Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times

Advertisements

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle: Emory group creates Atlanta AIDS map by zip code

A very interesting map and reminder that despite all of the advances in treatment for AIDS in the past 20 years, it's still a serious and far-reaching public health crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 11:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
1.3% of Fulton County has HIV?

That is awful. This isn't 30 years ago. What awful decisions are these people are still making?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
^^^ The highest numbers appear to be for those in the 45-59 age group. It's likely many in this group contracted it when they were young, before HIV and its transmission were widely understood and before the first test to screen blood donated to blood banks and used in hospitals.

We're also seeing a resurgence in new HIV cases due to the fact that HIV/AIDS is viewed more and more as a chronic, treatable disease and we become further removed from the plague years of 1980-1995. People forget how terrible it was then.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
1.3% of Fulton County has HIV?

That is awful. This isn't 30 years ago. What awful decisions are these people are still making?
What do you expect in a state where some people still want abstinence-only sex ed or no sex ed at all?

Also, I couldn't find a color-coded legend for this map.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:28 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
What do you expect in a state where some people still want abstinence-only sex ed or no sex ed at all?

Click the link. It is actually interesting.

What he is referring to is every county is given a rate per 100,000 people. Fulton County was 1,200-something.

But it makes sense.

The truth is new cases of HIV disproportionately is affecting two groups: gay males and African Americans. There is also a link between aids and neighborhoods with higher poverty rate.

Both of these groups are heavily settled in the city and in Fulton County.

Another part of the website looks at newly reported cases. For males over 70% of them were reportedly from male-male sexual contact. With that said... where are the gay hotspots? Fulton Co. The virus also disproportionately affects males, because of this.

My take away from this is we need better sex ed and we need to target specifics on homosexuality & sexual health, which people are too afraid to touch (but is linked to real health issues), African American neighborhoods, and low-income areas.

But Pemgin is also right... It isn't 30 years ago, but people from 30 years ago are still living with the problems of the past.... especially given new advances in learning to treat HIV.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Click the link. It is actually interesting.
I did click the link. I didn't find a legend anywhere.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
^^^ The highest numbers appear to be for those in the 45-59 age group. It's likely many in this group contracted it when they were young, before HIV and its transmission were widely understood and before the first test to screen blood donated to blood banks and used in hospitals.

We're also seeing a resurgence in new HIV cases due to the fact that HIV/AIDS is viewed more and more as a chronic, treatable disease and we become further removed from the plague years of 1980-1995. People forget how terrible it was then.
The age group actually makes sense. There was a time when casual sex wasn't associated with a death sentence. I can say I am a bit surprised that maybe the 29 and under group is not equally represented. It appears they have somewhat of a desensitized attitude towards HIV.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
I did click the link. I didn't find a legend anywhere.
click link... go to article...

click next link... go to online interactive maps (first paragraphy of article)

click Atlanta

hover over each area on the map... a pop-up box gives the data point for that area. There is a legend on the left

Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:

Maybe people who decide to become parents should parent their children.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
well, most of the time I would agree with this but;
The article indicates there is more going on that just a lack of sex ed in school.

Metro Atlanta’s map follows the national pattern, with the highest numbers situated near the city center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta