Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

To would-be Olympian in Boston, Atlanta is a ‘second-rate’ city

For Boston’s Summer Olympics, a look at potential sites - Business - The Boston Globe

Quote:
There are plenty of questions. It will take billions of dollars to put on the games, and we haven’t figured out how to pay for it. For those who are suspicious of Fish’s motives — the construction king stands to make money from the hosting — consider David D’Alessandro’s take.

The former chief executive of John Hancock, a company that previously sponsored the Olympics, has been skeptical of a Boston bid.

No more.

“Is it technically feasible? Of course it is,” said D’Alessandro, who has attended eight Olympics. “If Atlanta can do it, Boston can do it, please. Atlanta is a second-rate city at best. And they pulled it off in 1996.”
Shirley Franklin has a response:

Boston and Atlanta both are ranked as "Alpha-" cities and Boston has a smaller metro population and does not have close to the growth Atlanta has had. Let's see just how well Boston does if they even get selected. Atlanta came away more prosperous and with a profit after hosting the Olympics. I expect to see Boston saddled with debt, higher taxes, and unused stadiums as they try to show off and let it all go to their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Not surprised by that attitude.

Atlanta got the Games because the city felt the need to prove itself and had the business, civic, and political leaders who were energized and motivated to make it happen. Boston is a great city but it doesn't really have the same motivation to prove itself like Atlanta did, so there seems to be less af an impetus to push to get the Games.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
AJC comments are reliably funny. "atlfalconno1fan" thinks Atlanta sucks but Greenville, SC is awesome.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
To would-be Olympian in Boston, Atlanta is a ‘second-rate’ city

For Boston’s Summer Olympics, a look at potential sites - Business - The Boston Globe

Shirley Franklin has a response:

Boston and Atlanta both are ranked as "Alpha-" cities and Boston has a smaller metro population and does not have close to the growth Atlanta has had. Let's see just how well Boston does if they even get selected. Atlanta came away more prosperous and with a profit after hosting the Olympics. I expect to see Boston saddled with debt, higher taxes, and unused stadiums as they try to show off and let it all go to their head.
I read this yesterday and decided against posting on it. But since you brought it up...

boston is no London, Mexico City, or Tokyo, and Atlanta has a population larger than boston's with a GMP that's about to surpass it very soon.

If Atlanta is a second rate city at best, so is boston, mASSachusetts. We have more people and an almost equal economy. If boston is so first rate, why is Atlanta on its level economically speaking?

Like Jheri Curl Franlkin said, we wish you well on something we accomplished almost 20 "yeas" ago.

#byefelicia

Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times

Seriously, who the f**k cares what some guy in Boston thinks?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:07 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

Seriously, who the f**k cares what some guy in Boston thinks?
Chile, I want you to look him up.

If anything is second rate it's them teeth and hairline. Both of which I know he paid for.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Another tool from a northeastern city is scared of the success we've had... what else is new? Slow news day...

That aside I hope Boston gets the Olympics! It is a great way to show off early American history to world.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Boston is Boston. There is no place like it. Don't even begin to compare it to Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Boston is Boston. There is no place like it. Don't even begin to compare it to Atlanta.
I didn't find much about Boston that I liked the couple of times I visited. I much prefer Atlanta, so don't even begin to say that it's a universal truth.

Provincetown, on the other hand, was beautiful.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
AJC comments are reliably funny. "atlfalconno1fan" thinks Atlanta sucks but Greenville, SC is awesome.
The way he writes reminds me of someone on city data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta