Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
One of the issues of the metro area today is the poor handling of schools. This is one reason unincorporated areas are becoming cities. But sould cities be able to create their own school system?
Absolutely not. Having come from a state (Massachusetts) where every little city and town of a few thousand people has their own school system, I can tell you first hand that it's horribly inefficient. One of the huge benefits of coming to Georgia was the larger county wide school system. The larger tax base and student body is a huge difference for the positive.

The duplication and redundancy of having the personnel and infrastructure for each system is huge, and simple things like maintenance and capital projects become harder to do with the smaller budgets and tax bases. You can no longer take advantage of economies of scale and procurement is more expensive.

It may seem like a good idea from the standpoint of local control, but trust me...it's not from a practical perspective. If anyone else on this forum is from one of the New England states where this is prevalent, I'd love to hear your opinion about whether or not you think this is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I hope, we don't go the route of NJ and CT with a new district every couple miles .
Exactly...the whole northeast is like this and it's incredibly inefficient and politically tangled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I have mixed feelings about this and don't lean strongly in either direction.

The AJC has a pretty solid argument today against new school systems:

Allowing Dunwoody to form its own school district is mistake,... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
If the new law passes and Dunwoody creates its own system, will contiguous cities like Sandy Springs and Roswell be allowed to join in?

If those three hooked up that would be quite a district.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the new law passes and Dunwoody creates its own system, will contiguous cities like Sandy Springs and Roswell be allowed to join in?

If those three hooked up that would be quite a district.
Yes. They could. But I wouldn't expect that. If what is desired, and from reading and attending a meeting recently, is smaller districts, a merger like that wouldn't achieve the goal.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks, LMM. That makes sense.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Yes. They could. But I wouldn't expect that. If what is desired, and from reading and attending a meeting recently, is smaller districts, a merger like that wouldn't achieve the goal.
I'll bet they'll change their tune about "smaller districts" if they ever get the chance to do what Arjay is describing. It's about smaller districts as long as that makes a good talking point, but it'll be about something else once Roswell and SS show them the money. Besides, it'd still be a much smaller school district than Dekalb County.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'll bet they'll change their tune about "smaller districts" if they ever get the chance to do what Arjay is describing. It's about smaller districts as long as that makes a good talking point, but it'll be about something else once Roswell and SS show them the money. Besides, it'd still be a much smaller school district than Dekalb County.
I agree they'd be willing to expand provided that their socioeconomic fences remained intact.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I agree they'd be willing to expand provided that their socioeconomic fences remained intact.
Without demonizing everyone involved, socioeconomic fences in this case also equates to quality and quality of life in school systems. I know it's unfair, but they're just looking out for their children.

My take on it is I have no take. If we do nothing, everyone loses, white, black, rich and poor. If we split them up, the poor minorities in the left behind districts suffer. If we use charter systems or, God forbid, a voucher system, then we put a wet bandaid on a bigger problem.

Being a politician is harder work than most realize.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
The authors of the law change at that time could not have envisioned a time when 1 in 15 GA children in public school would be in one system (Gwinnett).
As you spot this out.... it worth noting that Gwinnett County is one of the most efficient and well managed school systems around. They take full advantage of economies of scale, have a wide variety of course offerings, and won the Broad Prize. They specifically won the Broad prize for their success at closing the success gap between whites and minorities and between those with different income levels.

The structure of Gwinnett's size isn't something to be scared of.

The real argument people want to make is what happens when a county fails (Dekalb). Can they split off and try to save themselves and leave the rest of the county behind?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
As you spot this out.... it worth noting that Gwinnett County is one of the most efficient and well managed school systems around. They take full advantage of economies of scale, have a wide variety of course offerings, and won the Broad Prize. They specifically won the Broad prize for their success at closing the success gap between whites and minorities and between those with different income levels.

The structure of Gwinnett's size isn't something to be scared of.
Is there any possibility Gwinnett will ever wind up going the way of DeKalb and COA? At one point they were both outstanding systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta