Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,471 times

Advertisements

"An Atlanta entertainment company planning a movie studio and entertainment area at Fort McPherson filed a federal lawsuit Thursday challenging Tyler Perry’s proposal for a similar project.

Lawyers for Ubiquitous Entertainment Studios LLC (UES) claim the firm wasn’t given a fair chance to redevelop the site halfway between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and downtown Atlanta..."

Full Story: Lawsuit challenges Tyler Perry's plans for Fort McPherson - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Quote:
UES, working with developer Egbert Perry, began meeting in late 2011 with representatives of the authority in charge of redeveloping the 488-acre site closed by the Pentagon as part of the last round of federal base closings.
There is virtually no substantial information I could find about UES. The developer they enlisted, however, is apparently a big player.

Egbert Perry has GM site under contract - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Weird that there is no info out there about the studio, other than a address in Cali that is a residential location. Makes me wonder if they had any sort of realistic plan for the studio.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
I was under the impression that there were no other offers for the site. If that is not true then they should have a open process and select the highest and best offer.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I was under the impression that there were no other offers for the site. If that is not true then they should have a open process and select the highest and best offer.
Me, too, and wholly agree. Tyler Perry is great for our town, but we have to do things the right way.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Who would you rather see get their hands on this, a local guy / company with a proven track record of success, or some no-name company from out of state nobody's ever heard of?

Tyler Perry all the way!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,438 times
Madea goes to court.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Who would you rather see get their hands on this, a local guy / company with a proven track record of success, or some no-name company from out of state nobody's ever heard of?

Tyler Perry all the way!
I just don't want to see friends of officials getting preference. If my CoA history serves me right, they should be extra careful to make sure that doesn't happen.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
I honestly think this was a bailout on Tyler perry's part.

Army had some weird restrictions on selling the land, MILRA has no money - and the opportunity was very quickly going to come ot a close.

I don't blame developers necessarily for not wanting to fork out 300 Mil on top of Development costs. So TP buys a bit of it for the 300M - MILRA now has money to close the deal - and Atlanta has control of the parcel (aside form TPs 100 acres).

Should it have gone to bid? I guess if an RFP for someone to purchase land for 300M is something that's SOP.

This company wanted some of it - but City of Atlanta can't sell it until the Army gives them ownership. And the Army wanted an all or nothing 300 Mil and it doesn't seem to me like that was the deal this studio could have or would have wanted to do.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Tyler Perry all the way!
Actually, Egbert Perry is a very well-known business owner and the chairman of Fannie Mae. So either way it's a local guy with a proven track record of success.

Perry v. Perry! I'm rooting for Perry!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
I'm happy for what Perry has been doing here and all... but I don't want to always root for him over an incomer. I'd rather us have a diversified film making economy that is very competitive and making all sorts of types of products.

This means we need strong entry into the market from others in the industry... not always the home town guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: