Yes there are (the townhome complex at Edgewood & Piedmont)

Quote:
You make it sound as if it is all quantifiable but most of your complaints are anecdotal and with no better analysis than...."it's a joke".
He's probably pissed that he couldn't transfer to UGA so he's taking it out on GSU.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
He makes GSU 10x worse then it actually is. GSU has faults, but you can still get a good education and entry level-job afterward. I've learned to just appreciate what GSU has to offer and not complain. He has an infatuation with colleges though. Once you get 3-5 year of work experience, your undergraduate education almost doesn't matter anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta