Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 AM

21 posts, read 33,273 times

Advertisements

What do you think the differences are that comes with growing up in a place like Duluth/Johns Creek vs. growing up in a place like Long Island, NY?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,062 times
Having grown up in queens and long island....it took me a long time to figure out the southern way of doing business. But ive got it now.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
There is a pretty big difference in culture. You're comparing a borough of one of the most international cities in the world to a fairly insular, shopping center ridden suburb which probably has more enclosed subdivisions than traffic signals.

Slower pace of life in Johns Creek, less stressful, and a lot less going on.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Having grown up in queens and long island....it took me a long time to figure out the southern way of doing business. But ive got it now.
Well, what is it? I'm not sure how much business you did growing up, but what do you find the differences(s)_to be?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times
I don't know how people can raise kids here in NY these teens and kids are so rude and disrespectful especially to older people.

I loved my up bringing down south.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
No shoveling snow....

Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times
Although it's evident growing up in NYC (Queens) was much different than if I would have grown up in Atlanta whether it be the COA or Duluth, but also when you grew up is a major factor. The world is much smaller now, and the different regions of the country are much more homogenous now. I'm sure it's much different growing in NYC now, than when I grew up there in the 70s/80s. The major difference that stands out about my childhood in NYC compared to different regions and/or generations is how independent we were as children. Nowadays these kids can't sneeze without mommy and daddy there to wipe there noses. All children need to be watched after and taken care of, but you also need to give kids an opportunity to grow, socialize with there peers and learn how to figure things out. I grew up at a time when NYC had hit rock bottom financially, the city was filthy and it was the most dangerous city in the country but I would not trade it for the world.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
I agree the differences in raising children in all suburbs that have developed over the last few decades is much more prevalent than geography now. In the end, most middle-class city suburbs today are interchangeable pallets.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I don't know how people can raise kids here in NY these teens and kids are so rude and disrespectful especially to older people.
I grew up in Queens, and I take exception to your characterization. I was brought up with manners and to be polite and respectful to elders and to say "please and thank you" and we even called adults Mr. and Mrs. My children were raised in Massachusetts, and the same is true. They have manners and respect.

Now...if you're equating thugs, ghetto, and rap types, you'll find those also in Atlanta. Not sure what you mean by "NY teens and kids" or how they are "rude and disrespectful."

Now...if you mean that kids up north don't call teachers and parents "ma'am" and "sir"...then you'd be correct. I am fine with that, as my kids aren't in the military and need to be respectful, but saying "yes ma'am" and "yes sir" to teachers and parents is over the top. That is one difference between southerners and most northerners.

As has been discussed many times, I think there is a general and broad difference in the mentality of many people in NY (and the northeast generally) and people in the south. Direct communication and a more sarcastic sense of humor is more normal in NY. In the south, directness is considered to be "rude" and people tend to be more nuanced and more subtle in their communication. People in NY are not actually being rude, but they don't try to sugar coat or use passive aggressiveness.

In NY, generally what you see is what you get, and I like that, and I try to encourage my kids to be polite yet be assertive. It's a balance between appearing confident...or appearing arrogant. I think some southerners assume arrogance when it's not the case.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I grew up in Queens, and I take exception to your characterization. I was brought up with manners and to be polite and respectful to elders and to say "please and thank you" and we even called adults Mr. and Mrs. My children were raised in Massachusetts, and the same is true. They have manners and respect.

Now...if you're equating thugs, ghetto, and rap types, you'll find those also in Atlanta. Not sure what you mean by "NY teens and kids" or how they are "rude and disrespectful."

Now...if you mean that kids up north don't call teachers and parents "ma'am" and "sir"...then you'd be correct. I am fine with that, as my kids aren't in the military and need to be respectful, but saying "yes ma'am" and "yes sir" to teachers and parents is over the top. That is one difference between southerners and most northerners.

As has been discussed many times, I think there is a general and broad difference in the mentality of many people in NY (and the northeast generally) and people in the south. Direct communication and a more sarcastic sense of humor is more normal in NY. In the south, directness is considered to be "rude" and people tend to be more nuanced and more subtle in their communication. People in NY are not actually being rude, but they don't try to sugar coat or use passive aggressiveness.

In NY, generally what you see is what you get, and I like that, and I try to encourage my kids to be polite yet be assertive. It's a balance between appearing confident...or appearing arrogant. I think some southerners assume arrogance when it's not the case.

I'm going by what I see everyday here in NYC but I would put money on it that kids down south are more mannerable than kids in NYC.. Your just one person, these kids I see on the trains. The way the talk back to parents. I'm like my goodness. I can't even get decent customer service around here.. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even worry about it or expect it..

The kids don't give up there seat on the train for elderly or pregnant women. They will knock u down trying to get down the stairs to the train and never will say excuse me. It's about being courteous. Courteous and NYC don't go together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: