Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Just something i notice about Atlanta, i lived all over this great nation. Born in the most stereotypical laid back place Orange County, California which is still pretty fast paced, what i notice is that in most large American cities is that life is so stressful, the people are stressed out, no one is really friendly around strangers, etc.... however Atlanta has a different feel to it, i think its the combination of all the greenery and the fact that it is so nice and spread out...

walking down the street people don't stare at their feet, its not unusual for someone to look at you and smile or even wave and say "hi"
ordering a coffee was tough, the barista couldn't understand me because i was apparently talking too fast and it practically took her an hour to make my drink...
I hear the stories of people giving out free food to the people that were stuck in traffic jams during that winter storm...

it all just seems unusual for a city that is so large, this is something i usually see in Lincoln Nebraska, or Madison Wisconsin. anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
You're right. It's normal for the South. That's why so many Southerners think the rest of the country is full of a$$holes

Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
The funny thing is driving on the freeways, everybody thinks they are NASCAR drivers.

I grew up most of my life and learned to drive in Minnesota, you see maybe a couple cars going about 90 everyone else is going 60-70.

Atlanta? everybody even the semi trucks were pushing 80!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
The highway is where the city is the most fast paced

Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Youve never driven on any of the roads have you? Instant New Yorker effect.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
The problem is that Atlanta wants to be something it isn't. For decades Atlanta has tried to be like a northern city. They want to be denser, more business like, more urbane, etc. etc. I never understood but I suppose it has something to do with what happened to it in the civil war. They wanted to seemingly shake off it's southern characteristics. Instead of trying to be something else they should celebrate what it is. What's so wrong with being a slower paced city? What's so wrong with celebrating it's genteel southern charm? To me it's a big selling point. Come live in Atlanta-small town living and values mixed with big city amenities. Atlanta-the biggest small town on earth! Atlanta-a little hustle and bustle amidst a whole lot of slow genteel charm. Only the most hardcore highrise urbanist could resist Atlanta's charms when walking through Inman Park, Ansley Park, or Druid Hills. I said all of this to say that Atlanta shouldn't WANT to be like Boston/Chicago/NYC. et al. It always wanted to though for some odd reason. Atlanta is something truly unique that could only exist in the American south. Celebrate it!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Youve never driven on any of the roads have you? Instant New Yorker effect.
I never noticed anything unusual on the surface streets, but the drivers on the freeways/highways are insane! Half the people want to drive 55 and the other half want to drive 90 and they're all in all of the lanes! Lots of weaving through different lanes on Atlanta's freeways when the traffic is moving.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
it's the weed

Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I said all of this to say that Atlanta shouldn't WANT to be like Boston/Chicago/NYC. et al. It always wanted to though for some odd reason.
I don't think Atlanta has ever wanted to be like Boston, Chicago or NYC.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just something i notice about Atlanta, i lived all over this great nation. Born in the most stereotypical laid back place Orange County, California which is still pretty fast paced, what i notice is that in most large American cities is that life is so stressful, the people are stressed out, no one is really friendly around strangers, etc.... however Atlanta has a different feel to it, i think its the combination of all the greenery and the fact that it is so nice and spread out...

walking down the street people don't stare at their feet, its not unusual for someone to look at you and smile or even wave and say "hi"
ordering a coffee was tough, the barista couldn't understand me because i was apparently talking too fast and it practically took her an hour to make my drink...
I hear the stories of people giving out free food to the people that were stuck in traffic jams during that winter storm...

it all just seems unusual for a city that is so large, this is something i
usually see in Lincoln Nebraska, or Madison Wisconsin. anyone else feel this way?
Atlanta is really nice,green and people are friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: