Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Would say that Turnip Greens would be the most important green for southerners ahead of collards.
I STRONGLY disagree with this. Collards is by far number one from my experience, at least in my neck of the woods.

Quote:
If you are a true rural southerner, you even know what Poke Salad is.
I'm a true rural Southerner, born and raised, and never heard of such.

I guess this really does come down to the Appalachian/Lowcountry, Black/White distinctions in Southern culture and cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, that might be a distinction between White and African-American southern households, honestly. I would never place turnips above collards.

Just look at some of the menus of some soul food restaurants outside of the Deep South.

Florida Avenue Grill - Our Menu

They have collards, but no turnips.

Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too Restaurant#

Spoonbread has collards, no turnips.

Appetizers & Sides

Amy Ruth's has collards, no turnips.

TemptationBanquetFacilityPhilaPA.com

This is a place not too far from where I grew up. They serve collards, but no turnips.
Precisely. Although I like all kinds of greens, I'd have an eyebrow raised if I saw some other green on the menu and not collards in a soul food/country cooking restaurant.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely. Although I like all kinds of greens, I'd have an eyebrow raised if I saw some other green on the menu and not collards in a soul food/country cooking restaurant.
Well, take a look at the menu for S&S Cafeteria.

S S Cafeteria Home cooked food

They have turnips every day, but not collards. So it might be a difference that runs along race lines. But the majority of the people cooking the food are AA.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well, take a look at the menu for S&S Cafeteria.

S S Cafeteria Home cooked food

They have turnips every day, but not collards. So it might be a difference that runs along race lines. But the majority of the people cooking the food are AA.
That's interesting. Seems to be the exception though, not the norm.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Off topic, but there's also a lot of similarity between American southern cuisine and many West Indian dishes.

Yams
Bajan and Jamaican collards/callaloo
Macaroni Pie
Fried everything in Barbados
Rice and pea
Ochro/"Okra"
Stewed beef
Cou cou (sort of a cousin of grits)

Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
No one has mentioned vegetable soup yet! Just had a big bowl for lunch... Good stuff!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's interesting. Seems to be the exception though, not the norm.
No, I'm with you. Collards seems to be the default green in most restaurants.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Off topic, but there's also a lot of similarity between American southern cuisine and many West Indian dishes.

Yams
Bajan and Jamaican collards/callaloo
Macaroni Pie
Fried everything in Barbados
Rice and pea
Ochro/"Okra"
Stewed beef
Cou cou (sort of a cousin of grits)
I've noticed that as well. In the coastal plain area of SC, we tend to eat rice a lot; I grew up with a pot of rice on the stove every night and I eat them with almost every kind of vegetable. When I mentioned this at a former work site, two of my co-workers said they do the same. One is from the Dominican Republic, and the other was adopted by Jamaican parents.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
turnip greens are, shall we say, a less intense flavour for the uninitiated. have you guys ever tasted mustard greens? those are totally weird.

either way i don't like meat added to them even though that is the tradition. try the collard greens at EATS. perfect!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
No, I'm with you. Collards seems to be the default green in most restaurants.
But southerners traditionally aren't restaurant officiandos. Most rural southerners I knew went to a restaurant only on a very special occasion and would want to go to a nice steak restaurant or something a little more exotic than the routine. I stand by the fact that turnip greens are more ubiquitous for the reasons I listed above.

And Poke Salad is a weed. Can be poisonous if mature leaves and/or berries are eaten, but is another good green if it is picked young.

Phytolacca americana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta