Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I wouldn't call it hype. I generally go the Whole Foods after work around 3:30 pm , and traffic is generally very heavy on Ponce around that time. I just wonder when Ponce City Market open how much worst it will be.
But more lanes for cars are not the answer. More transportation options that are better for denser areas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We need to get away from modifying residents behavior where we are doing things like using billions of tax dollars to build free super highways with a dozen+ lanes and requiring every property owner in the metro area to use their land and money to build parking spaces.
In all fairness, though, it seems like almost every part of the world is suburbanizing. People want their elbow room.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
You sure about that?
Yes.
Quote:
Freedom Parkway in the late 80s
Not a freeway
Quote:
GA400 I-85 to I-285 in early 90's
Built as a tollway
Quote:
Ronald Reagan Parkway in mid 90's
Not in the City of Atlanta
Quote:
GA316 is being actively converted to a freeway
GDOT working on plans to connect 675 and 400 under East Atlanta
The former isn't a new road (and is only adding interchanges in a few locations, the full-freeway conversion was dropped many years ago), the latter isn't even a serious plan and even if it was, it wouldn't happen for another 20+ years.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Yes.
Not a freeway
Built as a tollway
Not in the City of Atlanta
The former isn't a new road (and is only adding interchanges in a few locations, the full-freeway conversion was dropped many years ago), the latter isn't even a serious plan and even if it was, it wouldn't happen for another 20+ years.
Quote:
free·way
ˈfrēˌwā
noun
1. an express highway, esp. one with controlled access.
Does any of this change the point?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Does any of this change the point?
If your assertion is:

Quote:
We need to get away from modifying residents behavior where we are doing things like using billions of tax dollars to build free super highways with a dozen+ lanes
Yes. I'm not a fan of that type of construction, but none of those highways you listed fall under the bolded criteria.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In all fairness, though, it seems like almost every part of the world is suburbanizing. People want their elbow room.
Perhaps. But it was not always that way. The original expressways were private and as a share of the economy, private highways were a bigger effort than our current interstate system. But now we are much worse than the rest of the world in collecting user fees on roads. Almost every expressway in China is tolled. Places that are ranked as the best logistics hubs around the world such as Singapore and London charge user fees just to get on their roads. Most of Sweden's roads are run by private associations.

The US needs to shift away from its radical freeway policy. And hopefully that is starting to happen with more HOT lanes and toll roads coming.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But it was not always that way. The original expressways were private and as a share of the economy, private highways were a bigger effort than our current interstate system. But now we are much worse than the rest of the world in collecting user fees on roads. Almost every expressway in China is tolled. Places that are ranked as the best logistics hubs around the world such as Singapore and London charge user fees just to get on their roads. Most of Sweden's roads are run by private associations.

The US needs to shift away from its radical freeway policy. And hopefully that is starting to happen with more HOT lanes and toll roads coming.
Your point is well taken and my apologies for not reading your post more carefully.

Yes, I strongly agree that we should move in the direction of more tolls. Let the user pay!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM

283 posts, read 360,655 times
Quote:
But more lanes for cars are not the answer. More transportation options that are better for denser areas are.
No one is even arguing for more lanes. This situation is where the city took lanes away that are desperately needed. And for what? A dozen bike riders? I don't think a small handful of people should warrant drastically changing existing roads. This is not going to make traffic better, but worse.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
No one is even arguing for more lanes. This situation is where the city took lanes away that are desperately needed. And for what? A dozen bike riders? I don't think a small handful of people should warrant drastically changing existing roads. This is not going to make traffic better, but worse.
It should be noted that it's not just the City of Atlanta taking travel lanes away from cars on Ponce but it is also the State of Georgia as Ponce is officially a state-maintained and state-controlled route (signed with US Highways 29, 78 and 278, and Georgia Highways 8 and 10).

The City of Atlanta could not have taken away the travel lanes without the approval of the State of Georgia (the Georgia Department of Transportation).

But as has been noted before, the conversion of automobile travel lanes to bicycle lanes/tracks, wider sidewalks, multi-purpose lanes, trails and the like is not just a trend that is going on in Atlanta, but is a trend that is going on (and gaining stream) is large urban cities all over the nation.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I agree. This is for young hipsters/urban pioneers who want to have created some kind of "change." This is ideology based on emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta