Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 AM

258 posts, read 534,451 times

Advertisements

hey everybody,
im about to close on a house in college park next month. i like for my surroundings to warm and comfy all year round. if i could have it my way, wherever i live at would be between 77-83 degrees all year. the house im buying is a little older, about 30yrs old and i was wondering if anybody EVER had spray foam insulation installed??? i would , of course, like to get my attic roof sprayed but should i do my interior walls i.e. living room and bedroom walls....... downstairs walls (its a split level house) and also my garage ceiling, since my master bedroom plus 2 other bedrooms sit right over it......

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
I would really ask the Spray Foam company. Spraying interior walls will help with sound deadening, but don't get too overzealous with housing envelope. Southern homes need to breathe, because of the humidity. Sealing it tight is asking for mold problems.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
hey everybody,
im about to close on a house in college park next month. i like for my surroundings to warm and comfy all year round. if i could have it my way, wherever i live at would be between 77-83 degrees all year. the house im buying is a little older, about 30yrs old and i was wondering if anybody EVER had spray foam insulation installed??? i would , of course, like to get my attic roof sprayed but should i do my interior walls i.e. living room and bedroom walls....... downstairs walls (its a split level house) and also my garage ceiling, since my master bedroom plus 2 other bedrooms sit right over it......

thanks
We did our basement crawlspace walls and sealed the dirt floor with plastic.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,450 times
i want to DIY my attic.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I'd love to know the answer to this question for attics in particular. I feel like mine gets way too hot.

There are tons of foam products out there, and the last thing you want to do is install foam only to find out it cause lung cancer 10 years from now. Can't even imagine trying to get rid of all that hardened foam, what a mess!

For regular walls, I would think spraying in cellulose fill is the better solution, so pipes and wires aren't encased in hardened foam. But can you do this if there is already batting in the walls?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
There is a board on city-data that addresses nothing but your type of question and there are tons of experts who respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
hey everybody,

thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
This is the forum LovelySummer is talking about:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
I spray foamed my attic back in 2009 with open cell when I closed on my house in Savannah Ga. Do your research there is closed cell and open cell. Closed cell is good below ground and in crawl spaces as it is a vapor barrier and doesn't let air or water pass through. Open cell is better for walls and attics as air and water can pass through.

I have a 3800 square foot house in Savannah which is hotter and more humid than Atlanta, electric heating and cooling with electric hot water. The highest my bill has ever been is $240 for one month. We do have 7 ceiling fans and hardwood on the first floor and part of the 2nd, along with tile in the wet areas. The house stays @ 68 in winter, 78 in summer.

I highly endorse Spray foam.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Just don't spray over wires.... That can be a helluva mess if you're u ever need to remodel or make repairs.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,734 times
Southern homes do not need to "breathe." This is a common misconception in the building industry. While I say they do not need to breathe, they do need fresh air. Fresh air is better brought into the house via a fresh air vent which brings in the exact amount of fresh air and dehumidifies it at the same time reducing the amount of humidity introduced to the home. If a house "breathed" we would let hot humid air creep through our walls, windows, attics, and crawlspaces. What happens when this air is brought through these dusty and dirty spaces? Well, it brings all of that dust and dirt into your house. Seal your house with a proper air barrier and you will have better indoor air quality, no mold, and lower energy bills. Closed cell spray foam is a proper air barrier and if you consult with a green building consultant or a building scientist they will agree. Us spray foam but don't waste your money foaming interior walls, us a less expensive insulation for that. Also, if you are doing these retrofits make sure to establish a safe combustion safety closet. Again, consult a building scientist or a reputable home builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I would really ask the Spray Foam company. Spraying interior walls will help with sound deadening, but don't get too overzealous with housing envelope. Southern homes need to breathe, because of the humidity. Sealing it tight is asking for mold problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta