Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,419 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a single family home in Atlanta probably around east cobb, roswell or sandy springs with good schools near by and around 300k. Yesterday while driving by east cobb, on johnson ferry road near east cobb libraby, i saw that there are some new homes coming up. I could not slow down to get the information on the homes but was wondering is anyone knew anything about this, like the price, website etc.

thanks,
smackie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM

161 posts, read 219,814 times
Ashton Woods is the builder. It's going to be a combination of townhouses and single family homes. I read most SFHs are going to be $600-800+ and the townhouses $400-600. My real estate agent also told me all the SFHs were already under contract. Apparently there was a waiting list months in advance! I asked someone in their sales office if they knew of any other developments in the works and they laughed like that was the most absurdly hilarious thing they'd ever heard.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 PM

119 posts, read 182,434 times
From talking to a family member who was looking in East Cobb, for $300,000, you're not in the new home price range - basically an older home, that probably needs some updating.

Their budget was $350K. They ended up buying a new home in Kennesaw for $350K.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,594,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
Ashton Woods is the builder. It's going to be a combination of townhouses and single family homes. I read most SFHs are going to be $600-800+ and the townhouses $400-600. My real estate agent also told me all the SFHs were already under contract. Apparently there was a waiting list months in advance! I asked someone in their sales office if they knew of any other developments in the works and they laughed like that was the most absurdly hilarious thing they'd ever heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
From talking to a family member who was looking in East Cobb, for $300,000, you're not in the new home price range - basically an older home, that probably needs some updating.

Their budget was $350K. They ended up buying a new home in Kennesaw for $350K.
These are excellent points.

Finding a new home for as low as $300k will likely be a significant challenge in Roswell, Sandy Springs and (especially) East Cobb for various reasons.

Finding a new detached single-family home in Roswell and Sandy Springs will be difficult because those areas are built-out with established development.

Finding a new detached single-family home in East Cobb will be difficult because that area is almost completely built-out and the quality of the schools is exceptionally-high.

One is not just going to waltz into an area like East Cobb and buy a brand-spankin' new detached single-family home for $300k in a nearly built-out area where the schools are widely-regarded as some of the absolute best in the entire Southeastern U.S.

If you really want to live in areas like East Cobb, Roswell or Sandy Springs on a budget of only $300k, like ATLfromJAX mentioned, chances are that you are going to have to settle for an older home (detached SFH or a townhome) that needs updates.

If you want a newer home for $300k, you are likely going to have to look in areas that are further-out, like in West Cobb County, Northwest Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County or Forsyth County.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,795,537 times
Smyrna. It is not only affordable, but on the top-end perimeter, with bicycling trails and decent schools.

Look at Woodbridge Crossing in Smyrna, near the Silver Comet Trail in the Nickajack School district. It's along the East-West Connector so it's very convenient for Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Downtown, and of course Cumberland/Vinings. There's a new Sprouts organic grocer that's about to go in on the E-W Connector in 2015 near South Cobb Dr, and it's within striking distance of plenty of eateries at West Village, Ivy Walk, Vinings Village, and Market Village.

These homes are also a steal around $300k. Older similar-sized homes in the area are selling for more. The crazy thing is there are million dollar townhomes and million dollar homes on small lots just down the street at Ivy Walk. But small lots go a bit cheaper that far up the connector, apparently.

Edit: I just saw that it's sold out, so may be too late. :-( Although it looks like there's a new development about to happen next to it near Fontaine Rd.

http://theprovidencegroup.com/woodbridge-crossing

There's also new homes coming in the center of Smyrna - David Weekley Homes. They will be a bit smaller, but also a bit cheaper too. That's the Smyrna Elementary district (formerly Brown). http://www.davidweekleyhomes.com/

If you are willing to wait a bit, there's a $300 million mixed-use development coming along the Chattahoochee in Smyrna, called Riverview Landing. I believe it includes single-family homes on the periphery.

Plenty of tear-down rebuilds in the center of Smyrna as well. I'm not sure how you get those - probably have to find an investor.

I'd definitely get an agent to help.

Last edited by netdragon; 03-27-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,419 times
Thank you for all the responses. I recently moved to Gerogia and so want not aware of the new home prices. So thought 300k was fair enough. I sepcifically was looking for east cobb as I have young children and would like to move to a good school district. Everything that starts new, is sold out before even the information about it gets around. . I will anyway look for an agent to help me with this, but though of getting help from this forum gurus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta