Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 12,870 times

Advertisements

Howdy everyone!

I'm moving to GA in a couple of months and I have been debating which city to settle in. I'm a 27, male and not a huge party animal so city life isn't a main concern. I do however like to go out every once in a while. I will be working in ATL, GA. That being said...I have narrowed the cities of choice down to 3. Johns Creek, Buford, and Flowery Branch. Can anyone give me some feedback and point me in the right direction as far as safety, neighborhoods,things to do,etc.

Which city would you move to if you were in my shoes?

Thanks everyone your advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
How did you choose those three cities? Not typical for someone 27 and single. You indicate you will be working in Atlanta but are you using ATL in general terms for the metro area because the areas you have chosen are not the best commutes into the city. Give us a bit more specifics as to where you will be working.

If you are working in Atlanta - Buckhead, Midtown or Downtown than Vignings/Cumberland Mall area would be a good choice for someone not looking to be in the heart of the action

Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM

I have a friend who lived in buford for about a year and recommended I move there. Also ive been googling the saftey of the cities and i think these seem pretty safe. Im single but looking to settle down and possible raise a family in about 2 years or so...so might as well start getting used to it. I will be working near the Georgia aquarium area.

Last edited by Alex86; 02-12-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,539,660 times
Those places are good, but if you're working in Atlanta, you'll want a city with transit such as Roswell, Alpharetta, or Dunwoody. Buckhead might also be a good choice. Traffic into Atlanta is horrendous and you'll be thankful if you don't have to drive.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:19 AM

Would Duluth be a good option as well?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:26 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,539,660 times
I can't comment school wise, but traffic wise, it's about as bad as the three you mentioned. Depending on the part of Duluth you choose, it may be very ethnically diverse with an emphasis on Southeast Asian culture, the main mall/shopping area in Duluth has a lot of foreign stores now (Koren I believe). Not saying this is a bad thing of course, there are plenty of classically (stereotypically?) suburban areas in Duluth as well.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM

890 posts, read 1,651,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
I have a friend who lived in buford for about a year and recommended I move there. Also ive been googling the saftey of the cities and i think these seem pretty safe. Im single but looking to settle down and possible raise a family in about 2 years or so...so might as well start getting used to it. I will be working near the Georgia aquarium area.
If you're looking to live in the suburbs, why not Smyrna? Those outer suburbs are too far away. I have a 45 minute commute. I'm the same age as yourself and it sucks. You'll spend more money on gas and car maintenance.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,406,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
Would Duluth be a good option as well?
I live in Johns Creek. On the rare occasion I have to go into the city during rush hour, it can take upwards of an hour. The evening rush hour commute back to Johns Creek can take up to an hour and a half. That having been said, Johns Creek is a nice place to raise a family. Not sure I would want to live out in these parts were I younger and single, though.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:16 PM

100 posts, read 119,273 times
As a non party animal young and single person, I would not want to live in any of those areas until I was married with children. The commute sounds awful and when you do choose to socialize you will resent the drive. Have you looked at Vinings, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, even parts of Roswell or if your budget allows Buckhead or Brookhaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta