Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Just because white folks have not experienced what blacks have doesn't mean whites don't have compassion. I;m not taking up for white folks but I do know there are a lot of whites that do have compassion for the black experience.
Thank you. A lot of us are trying to break that barrier but we run across resistance from both sides!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Just because white folks have not experienced what blacks have doesn't mean whites don't have compassion. I;m not taking up for white folks but I do know there are a lot of whites that do have compassion for the black experience.
I know plenty of whites who have compassion for the black experience. But to tell black people in any city in America that they will never experience racism in X or Y city just because it has a lot of blacks living there is not realistic. Racism hasn't gone anywhere.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I know plenty of whites who have compassion for the black experience. But to tell black people in any city in America that they will never experience racism in X or Y city just because it has a lot of blacks living there is not realistic. Racism hasn't gone anywhere.
I assume by this you're talking about other posters. Who said that racism doesn't exist?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I assume by this you're talking about other posters. Who said that racism doesn't exist?
What a lot of blacks and whites call racism is more than likely not racism. I do think it exists, but I also think it is much less prevalent than at any time in history.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Typical.

Why do you even want to use the word ...

^^^^
This.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
... Basically you are saying that blacks who are experiencing racism shouldn't speak up about it because it makes YOU uncomfortable. That is your issue that YOU need to work out.
Quote:
No. You just want to accuse me of this because my bringing up the topic it makes you uncomfortable. Why people are uncomfortable with people who are different from them varies from person to person. You are saying you don't feel comfortable around blacks because you should be able to call them N words without them getting offended.

I'm not jumping on your case, your argument is immature, really.

You are speaking too much truth, Atlanta_BD.

Spot on posts.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Even here in Conyers, I accidentally sped in a school zone because I didn't realize that I was still in one. I was pulled over and the white cop actually let me go, probably because of my manners. It was surprising to me. Very shocked. No ticket.

I just feel like, if you're nice, don't come across as hostile, and have proper manners, for the most part, you won't have much trouble. And no I'm not trying to be an 'Uncle Tom' because my parents have experience discrimination especially from cops.
Good on you, ant. Being polite and respectful to one another does a lot to grease the wheels of society.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:07 AM

184 posts, read 205,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Atlanta is a very progressive city for black people. Caucasians make up the majority of the population in those areas you mentioned. But there are smaller pockets of ethnic groups such as blacks, Indians and Middle Easterners. You'll be fine as long as you're wearing a jogging outfit and accessories such as a headband, wristbands and iPod earbuds. You might draw suspicion to yourself if you're wearing a hoodie, sagging jeans, and running while constantly looking back over your shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
jogging outfit, headband, wristbands?

No respectable runner would be caught dead dressed like that. If I see you running down the road in such an outfit, white or black - I am calling the fashion police!

I did laugh when I saw the headband, wristband comment. When I run I usually just wear running shorts that come to about my knee, running shoes, and some kind of wicking shirt( running shirt designed to keep you cool and dry). I never sag my pants it looks silly. And what is with hoodies? Yes sometimes I wear a hoodie when I run with my running shorts if it is cold, but so does everybody else. I sometimes feel like hoodie has become synonymous with thug, but only for young black men. Would a young white woman wearing a hoodie look like a thug?
I've briefly visited Atlanta before and it seemed to be one of the more progressive cities in the south. I'm from a very small town and this will be my first time living in a big city, I'll definitely keep an open mind and I won't go looking to be offended. Sometimes our thoughts lead to self fulfilling prophecies.

Last edited by kgpremed13; 04-13-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 11:21 AM

524 posts, read 521,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Very strange. I have never experienced racism in Atlanta...ever. Maybe I'm just lucky.
I've never experienced racism either. I think the ones crying racism are either extra sensitive or they have a chip on their shoulders.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I did laugh when I saw the headband, wristband comment. When I run I usually just wear running shorts that come to about my knee, running shoes, and some kind of wicking shirt( running shirt designed to keep you cool and dry). I never sag my pants it looks silly. And what is with hoodies? Yes sometimes I wear a hoodie when I run with my running shorts if it is cold, but so does everybody else. I sometimes feel like hoodie has become synonymous with thug, but only for young black men. Would a young white woman wearing a hoodie look like a thug?
I've briefly visited Atlanta before and it seemed to be one of the more progressive cities in the south. I'm from a very small town and this will be my first time living in a big city, I'll definitely keep an open mind and I won't go looking to be offended. Sometimes our thoughts lead to self fulfilling prophecies.

Very true.

And the Druid Hills area, as said, has Emory University and Emory Hospital and the CDC, so there are lots of diverse groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta