Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best ATL Hospital?
Emory 4 16.00%
Emory Midtown 2 8.00%
St. Joseph's 4 16.00%
Northside 7 28.00%
Piedmont 7 28.00%
Grady 6 24.00%
Other (Specify) 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's why I said I never knew anybody who ended up there voluntarily....you get taken there when something horrible happens.

The trauma doctors are fantastic and save your life. Then you hope the ancillary staff doesn't kill you while you are recovering.

Visiting a friend at Grady was the only time I've ever seen armed guards in hospital rooms and patients handcuffed to their beds.
Maybe its the only hospital you've been to that has the capacity to handle dangerous situations like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Absolutely can not believe people are voting SHADY GRADY as the BEST hospital.........

That's just down right crazy!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's why I said I never knew anybody who ended up there voluntarily....you get taken there when something horrible happens.

The trauma doctors are fantastic and save your life. Then you hope the ancillary staff doesn't kill you while you are recovering.

Visiting a friend at Grady was the only time I've ever seen armed guards in hospital rooms and patients handcuffed to their beds.
What you saw was an inmate from the local jail or a prison. If an inmate can't be treated in house (jail or prison), they are transported to a trauma center. They are handcuffed to the bed and have security because they are prisoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Absolutely can not believe people are voting SHADY GRADY as the BEST hospital.........

That's just down right crazy!
I don't know much about Grady. However, it has been my experience that the trauma centers that serve those who can't pay, have a negative stigma. I think that part of the undesirability comes from the sheer amount of people that simply hang out at these hospitals. Admittedly, some of them are rather scary and annoying! There are some people who don't eat, bath, or get meds unless they are in one of America's trauma hospitals. There are people who literally hang out at these hospitals. It's warm, they receive human interaction, and it's relatively safe, compared to the street. The environment can be dangerous. Some of you have seen the television drama E.R. Gang-banger gets shot, rival gang-members comes to the hospital for revenge. Cook County Hospital is Chicago's answer to Grady Memorial. Both are public hospitals, level one trauma centers, and both are teaching hospitals.

That said, from the provider side of things. I've heard nothing but good things about Grady.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Cook County Hospital is Chicago's answer to Grady Memorial. Both are public hospitals, level one trauma centers, and both are teaching hospitals.

That said, from the provider side of things. I've heard nothing but good things about Grady.
I think that is key. Grady trains some of the best doctors and nurses in the state.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
I would say Grady is a good hospital just be prepared to stay a week in the waiting room.

But emory is the best...they saved my sister in law's life a month ago and......

Doctors successfully remove massive tumor from woman's stomach | www.wsbtv.com

Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Emory isn't in Atlanta. Only Emory midtown. Northside isn't in Atlanta. So this poll is flawed and arbitrary. You should have just made it metro-wide if you were going to cherry pick out of town hospitals.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Emory isn't in Atlanta. Only Emory midtown. Northside isn't in Atlanta. So this poll is flawed and arbitrary. You should have just made it metro-wide if you were going to cherry pick out of town hospitals.
Dude...METRO Atlanta then. This area is all considered Atlanta.

If you're having a baby...Northside. If you have cancer...Emory. If you have a gun shot...Grady. It depends on you're individual needs.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Since I was asked to specify by the poll, I chose Wellstar. Wellstar is a big one in metro Atlanta too. I've done Wellstar, Piedmont (Vinings), Emory, and Emory Adventist Smyrna (which isn't actually owned by Emory).

I don't really find much of a difference between them. Wellstar makes a really good effort to make the birthing area feel like home and is finishing up some upgrades. Wellstar Kennestone is prettier but I actually have better experiences at Wellstar Cobb. Never been to any of the other Wellstar hospitals. They are about to build one in "Vinings" near my home and across from West Village. That'll be interesting and more convenient and all I hope is that they don't block the skyline view in the area.

I've had the best experiences at Wellstar because of their large network, lots of clinics so you don't always have to go into the hospital, but it's near negligible. The Piedmont clinic in Vinings is pretty good too, but doesn't take as many insurers. What I've found is what's important tends to be the doctors you have, in or outpatient, and what insurances they take, which can make all the difference.

I used to hate Wellstar's billing practices for portions not covered by insurance, but they've stopped using 3rd parties for billing.

My father worked at Emory as a doctor. He liked how they did a lot of cutting edge things and tough cases referred to them in his specialty.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-11-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Actually, if you have breast or other female cancers, Northside is probably your best bet.

And, unfortunately, if you have a rare or tough cancer, metro Atlanta hospitals may not be your best answer.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 36,424 times
= =Should be Emory Healthcare System. Grady is not part of Emory, but most doctors there are from Emory...

There is no any other giant and great hospital systems can compete Emory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: