Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

Is Atlanta a good place to settle down? I realize that's a pretty broad question. So let me spell out my dilemma. I moved here 3 years ago to escape the harsh winters of the Midwest. While I can't say I love it here, I don't hate it either. It's affordable, there are plenty of jobs in my field, and except for July and August, I like the weather. But culturally, I do feel out of sorts. I'm not religious, not politically conservative, and not a sports fan. I'm now debating moving to the Washington DC area. Why DC? First, there are lots of jobs there in my industry. Second, I have family in Virginia. And third, I feel like it would be a better fit in terms of the culture and I know there would be a lot more to do than there is here. Wanting to be near family is a big factor. My parents will most likely be relocating to Virginia. They're getting up there in age. And while they haven't had any serious health issues yet, I know that could change as they enter into their 70s. Frankly, I'd feel better if I was closer in case they needed help.

So here's what's holding me back. First, DC is EXPENSIVE. After looking at the cost of housing, I know the kind of home I'd want would cost 50% more than it does here. While my salary would go up, I know it wouldn't go up more than maybe 15%. The job I have now isn't ideal, but it would be hard to find something this good in DC. Second, DC is colder than Atlanta. It's not as bad as the Midwest. But the older I get, the less tolerant I am of cold temperatures. Third, I've made some good friends here. No one really close, but still a decent group to hang out with. Moving to DC would mean starting over and I know from reading the DC forum that making friends there isn't easy since everyone is so career-oriented. Schools aren't an issue since I have no kids.

I'm at a point in my life where I need to commit. On the one hand, I can't see myself staying here for the long term. But on the other hand, I wonder if the high cost of living and colder weather of DC will just make life there miserable. Obviously, we all have different priorities. For some, career matters more than weather. For others, it's family. But any advice you can offer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
What part of Atlanta do you live in?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Since you've already got a good foundation in Atlanta in terms of a good group of friends and you like the lower cost-of-living and warmer weather in Atlanta, maybe you should just stick it out in Atlanta and continue build on what you've already got going, which doesn't sound like it is all that bad and seems to have some potential.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 01-28-2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
What part of Atlanta do you live in?
I'm near Perimeter Mall. I've thought about moving inside the perimeter, but I work up in Alpharetta. A 20 minute commute is pretty nice. I doubt I'd find that in DC.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,364 times
I wouldn't let the weather be the deciding factor - if you make enough $, you can get away on vacation(s).

Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,296 times
I'd just move to DC.

You have family there and you already think there would be more to do, so why not?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm near Perimeter Mall. I've thought about moving inside the perimeter, but I work up in Alpharetta. A 20 minute commute is pretty nice. I doubt I'd find that in DC.
Atlanta offers about any lifestyle you want to live for cheaper than most places. I think you might need a move. I think you could find what you are looking for in Midtown or Eastside in-town. You said you have lots of job prospects, so unless your current job is next to MARTA you may want to consider looking for new job with a short in town commute maybe even bike or take transit. Of course if you really want to give DC a try you should go for it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I'd just move to DC.

You have family there and you already think there would be more to do, so why not?
I agree with this.

I have toyed with the idea of moving to DC as well due to increase in salary but housing costs are soooooo much more than here or in the Midwest and the husband would rather we move closer to "home" than to DC. We are both from the Great Lakes area.

I also have family there and job prospects in my field would actually increase my salary about 30% or more but I am cheap and know I wouldn't spend the money to live in DC and I am not a fan of suburban living. I wouldn't even mind living in the hood in DC but it is more expensive to live in hood DC than a nice area here lol.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
I think you should go. It sounds like you want to.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
By the numbers, D.C. isn't significantly colder than Atlanta, more mild actually with an average low temperature only 4 degrees lower, and an average high temperature only 5 degrees lower than Atlanta. I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta