Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 6,183 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Per this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ead-first.html

...here are my questions and some details about us, what we're looking for, etc. Really appreciate any info you could provide. The metro area is huge and what I've been reading here is very inconsistent. It's hard to get a read on the area, so far.

1. Budget
$800-$1100/mo.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
House.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Self-Employed and a mixture of both. Will probably work from home at first but very likely could be commuting, in the near future. I work in IT/IS. Hoping the 'burbs/outlying areas might offer enough opportunity here to avoid a downtown commute.

4. Children(public school vs. private)
Mixture of homeschooling and private.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Mixture of the two. I'd like to be as far from violent crime and conflict but retain as much urban access as possible. Quiet and peaceful at home but lively nearby, when we want it. Must be able to walk around at night without violent confrontation.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Not important.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Middle-class but down-to-earth. Don't care for subdivisions and snobby neighbors. Grew up blue-collar and appreciate friendly, sincere neighbors who know how to mind their own business. We're a white family and have lived in (very white, middle-class) Boise, ID for several years now, but don't have any racial preferences as long as it's relatively peaceful and crime-free.

Originally, due to reasonable rents and proximity to downtown, we were scoping out Decatur. I like that there's a big organic farmer's market nearby, too. After doing some reading and digging into what I could find on the web...they seem to be experiencing a steady rise in crime. Is there a great spot ITP on the east/north-east side with reasonable home rentals? Also looked into Acworth, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, etc. but I'd really prefer to live closer to the city, if possible. Not overly political but I'm a hard-working, libertarian-esque guy.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,694,554 times
First, want to make sure you realize how pricey many private schools are here. Are you considering hybrid homeschooling?

Second -- given your price range, the homes you were seeing likely weren't in the City of Decatur, but rather in areas that have a city of Decatur mailing address but are actually in unincorporated DeKalb. Your price point is probably low for decent areas ITP. The home rental market has been very hot here. What size home do you need/want?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Yes, a mixture of homeschooling and whatever private programs and/or tutors we can find, in our price range. Not critical to where we'll live as we'll have the option of homeschooling entirely, initially.

You're probably right - I'm still getting used to the layout of the metro area and the importance of thinking in terms of county, rather than town. We don't need a lot of house. 3+ bdrm and 1.5+ bath., and a fenced yard for our medium-size dog. I'd prefer 1200+ sq. ft.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,801,563 times
If you can get an IT job in Alpharetta I would recommend Cumming

Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 PM

I still think your price range is a challenge for anything decent close in. Maybe Chamblee or Tucker, but in both those areas you need to be a little selective as some parts are worse than others.

Is there a job bringing you here or what is the draw?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Fair enough. I'll check those out, thanks!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,916,150 times
Your comments seem a bit over-concerned in regards to crime. It happens everywhere. You are more likely to die or get injured driving a 30 mile commute than you are from crime in the city. But you are going to have to decide what makes you feel safe.

For example, my neighborhood (Ormewood Park) is closer in to the city and you could probably find a smaller, modest home here in your price range. But it think some people can feel uncomfortable because there are still some rough parts and break-ins do happen (as they do anywhere). But I love it here, you find people of all walks of life, backgrounds, and income levels living here.

Overall, your budget will be a little tight for what you are looking for. You are going to have to sacrifice one or two of the three: sq ft/yard, close in, sketchiness / newness.

But wherever you choose don't underestimate your commute during rush hour. Living close to work will be very valuable.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,062,446 times
There is no sugar coating it, crime is going to be higher in Atlanta Ga than Boise ID (its not because of the size of the city either) - its just fact. However if you use common sense you most likely will be fine. We've never had a problem in 7 years living in the city.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM

It's out of concern for my family, and the fact that we're coming from a smaller city where it's safe to walk around and enjoy almost every part, virtually any time of the day or night. Rare, I know...but it's what we've lived for 12 yrs. I'm not overly sensitive, but wouldn't want to live where we feel threatened or that violent crime was the norm. I would consider someone breaking into my home a violent crime.

I'll check Ormewood Park, thanks. Your story is similar to what I read about several areas ITP, but those opinions are mixed based on who's commenting, of course.

I'd sacrifice proximity to downtown before anything else. That being said, what's the best bang for my buck, OTP? I'd still like to be within 30 min. of downtown, between peak traffic hours.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiFamily View Post
It's out of concern for my family, and the fact that we're coming from a smaller city where it's safe to walk around and enjoy almost every part, virtually any time of the day or night. Rare, I know...but it's what we've lived for 12 yrs. I'm not overly sensitive, but wouldn't want to live where we feel threatened or that violent crime was the norm. I would consider someone breaking into my home a violent crime.

I'll check Ormewood Park, thanks. Your story is similar to what I read about several areas ITP, but those opinions are mixed based on who's commenting, of course.

I'd sacrifice proximity to downtown before anything else. That being said, what's the best bang for my buck, OTP? I'd still like to be within 30 min. of downtown, between peak traffic hours.
Why 30 minutes to downtown, frankly the vast majority of IT jobs are OTP Alpraretta is one location, Suwanee maybe another (lots of data centers there.)

30 minutes to downtown is probably Roswell, Duluth, East Cobb (parts of), but not sure how far your $ goes there.

The further out you go, the easier it is to find bang for your bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta