Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times

Advertisements

New InsiderAdvantage Poll: Majority of Georgians Favor Medical Marijuana, Oppose Guns on Campus | WABE 90.1 FM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Guns on campus? Too soon.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM

70 posts, read 161,899 times
To be fair some people are probably already carrying concealed weapons on campuses, illegal or not.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,851 times
A lot of people were opposed to guns on MARTA too, but since that was enacted the only MARTA-related shooting I've heard about involving a legal firearm was carried out by a cop.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
My view on guns is that I support gun ownership, but I also support what I consider as common sense rules to regulate ownership of deadly weapons.

I have 3 kids, with 1 in college and 1 heading to college next year. I know how things can go at college where you have drinking and teens/20 something's living in close proximity. I don't want an untrained kid in his/her late teens or early 20s to be making decisions about firearm use without having had extensive training, which as we know isn't the case in GA.

There seem to be so many more instances of "law abiding citizens" like the guy in Florida or the other recent shootings using legally obtained weapons to commit shootings than instances of people defending themselves against a legitimate threat to life.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
the guy in Florida
It's never made any sense to me that when cases make national news there are so many people who disregard what a jury unanimously decided after several days of hearing evidence and testimony in favor of something they saw on CNN. I really couldn't care less about most of those cases anyway but if I have an "opinion" at all it's that juries tend to be more reliable than self-proclaimed pundits who profit by selling drama and what-ifs.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
It's never made any sense to me that when cases make national news there are so many people who disregard what a jury unanimously decided after several days of hearing evidence and testimony in favor of something they saw on CNN. I really couldn't care less about most of those cases anyway but if I have an "opinion" at all it's that juries tend to be more reliable than self-proclaimed pundits who profit by selling drama and what-ifs.
1. Zimmerman did kill Trayvon Martin. He just wasn't found guilty of the charges against him and sent to jail. Those are two different things.

2. I believe Neil is referring to this incident:

In aftermath of Florida movie theater shooting, heroes responded - CNN.com

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM

60 posts, read 142,180 times
While we're advocating better gun use and training among ordinary people, why not extend that to America's police force too? Police officers are way too quick to go for their weapon when other methods are available. Police shoot more people than gang members do.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Any one want to wager which one actually has a chance of passing the Legislature and which one does not??? Representatives of the people my ass.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Zimmerman did kill Trayvon Martin.
Obviously, but Neil implied it wasn't legitimate self-defense (assuming that was even what he was talking about... if not I think my point is still valid, just not relevant to his post lol).

EDIT: Come to think of it it's relevant either way, because if he really means that latter case, that hasn't even gone to trial yet so it's a bit early for someone who wasn't even involved to be drawing conclusions about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: