Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 01:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yeah, has been for about 50 years.
I'm pretty sure that Arjay thinks most everything he posts through. Why don't you just relax?
oh man, this thread is getting better by the minute!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A man used to take pride in the little piece of wilderness that he'd carved out for himself and his family. A place where his children could breathe fresh air and run and play in safety. A place where there was soft grass instead of hard pavement, and where he could hear the birds sing and watch the plants go through their yearly cycle.

But I guess that is just another part of the American dream that has been cast aside.
What if I don't want to live in a piece of wilderness? What if I want a small lot? What if I want to be close to work and entertainment?

Are you seriously saying that people who don't want to deal with a big yard and other outdoor maintenance are choosing that road because they are lazy and not going after "the American Dream"? Do I need to have a multi-acre yard to qualify as "American"?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:11 PM

284 posts, read 590,804 times
I live intown and like greenery-- even in midtown we had a 1910s "garden apt" with a courtyard. I didn't grow up with lawn maintenance, but bought a CoA home on a sharp slope, about 5000 sq ft of grass/flower beds/wooded area, and no driveway so any equipment has to come up steep stairs (car is hidden in an underground detached 1920s garage). No way I could take care of the yard on my own. I pay a small local business and tend the garden/beds for my own enjoyment. Hope to gravel most of the front lawn into boxwood-lined paths and plant anything but juniper on the slopes eventually, but a soft patch of clover-inundated-lawn will stay in the backyard around the ponds.

Even when I lived in NYC we had a courtyard (yes in Manhattan). I actually don't care for grass per se (wish I could have a moss lawn!), but then again I don't think I could live off container planting alone as my only vegetation. What I don't want is the crazy maintenance of mowing/seeding/fertilizing/sod replacement/irrigation my acre+ owning coworkers deal with-- even though they don't personally do it, it just seems to be a lot of expense & effort to maintain exotic grass vegetation that apparently needs a lot of help to live here. So even though I greatly admire the lawns and gardens of the Tuxedo Rd set, I'm a bit more cottage garden meets Rousseau vs manicured Versaiiles.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Lawns are really silly things. Their history is as a show of wealth, that you are so rich you have land that you do not grow food on.

But I think the reality is that suburbs were a two generation fad that is fading.

Lawns, unfortunately, will probably stick around even in urban neighborhoods for years to come.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Lawns are really silly things. Their history is as a show of wealth, that you are so rich you have land that you do not grow food on.

But I think the reality is that suburbs were a two generation fad that is fading.

Lawns, unfortunately, will probably stick around even in urban neighborhoods for years to come.
Lawns may be silly but trees and shrubs are critical for a healthy environment - and flowers are just pretty.

As for lawns, you need just enough grass to "rest your eyes". As for trees - crape myrtles and Bradford Pears are not going to cut it. We need good specimen trees especially large hardwoods and softwoods.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
i know this is satire, but in all reality, i don't like "lawns"— they're not a natural feature of our area, they expend a whole lot of water and resources to maintain, and on a personal note they just aren't that pretty. i much prefer yards that reflect the nature of the surrounding area and are habitats where animals and plants can live in.

just a few images from google for what i'm talking about:

and a couple of examples right here in atlanta:

these sorts of yards make the air cleaner, are easier to maintain as they don't require a lot of watering or pruning, and generally add to the beauty of the area. i have no idea why so many people desire this:

especially since they're so hard to achieve and maintain.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
and just to be clear, i didn't prefer a lawn when i was little— i'm a millennial— even though we had a big lawn. what i really loved to do was wander through the forest, build things and play. the lawn was out in the sun: it was hot and uncomfortable. the backyard was shaded and full of woods, and i often found myself playing there while i almost never played in the front yard.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
oh man, this thread is getting better by the minute!
Please tell me what I said that was untrue. .

Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
these sorts of yards make the air cleaner, are easier to maintain as they don't require a lot of watering or pruning, and generally add to the beauty of the area. i have no idea why so many people desire this:

especially since they're so hard to achieve and maintain.
That is one gorgeous lawn. The poor guy probably isn't getting any help from his kids, though.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is one gorgeous lawn. The poor guy probably isn't getting any help from his kids, though.
He's probably getting help from TruGreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta