Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,928,702 times

Advertisements

Things are getting good look at the stores that opened in the last 3 years in Atlanta

Prada Bvgalri. A expanded LV from 5000 sqft to 9,000 now carries ready to wear, Fendi, Vice Camuto
Herve Leger,Trina Turk ,Jack Rodgers Rebecca Taylor Giuseppe Zanotti. Expanded Ferragamo store

Then take a look at what we already have

Burberry
2 level Ralph Lauren
Giorgio Armani
valentino
Very large Gucci
Vince
Jefferys
Anne fontaine
Cartier
St John
Hugo Boss
Nicole Miller
Ellie Tahari
Versace
Jimmy choo
Bottega Veneta
Ballys
Intermix
Agent provocateur
Hublot
David Yurman

Other small retail
Topshop Last Call Neimans coming to Buckhead and Scotch and Soda opened at shops around lenox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,522,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Dallas and Houston has a lot more rich people than Atlanta so they can support more luxury retail. Miami and Dallas has more luxury stores than Atlanta so more shoppers looking for luxury retail would go to those cities instead of Atlanta. Hopefully BA will make Atlanta luxury shopping equal to those cities so more people regionally will shop here verses going to Dallas or Miami
Dallas and Houston have more rich people per se but Atlanta has a larger market to sustain it. Atlanta is already more of a shopping destination than Houston and is equal to it in terms of high end retail, with some giving Atlanta the edge in this category. Those in Belle Meade and Mountain Brook trot to Buckhead to shop too. Dallas has more high end shopping than the other two, but they are quickly closing the gap.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,522,852 times
I read somewhere (I believe the Atlanta Business Chronicle) that many of the tenants OliverMcMillan recruited to Buckhead Atlanta were initially committed to the River Oaks project in Houston. It is true that Houston's luxury market would be a better investment than Atlanta because not only is it a wealthier market, but the city also attracts a large number of wealthy Latin American merchants. Atlanta's trade market is, however, considerably larger and has been traditionally underserved. As far as their respective retail rosters, any differences between the two are pretty marginal imo (Houston for example has Miu Miu, Chanel, John Varvatos, and one of only two flagship Kate Spade stores, while Atlanta is home to a Giuseppe Zanotti, Agent Provocateur, Elie Tahari, and Bloomingdale's), and that is likely not to change anytime soon.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I would think that if anything Atlanta would be on the same level as Dallas and Houston concerning fashion, if not a bit more advanced being that it is on the East Coast. Fashion is generally a reflection of wealth. Like we only have a Nordstroms, and none of the stores mentioned in this thread, but Hampton Roads is primarily a working class area, and more about the beach culture so it is a lot more casual not at all reflective of the fashion you find in other cities so even those with wealth, would probably rather wear something like Tommy Bahama than Dior or Louis Vuitton.

Sort of reminds me the differences I saw in Cincinnati over say, Akron and Cleveland. Cincinnati was very conservative, and they had a Sak's Fifth downtown. Cleveland and Akron the theme was a lot darker, a lot of Black, Grey, darker tones not as "Midwest" as say khaki, or camel; what you see a lot in Chicago. Fashion here tends to trend more colorful, louder than what I'll find back home, with more pastels, etc.

Funny that you mention Nordstroms because that is essentially the best that we have now, and everything else is beneath that (Macy's, Dillards, etc.). We have a lot of retail, but we're not a top tier market, we simply have a lot of retail per capita.

I haven't been in the city for a minute. Last I was there Rich's was still around, so I'm not sure what has happened since then.
For all intent purposes, all three are a wash. Dallas and Houston have more rich residents but Atlanta's market is far larger and over all has more wealthy people because of this.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,805,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I read somewhere (I believe the Atlanta Business Chronicle) that many of the tenants OliverMcMillan recruited to Buckhead Atlanta were initially committed to the River Oaks project in Houston. It is true that Houston's luxury market would be a better investment than Atlanta because not only is it a wealthier market, but the city also attracts a large number of wealthy Latin American merchants. Atlanta's trade market is, however, considerably larger and has been traditionally underserved. As far as their respective retail rosters, any differences between the two are pretty marginal imo (Houston for example has Miu Miu, Chanel, John Varvatos, and one of only two flagship Kate Spade stores, while Atlanta is home to a Giuseppe Zanotti, Agent Provocateur, Elie Tahari, and Bloomingdale's), and that is likely not to change anytime soon.
I think it will balance out since Atlanta receives more visitors. Our visitors should make up for not having as many rich people

Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 PM

76 posts, read 92,950 times
The discussion about the changing luxury retail market in Atlanta has drawn some very interesting responses, one of the more noteworthy being the differences, perceived and otherwise, between Atlanta's luxury retailers and other sunbelt cities' offerings. There is a marked difference between the old school icons like Chanel and Dior and the emerging brands like Steven Alan or H& M, just as there is a difference between a Nieman Marcus and a Barney's New York. Atlanta has been the first sunbelt market for retailers like Eli Tahari; Steven Alan; Jack Spade and Suit Supply. It will have the largest RH Gallery ( formerly Restoration Hardware Design Gallery) in the country and there may be more in the offing from the newly rebranded company as Restoration Hardware moves into the upscale market.
The point is that while Atlanta may not have, presently, the traditional luxury bold face names, it stands toe to toe with any city with regard to the emerging luxury brands.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ciss View Post
The discussion about the changing luxury retail market in Atlanta has drawn some very interesting responses, one of the more noteworthy being the differences, perceived and otherwise, between Atlanta's luxury retailers and other sunbelt cities' offerings. There is a marked difference between the old school icons like Chanel and Dior and the emerging brands like Steven Alan or H& M, just as there is a difference between a Nieman Marcus and a Barney's New York. Atlanta has been the first sunbelt market for retailers like Eli Tahari; Steven Alan; Jack Spade and Suit Supply. It will have the largest RH Gallery ( formerly Restoration Hardware Design Gallery) in the country and there may be more in the offing from the newly rebranded company as Restoration Hardware moves into the upscale market.
The point is that while Atlanta may not have, presently, the traditional luxury bold face names, it stands toe to toe with any city with regard to the emerging luxury brands.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think I remember Atlanta having a
Chanel store (or maybe it was Dior) in the early 90's but it was way before the market was ready to
support it.

I wish someone could confirm or deny that, but it seems to be as rememberable as Judith Leiber in Lenox. Only those with enough money to support it remember it. 20 years ago is eons in a progressive city like Atlanta.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,396,315 times
I have no memory of a Chanel or Dior store, and I have shopped in Atlanta all my life at Lenox and Phipps. I do remember Judith Leiber. A lot of stores have come and gone over the years. Remember Davidsons? The Crane stationary store? FAO Shwartz?I remember when the Saks store here had a juniors and a children's dept.
I wish I knew where to find an old directory for both Phipps & Lenox from the 1970's to now, because I wonder how much I have forgotten or remembered.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,271,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I think it will balance out since Atlanta receives more visitors. Our visitors should make up for not having as many rich people
Yep, it's no coincidence that Buckhead is known for high-end retail and high-end hotels. It has a reputation as a destination for wealthy shoppers from all over the southeastern U.S.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I have no memory of a Chanel or Dior store, and I have shopped in Atlanta all my life at Lenox and Phipps. I do remember Judith Leiber. A lot of stores have come and gone over the years. Remember Davidsons? The Crane stationary store? FAO Shwartz?I remember when the Saks store here had a juniors and a children's dept.
I wish I knew where to find an old directory for both Phipps & Lenox from the 1970's to now, because I wonder how much I have forgotten or remembered.
Thank you for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta