Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,829,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Which do you prefer and why?
As a general rule, I prefer chef-driven because the quality of the ingredients seems fresher. Also, when cooking sometimes it's better to go with the flow than stick to a recipe unless you're baking.
I am not above going to a chain, but many do not appeal to me because I find the food bland and processed to death.

It's sort of like comparing a frozen meal to one from scratch. I may be able to tolerate say lasagna from a box in the frozen food section, but I'd really prefer someone lay it out in the pan like granny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,416,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
"Van" as in "vin" for wine? Embarrassing.
At least they were trying to fit in. That's more than most can say.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
At least they were trying to fit in. That's more than most can say.
Yes "van" as in "vin".

And yes at least they were trying a local establishment with good food. But since the rest of the order was in English perhaps they should have stuck with English 100%. I think the exact quote was "we would like to order some van."

Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yes "van" as in "vin".

And yes at least they were trying a local establishment with good food. But since the rest of the order was in English perhaps they should have stuck with English 100%. I think the exact quote was "we would like to order some van."
I've found that folks in other countries actually appreciate it when you attempt to speak their native language, even if you mess it up. Shows some respect.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM

687 posts, read 746,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
We were in Paris (which has fantastic food everywhere you turn) and walked by the McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées. Which, in and of itself just seems like anathema or something. And the place was loaded with American tourists. I wanted to walk in there and yell at all of them: "You are in PARIS for God's sake. Go out there and eat some REAL food."

But then later that night we were in a wonderful café (well, they are all wonderful) and overheard the typical loud and rude American two tables over ordering "van" (yes, that's how he pronounced it). So, maybe it is a good thing that some of them stay in McDonalds.
A few weeks back we was eating on the patio at Barcelona in Inman Park on a Saturday afternoon, a group of 2 couples were seated on the table next to us...they had been to the braves game that afternoon.

After studying the mainly tapas menu one of the girls asked the waitress if she could get them 'something American as we don't like foreign foods'.

The waitress politely mentioned to them that they were in a Mediterranean style tapas bar.

"Well you must sell tacos or nachos?"

"Ma'am, tacos and nachos are both Mexican and not American" replies the waitress.

BOOM!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,744,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I always laugh when I see American tourists in Europe eating at a McDonald's or a Kentucky Fried Chicken
LOL I have been guilty of this in the past but that was only because it was one of the few places open.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM

687 posts, read 746,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
LOL I have been guilty of this in the past but that was only because it was one of the few places open.
Go to Fado's on Saturday....full of Brits (like me) in an irish pub! We can't help ourselves

Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,105,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
A few weeks back we was eating on the patio at Barcelona in Inman Park on a Saturday afternoon, a group of 2 couples were seated on the table next to us...they had been to the braves game that afternoon.

After studying the mainly tapas menu one of the girls asked the waitress if she could get them 'something American as we don't like foreign foods'.

The waitress politely mentioned to them that they were in a Mediterranean style tapas bar.

"Well you must sell tacos or nachos?"

"Ma'am, tacos and nachos are both Mexican and not American" replies the waitress.

BOOM!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,083,511 times
Both are fine.

I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but it seems to me that in a lot of ways, we are entering a "this or that" society.

I mean, just look at this board. Chain or chef? Suburb or in town? We get asked a lot of either or styled questions often forgetting to realize that very little in life is a zero sum game.

The answer is almost always in the middle. For example, this question. As has been stated, both serve individual purposes. Only a fool would say one is always better than the other because you have some chef driven restaurants that are actually pretty terrible and then you have some chains, like Houstons, that are often better than a chef restaurant. I've taken to pretty much refusing to eat anywhere until I've checked the Yelp reviews. I'm not going to step into a complete unknown just because it looks a certain way.

I really like both types of restaurants. Just like I really like the suburbs and intown neighborhoods. I wouldn't judge anybody for choosing one over the other so long as they acknowledged what is good and bad about both before diving into a decision.

It reminds me of the kids I knew in college who liked REM or Nirvana, but then refused to listen to them anymore once they gained traction and sold some records. The fact that other people like the music now as well doesn't change what it is and shouldn't influence whether you like it. I like underground stuff you've never heard of as well as crap that you hear all over pop radio.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Both are fine.

I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but it seems to me that in a lot of ways, we are entering a "this or that" society.

I mean, just look at this board. Chain or chef? Suburb or in town? We get asked a lot of either or styled questions often forgetting to realize that very little in life is a zero sum game.

The answer is almost always in the middle. For example, this question. As has been stated, both serve individual purposes. Only a fool would say one is always better than the other because you have some chef driven restaurants that are actually pretty terrible and then you have some chains, like Houstons, that are often better than a chef restaurant. I've taken to pretty much refusing to eat anywhere until I've checked the Yelp reviews. I'm not going to step into a complete unknown just because it looks a certain way.

I really like both types of restaurants. Just like I really like the suburbs and intown neighborhoods. I wouldn't judge anybody for choosing one over the other so long as they acknowledged what is good and bad about both before diving into a decision.

It reminds me of the kids I knew in college who liked REM or Nirvana, but then refused to listen to them anymore once they gained traction and sold some records. The fact that other people like the music now as well doesn't change what it is and shouldn't influence whether you like it. I like underground stuff you've never heard of as well as crap that you hear all over pop radio.
Thank you for pointing this all out. Very much needed around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta