Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,226,930 times

Advertisements

Neighborhoods in southwest Atlanta and South Fulton are left plagued by horrific violent crime - often committed by the communities' own jobless, hopeless kids - while city leaders focus on fancy downtown stadiums and streetcars.

That was the general sentiment from a frustrated crowd of hundreds last Thursday night at a "Crime and Safety Summit" convened at Cascade United Methodist Church by Fulton County Commission Chairman John Eaves..."

Full Story: Southwest Atlanta, South Fulton residents wonder when they'll see much ballyhooed decline in crime | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,150,622 times
Well, I know someone who lives in this area and I am told that there have been countless occasions in which a burglary has occurred and the police take up to 30 minutes to arrive (if they arrive at all). And I am told thta these are with broad daylight late afternoon entries in which you would assume the force is not terribly busy. You cannot discourage crime if the criminals know the police are not going to arrive in time to have a deterrent effect on the situation. More needs to be done with police response times and perhaps more staffing needs to be put in place to provide for more coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Neighborhoods in southwest Atlanta and South Fulton are left plagued by horrific violent crime - often committed by the communities' own jobless, hopeless kids - while city leaders focus on fancy downtown stadiums and streetcars.

That was the general sentiment from a frustrated crowd of hundreds last Thursday night at a "Crime and Safety Summit" convened at Cascade United Methodist Church by Fulton County Commission Chairman John Eaves..."

Full Story: Southwest Atlanta, South Fulton residents wonder when they'll see much ballyhooed decline in crime | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,449,713 times
I was wondering when people would wake up, particularly the African American community. Our neighborhoods need strong family before economic development.

Some may applaud when more police officers are hired, but I say invest that money in the youth, marriages, and those things that build a strong family unit.

Atlanta's black community is now seeing the harvest of when the Fatherless and Motherless grow up with no guidance. The number one fruit of no guidance is disrespect for all authority and the spirit of murder. There also is fake African American success thing that is going on in Atlanta. I think title like the Hip Hop Capital and Real Housewives of Atlanta portrays are shallowness and superficiality that seduces those without discernment to go after things that have no meaning. It just amazes me with so many so called powerful churches in community, and they are worse off. I think its time for people to get honest about the truth state of what's going on.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,753,076 times
No one cares about crime south of I 20.
They just care about what's happening in their precious neighborhoods, and could care less about others. And then they get mad when something happens where they live and act like crime can't come in their safe little bubble.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
No one cares about crime south of I 20.
They just care about what's happening in their precious neighborhoods, and could care less about others. And then they get mad when something happens where they live and act like crime can't come in their safe little bubble.
Everyone should get mad about crime in their neighborhoods. And, I do think that folks care about crime in the city generally. It is foolish of the folks that don't. I wish we had the financial and societal resources to really do something about it all over the place. I wish, too, that individuals made better decisions despite economic disadvantages (and advantages, too, for that matter) - many have. What is the solution?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,244,876 times
I hope these groups can begin some meaningful changes. The residents need to demand more of their police.

As excited as I am about the streetcar system and bike lanes, I would be pissed if that sort of high level investment was going on in other neighborhoods while mine had terrible police response times. Police aren't the only answer, but stats like that make it a welcoming area for crime.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,150,622 times
Atlwarrior, I think residents of that area would be interested in hearing your message. How would money be invested in youth, marriage and those things that build a strong family unit? Would this be like opening up more Boys Clubs in the area, that sort of thing? Working with teens in high school to fill the void that you mention being in place in some of the family units? You should take this message around. You are right that there does seem to be alot of churches in Atlanta but crime is still sky high. Are churches getting involved with the communities that they serve or moreso just serving the parishioners? How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I was wondering when people would wake up, particularly the African American community. Our neighborhoods need strong family before economic development.

Some may applaud when more police officers are hired, but I say invest that money in the youth, marriages, and those things that build a strong family unit.

Atlanta's black community is now seeing the harvest of when the Fatherless and Motherless grow up with no guidance. The number one fruit of no guidance is disrespect for all authority and the spirit of murder. There also is fake African American success thing that is going on in Atlanta. I think title like the Hip Hop Capital and Real Housewives of Atlanta portrays are shallowness and superficiality that seduces those without discernment to go after things that have no meaning. It just amazes me with so many so called powerful churches in community, and they are worse off. I think its time for people to get honest about the truth state of what's going on.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As excited as I am about the streetcar system and bike lanes, I would be pissed if that sort of high level investment was going on in other neighborhoods while mine had terrible police response times. Police aren't the only answer, but stats like that make it a welcoming area for crime.
You said it, tiki.

I bet it if you just carved out the $40 million that the streetcar ran over budget you could hire enough police officers to shut this craziness down immediately.

Is that the permanent fix for social problems? No, but it sure as heck makes a good starting point. Citizens get some instant relief, and criminals get the message that you don't come messing around here.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,226,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post

Great post...

Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times
I don't know about the Atlanta portion but it makes no sense for Fulton County Police to be so lax in enforcement. I'm assuming, a lot of officers left when the Northside cities were formed. South Fulton should be overflowing with officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta