Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There currently is a mini-precinct on upper Alabama Street.
The key word in the sentence is "NEW"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
That's unbelievable for a commander in our police force to speak like that to area residents - he should immediately be reprimanded. Also, this is why I think there is a REASON that underground stays the way it is. The fact that the mayor focuses so much on the other parts of downtown but never even mentions the 5 Points area is suspicious to me. There is no good reason why the capitol building, federal, and city offices should stay in an area like that, and it is weird to me that the people who make the laws do nothing to change the area.
That commander needs to lose his position over that comment... That is UNACCEPTABLE from a commander in "LAW ENFORCEMENT." Reading that has pissed me off!

I think you made a very interesting observation... Hmmmm...
Any "Reason" you can think of to point out why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
The residents have been trying for two a decade to get someone to open something other than nail salons, weave shops, and gold teeth stores. If you actually walk down Peachtree from Marietta Street to Mitchell Street, you will see that every storefront is occupied, but not with stores that cater to downtown residents or office workers.

As I asked before, can everyone reach out to a young, entrepreneurial friend that wants to open a cool, hip shop or restaurant to look at south downtown? East Atlanta, Little Five Points, even Decatur Square were all areas with crappy Quik Marts and sketchy street people before someone took a chance. There are numerous storefronts on Broad between MLK and Mitchell that are available for rent, and even the landlords of some of the occupied spaces on Peachtree will kick out current month-to-month tenants if someone comes along with a better offer.
I sure wish I could... Atlanta has such a perfect opportunity to turn South Downtown/5 Points/Underground Area & Fairlie-Poplar into a great entertaining district... Maybe we should just copy and do whatever San Diego did...
About 20 years ago, the Gaslamp District was run down, dangerous and not the place to be. NOW, it is a GREAT place to be. Great for the heart of San Diego. Not sure what they did and how they did it, but it worked.

I think they may need to seriously just say screw walking the fine line of trying not to violate any humane ethical rules and just round up and push all the homeless out of the area... All the homeless zombies roaming the streets of downtown Atlanta really hurt business downtown. SOMETHING's gotta give..........

Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 AM

^^^
Maybe step one to cleaning up Underground could be this:::

-Atlanta owns land way out in Cherokee County that is reserved for a 2nd airport (that will probably never happen...)
But, if that land IS Atlanta land... Then use it.

Build a decent sized scale community made up of Homeless shelter after shelter after shelter. Then fill the area with humane and homeless services: Soup kitchens, clothing missions, help for the homeless, etc...

Then round up the homeless from down there and move them out to that new area....

PR disaster?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
^^^

-Atlanta owns land way out in Cherokee County that is reserved for a 2nd airport (that will probably never happen...)

Build a decent sized scale community made up of Homeless shelter after shelter after shelter. Then fill the area with humane and homeless services: Soup kitchens, clothing missions, help for the homeless, etc...

Then round up the homeless from down there and move them out to that new area....

PR disaster?
Utter disaster. Can't forceably relocate folks. Even if it might be in their best interests. Now, if it were an aptional thing, then it might work. But, I imagine most homeless would not chose that. Just guessing.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
That commander needs to lose his position over that comment... That is UNACCEPTABLE from a commander in "LAW ENFORCEMENT." Reading that has pissed me off!

I think you made a very interesting observation... Hmmmm...
Any "Reason" you can think of to point out why?

I sure wish I could... Atlanta has such a perfect opportunity to turn South Downtown/5 Points/Underground Area & Fairlie-Poplar into a great entertaining district... Maybe we should just copy and do whatever San Diego did...
About 20 years ago, the Gaslamp District was run down, dangerous and not the place to be. NOW, it is a GREAT place to be. Great for the heart of San Diego. Not sure what they did and how they did it, but it worked.

I think they may need to seriously just say screw walking the fine line of trying not to violate any humane ethical rules and just round up and push all the homeless out of the area... All the homeless zombies roaming the streets of downtown Atlanta really hurt business downtown. SOMETHING's gotta give..........
Its funny how all those homeless aggressive bums in San Francisco don't hurt that cities image but Atlanta its the end of the world.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
^^^

PR disaster?
LOL.Yeh right.You would think it was Frankenstein oming and the villagers of Cherokee county would be out with there pitch forks.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Utter disaster. Can't forceably relocate folks. Even if it might be in their best interests. Now, if it were an aptional thing, then it might work. But, I imagine most homeless would not chose that. Just guessing.
Oh, not "guessing" OF COURSE they wouldn't! That's why I said maybe they just need to say screw it (screw the human rights/PR side of things & just go for it and let somebody be prepared to take the fall & apologize later...) LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its funny how all those homeless aggressive bums in San Francisco don't hurt that cities image but Atlanta its the end of the world.
Yeah, I know. I don't know why, but I hear over & over from people around town about how that (homeless people) has something to do with why they don't like hanging around certain areas. So in Atlanta, for some reason it becomes a business problem.

Funny how in SF they are all over downtown, especially in front of City Hall, but it doesn't seem to make the area feel unsafe (unless you're down in Mission).

Quote:
LOL.Yeh right.You would think it was Frankenstein oming and the villagers of Cherokee county would be out with there pitch forks.
Yes... Yes they would. That's when the designated Fall-guy goes "Oops." Sorry...
I'm kidding of course.

Maybe set up the homeless town center somewhere inside Atlanta city limits then, except outside the Beltline and away from residential areas...

I'm not serious about all of this btw... just throwing out ideas no matter how silly

Old 02-09-2014, 12:44 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Wow, you guys are making the homeless in Atlanta seem mean. I would move all of them to a new shelter, maybe one of the abandoned buildings in Atlanta. All of the ones with mental problems need to be in a hospital.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
I was just thinking about why so one wont come in and develop underground again.

The city was in worse shape then when they did it and peole were not moving back into downtown like they are now.So why can't Underground work this time?

Especially geared toward GSU Students.

I remember their was a GAP and Victoria Secret in Underground.Why not even one of those mini Wal-Mart's like at Georgia Tech?

I honetly belive its time has come.It it just me or am I wearing rose colored glasses?
Underground had many "mall" type stores back in the early 90s, like Gap and VS. The place was raped and pillaged after the Rodney King verdict, and most of those stores moved out shortly thereafter. It was all downhill from there. A riot can easily create a perception of danger in an area like Underground and cause people to stay away...it can take decades to get people to come back.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
I think they mean Little 5 Points.
Yeah, meant little five points. Thanks for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta