Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:09 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,163,908 times

Advertisements

Why does Georgia leave it up to the principal re how to spend money?
I've noticed some schools within the same district have different resources. Why would that be acceptable? For example, why is it acceptable that a principal can decide NOT to purchase workbooks for some schools in Fulton County and other principals have used money to purchase workbooks - in the *same* district? Why is it that some schools in APS have books that track the Common Core standards and others say they do not have the money for it?

Should Georgia regulate some of these essentials to ensure that all children have the proper set of books, at least?

This seems so imbalanced. It is troublesome when we are talking the same district and we are talking giving this much discretion to a principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,050,667 times
I know you brought this up before. Can your husband shed any light on the issue? I would certainly expect books to be a given, and I am skeptical about charges that "there isn't enough money", when APS spends more than any surrounding district.

While I understand that, as an employee, your DH can't really make waves, perhaps this conversation should exist between your neighbors.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,774,005 times
This also happens in Clayton. Some schools had study books, while other schools had not ordered books. This year the math teachers had to gather money from students to pay for books.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,075,978 times
The principal sets budgetary spending...I think that is a pretty common thing and not unique to Georgia, but I don't know for sure. I would much rather the principal decide how to spend the school's budget rather than someone in an office that isn't familiar with the needs of the individual school.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Yes, I've brought this issue up but not in it's own thread. I think this is important enough to have a thread of its own. I really don't think we can talk about disparities in public school education enough. My husband says the principal gets to decide how his/her budget is allocated, to a significant extent. This post is about whether things *should* be this way. I think the principals have too much discretion.

Why would this conversation be something that should exist between my neighbors? I am raising this issue because it will affect kids all over. The problem that I see on C-D over and over is this notion of I've got mine, those kids over there will need to deal with their own issues. I do not believe that this should be the attitude. As Georgians, we really should look at education in a statewide manner and seek proper education for all Georgia's children. I care about ALL children and that is the reason I am raising this issue. I guess you don't know it but my kid isn't even going to public school. We are going private. As such, if I was only concerned about my kid, I wouldn't be commenting on ANY of these public school issues bc they are not my personal concern.... However, my purpose for raising this issue is bc ALL kids matter, not just my kid and not just kids in communities that are more affluent and have tons of parental involvement. As you can see from this thread, this issue is arising in Fulton County and also in Clayton County. It is also arising in City of Atlanta. Me talking with my neighbors is not going to do anything to help kids all over Fulton County and all over Clayton County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I know you brought this up before. Can your husband shed any light on the issue? I would certainly expect books to be a given, and I am skeptical about charges that "there isn't enough money", when APS spends more than any surrounding district.

While I understand that, as an employee, your DH can't really make waves, perhaps this conversation should exist between your neighbors.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 05-12-2014 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM

This is crazy and exactly the reason that I started this thread - to gain an understanding of how widespread these intradistrict disparities are. So apparently, some kids not having proper books while others in the same district do is an issue that is not unique throughout metro Atlanta. I wonder if the state of Georgia should consider regulating, at a bare minimum, a set of books that should come out of the budget for each school? Then principals would not have the discretion to not buy math or study books. They'd have to buy math or study books.

This also seems related to the post that I started about making registration fees mandatory. I am surprised to hear that teachers can ask students/parents for money for books. I didn't think teachers could do that with public school. That is ok with me but it seems imbalanced that some principals just don't buy books and the kids suffer while others buy books. And apparently, this is allowed to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
This also happens in Clayton. Some schools had study books, while other schools had not ordered books. This year the math teachers had to gather money from students to pay for books.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 05-12-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Theoretically, I think the idea that the principal has the best insight on what is needed and the decision should be left to him/her, is a great idea. However, it seems that there are disparities in some of the most basic aspects of education, such as whether children have a full set of books. It's the extent of this type of discretion that is a bit worrisome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The principal sets budgetary spending...I think that is a pretty common thing and not unique to Georgia, but I don't know for sure. I would much rather the principal decide how to spend the school's budget rather than someone in an office that isn't familiar with the needs of the individual school.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,075,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Theoretically, I think the idea that the principal has the best insight on what is needed and the decision should be left to him/her, is a great idea. However, it seems that there are disparities in some of the most basic aspects of education, such as whether children have a full set of books. It's the extent of this type of discretion that is a bit worrisome.
So maybe the problem isn't that the principal has budgetary discretion, but that some principals don't have a good grasp on the needs of their schools?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM

That's an idea for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So maybe the problem isn't that the principal has budgetary discretion, but that some principals don't have a good grasp on the needs of their schools?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

Why would this conversation be something that should exist between my neighbors? I am raising this issue because it will affect kids all over. The problem that I see on C-D over and over is this notion of I've got mine, those kids over there will need to deal with their own issues. I do not believe that this should be the attitude. As Georgians, we really should look at education in a statewide manner and seek proper education for all Georgia's children. I care about ALL children and that is the reason I am raising this issue. I guess you don't know it but my kid isn't even going to public school. We are going private. As such, if I was only concerned about my kid, I wouldn't be commenting on ANY of these public school issues bc they are not my personal concern.... However, my purpose for raising this issue is bc ALL kids matter, not just my kid and not just kids in communities that are more affluent and have tons of parental involvement. As you can see from this thread, this issue is arising in Fulton County and also in Clayton County. It is also arising in City of Atlanta. Me talking with my neighbors is not going to do anything to help kids all over Fulton County and all over Clayton County.
I said what I did because I think it's up to the parents to attend school board meetings, and question the expenditures. That needs to come from the grass root level of those most affected. Right or wrong, you are not going to see needed support from those who are pleased with their schools.

And, I understand your child is not enrolled in these poorly run districts, but your husband works for them. If he didn't, would it matter as much to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: