Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Is this a good area?

Atlanta Real Estate - Atlanta GA Homes & Condos for Sale - Search MLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
It's a generally good area. I think more people in that Kirkwood/East Lake area consider the area north of Hosea to be safer, and I personally wouldn't want to be right next to memorial (high traffic, ugly strip malls, a little more in the way of sketchy people walking around). We looked at houses there a couple of years ago, and the area by Memorial has a little more crime and is less aesthetically pleasing to look at, IMO. It is a convenient area though. Get the attention of the poster cqholt - he lives in Kirkwood and loves it, so might have a little more insight (know people who live there) into living closer to the Memorial corridor rather than north of Hosea.

"Good" is a subjective term. Go look at it during the day and at night, and see how you feel. I think the area is definitely worth checking out at least, if that is what you are asking.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Good is definitely subjective, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

Isn't the general advice the further away from Memorial you are, the better off you are? Or is that generalized thinking?

I'm not an expert on Kirkwood, I just want to point out that you've asked a very loaded question. There are people on this board that will tell you Juarez is perfectly safe so long as you walk with a purpose and don't make eye contact with anyone. Others don't feel safe unless they are nestled in a gated community with a security alarm, gun, and 3 pitbulls.

An area like this is going to generate a lot of responses depending on personal tolerance levels for different types of crime.

In an area like this, it's pretty reasonable to assume that nobody is going to climb through a window and rape and kill you for no reason your first month living there. But you could probably expect your car to get broken into in relatively short order if you leave anything valuable in it and you wouldn't be able to blame a single young woman for not wanting to stay there alone every night.

Outside of the extremes, it's what makes you comfortable.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM

I know it was too good to be true. I love the home and the price is right but the area sounds suspect. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Good is definitely subjective, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

Isn't the general advice the further away from Memorial you are, the better off you are? Or is that generalized thinking?

I'm not an expert on Kirkwood, I just want to point out that you've asked a very loaded question. There are people on this board that will tell you Juarez is perfectly safe so long as you walk with a purpose and don't make eye contact with anyone. Others don't feel safe unless they are nestled in a gated community with a security alarm, gun, and 3 pitbulls.

An area like this is going to generate a lot of responses depending on personal tolerance levels for different types of crime.

In an area like this, it's pretty reasonable to assume that nobody is going to climb through a window and rape and kill you for no reason your first month living there. But you could probably expect your car to get broken into in relatively short order if you leave anything valuable in it and you wouldn't be able to blame a single young woman for not wanting to stay there alone every night.

Outside of the extremes, it's what makes you comfortable.
I wouldn't say the further from Memorial the better, just that north of Hosea is more desirable. I agree, I wouldn't expect to be robbed or feel unsafe there, but would expect the random car break-in and such, especially being that close to Memorial. If the house was the other side if the block, I wouldn't think much about it, but it is the first house in from Memorial. Too close for me personally. I'd suggest you go check it out. It really isn't that bad if an area, it is all in your own comfort levels.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Definitely. Just do the night test....that's what I used to do when looking at apartments.

Go there at around 10pm during the week. If it's deserted, dark, and creepy, probably not so great. If it's just a bunch of people out walking their dogs and has a decent amount of light, it's probably ok.

Get out and walk a block or two. You'll get a gut feeling pretty quick.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Howard street is a very tight nit street. Residents look out for each other. There is a wine stroll september 27, 6-11pm. Come out to the event and stroll around to get a better sense of the community and how the street is at night. There has been an uptick in petty crime this year, but APD and KSP are fighting it. Howard is a good street. I would recommend an alarm.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Howard is a big cut-through street. They've added another stop sign to slow people down, but it's certainly got traffic still. Upside to that is break-ins tend to occur more frequently on dead end or lightly traveled streets. Downside is, obviously the noise. Alarms systems are generally not a huge deterrent to the daytime smash-and-grab crimes (which covers a majority of home burglaries in the area). They know that once they kick the door in, they have 30-60 seconds before the entry delay expires and sets off the alarm. Two people can be in and out with your TV, ipad, and whatever else looks expensive before the siren even starts going off. That house was a rental for a couple years, so I'm not sure how well it was maintained.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM

After you've followed cqholt and my suggestions (definitely go for the wine stroll, but make sure you also go on a random Wednesday night to see what it would really be like 99% of the time), please come back here and report to us what you experienced and why you decide to buy or not to buy.

I'm sure it would help a lot of people to hear an impartial opinion from someone who genuinely just wants to know what the area is like.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM

I do not live in Atlanta. I want my forever home to be a craftsman bungalow. I did a google search and I found this home. I love the style but I want to live somewhere safe and relatively close to shops and entertainment. I appreciate your responses. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta