Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times

Advertisements

If you guys can, you MUST check out Mike Luckovich's cartoon in today's paper. It's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,146,328 times
Quote:
45% is a whole lot better than the 66% that Reed was lying about on Monday
Yes 45 is "better" than 66 but that's still 45% too much. Reed wasn't lying, these things always
cost more. Always. By saying that he was "lying" you are simply trying to justify a boondoggle.

Quote:
Expanding Cobb Parkway to 6 lanes across the river will help
You're kidding yourself. It's not going to help.

Quote:
the Windy Hill improvements will make a difference, and the reversible toll lanes on I-75 should noticeably help as well.
No they absolutely won't help. Again, you're kidding yourself. None of these changes can accommodate tens of thousands of cars and unlike Turner Field, virtually all fans will be coming by car.

This is truly insanity, but I'm sure that people who live in north Cobb are "live" with ball park because they won't have to deal with the insane traffic that will fill Cobb Pkwy and East Smyrna making normally calm later evening weekend shopping or dining easy, a true burden.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,886,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
If you guys can, you MUST check out Mike Luckovich's cartoon in today's paper. It's great!
Haha. Nice:

Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 AM

924 posts, read 1,457,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yes 45 is "better" than 66 but that's still 45% too much. Reed wasn't lying, these things always
cost more. Always. By saying that he was "lying" you are simply trying to justify a boondoggle.

You're kidding yourself. It's not going to help.

No they absolutely won't help. Again, you're kidding yourself. None of these changes can accommodate tens of thousands of cars and unlike Turner Field, virtually all fans will be coming by car.

This is truly insanity, but I'm sure that people who live in north Cobb are "live" with ball park because they won't have to deal with the insane traffic that will fill Cobb Pkwy and East Smyrna making normally calm later evening weekend shopping or dining easy, a true burden.
Converting a road from 4 lanes to 6 won't help? Really?

All reports I have seen said the Braves are on the hook for any cost overruns just like the Falcons are, so I am sticking with Reed either making up a number or at the very least continuing to lie about it after he was told he was wrong.

For the record my office is at the corner of Powers Ferry and Windy Ridge so I understand the traffic issues but I think they are being dramatically overblown. Yes if you try to drive from Smyrna to Cumberland Mall at 6pm on a home game weeknight traffic will be bad. I don't think it will be all that worse than it is now and would be easy to plan around the less than 20 times a year it would happen for most people. I think it is worth the added convenience to go to Braves games and the extra revenue it will generate for the county.

If you don't go to Braves games and for some reason want to go to Cumberland Mall every weeknight at dinner time then I can see not liking it. Otherwise I think it is a good thing for our area.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

329 posts, read 431,821 times
Really the residents and businesses in the Cumberland area should pay 100% of the freight. They are the ones who want this and will benefit from it. Nothing should come out of the Cobb General Fund to pay for this. And the motel tax and rental car tax should also be limited to the Cumberland area. No motels in South Cobb will benefit a cent from this.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 AM

188 posts, read 297,409 times
WHO SAYS CUMBERLAND RESIDENTS WANT THIS?!?!?! PUT IT TO A REFERENDUM.

The only way Cobb can justify paying 45% of the cost of the stadium is if Cobb gets 45% of the profit generated by the stadium. If the Braves want investors to share the cost, then they have to share the profits.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
If the Braves want investors to share the cost, then they have to share the profits.
Says who?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
WHO SAYS CUMBERLAND RESIDENTS WANT THIS?!?!?! PUT IT TO A REFERENDUM.

The only way Cobb can justify paying 45% of the cost of the stadium is if Cobb gets 45% of the profit generated by the stadium. If the Braves want investors to share the cost, then they have to share the profits.
I'm a Cobb resident and I damn sure do not want that stadium up here

Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,736 times
Maybe some Democratic candidates will run against these bums on the stadium issue in the next election and y'all can vote 'em out of office.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,886,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Maybe some Democratic candidates will run against these bums on the stadium issue in the next election and y'all can vote 'em out of office.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that. But I would love to see a third party candidate get elected like a real Libertarian or New Whig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta