Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 12,677 times

Advertisements

The facts:
1. The company I work for is moving to the Sandy Springs area (right at the Glenridge Connector).
2. I'm interested in Atlanta neighborhoods that could be described as walkable, intellectual, progressive, artistic, sustainable, yet still down-to-earth. Ethnically diverse is a plus. You know, the kind of place with lots of young people where I could walk to the farmers' market, lecture at a university, art house theater, coffee shop, etc.
3. I won't necessarily have to go the office everyday. I should be able to work remotely around 50% of the time.

My concerns:
1. Safety. I'm a young female and look even younger than my age. Being able to walk a few miles in a park or neighborhood for exercise (or maybe a few blocks to MARTA) is important to me.
2. Affordability. The most I can afford for an apartment is $800, maybe $900. Even then, I'll be looking for a roommate. The pretentiousness and conspicuous consumption in some 'progressive' areas tend to put me off, as I am still an Aldi and thrift-store shopping, DIY kind of person.
3. Commute time. The neighborhoods often recommended to people with similar preferences (Decatur, Inman Park, Candler Park, Virginia Highland, East Atlanta) seem a bit far from work(?).

Your wisdom and advice will be invaluable and immensely appreciated!
- future Atlantan

P.S. Is there any way I could make this work without a car or, at the very least, minimize car usage? From what I've read, MARTA seems unreliable and/or dangerous, but I am open to using it.

Last edited by msmcullers; 07-19-2014 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: More specific title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Ah yes, I believe the area you seek lies at the intersection of Having Your Cake Dr. and Eating It Too Ln.

Sorry, I don't want to be a jerk about bringing your expectations down to earth, but I'm not sure that what you are looking for exists anywhere in metro Atlanta.

If it does, it is most certainly out of your budget by a long shot.

So what'll it be, will you raise your budget, or which attributes are you willing to compromise on? After you decide that, this board will be able to be much more helpful.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Honestly, I think you would do well in Midtown, Va Highland or City of Decatur. If your budget is 900 and you are ok with a roommate (meaning renting at $1600-$1800), you will be able to afford all of these locations. I would vote for Midtown, since it's the easiest commute to your job, and the more central to the things you like to do. If you if your job is MARTA accessible even better, get rid of you car. Uber, Zipcar, Taxi, MARTA would give your more freedom in your budget.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Yeah, do a roommate and you can afford midtown. Take MARTA up and your life will be easier.

You also can walk to MARTA from many east side neighborhoods.

Perimeter is just not an easy place to commute to without MARTA IMO.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:04 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcullers View Post
The facts:
1. The company I work for is moving to the Sandy Springs area (right at the Glenridge Connector).
2. I'm interested in Atlanta neighborhoods that could be described as walkable, intellectual, progressive, artistic, sustainable, yet still down-to-earth. Ethnically diverse is a plus. You know, the kind of place with lots of young people where I could walk to the farmers' market, lecture at a university, art house theater, coffee shop, etc.
3. I won't necessarily have to go the office everyday. I should be able to work remotely around 50% of the time.

My concerns:
1. Safety. I'm a young female and look even younger than my age. Being able to walk a few miles in a park or neighborhood for exercise (or maybe a few blocks to MARTA) is important to me.
2. Affordability. The most I can afford for an apartment is $800, maybe $900. Even then, I'll be looking for a roommate. The pretentiousness and conspicuous consumption in some 'progressive' areas tend to put me off, as I am still an Aldi and thrift-store shopping, DIY kind of person.
3. Commute time. The neighborhoods often recommended to people with similar preferences (Decatur, Inman Park, Candler Park, Virginia Highland, East Atlanta) seem a bit far from work(?).

- future Atlantan

P.S. Is there any way I could make this work without a car or, at the very least, minimize car usage? From what I've read, MARTA seems unreliable and/or dangerous, but I am open to using it.
If you're working at the Medical Center station end of the Glenridge Connector taking MARTA would be a snap. The trains are very safe and reliable.

However, the other items on your list might be a tall order.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
So do you mean you have $900 for an apartment and will be seeking a roommate that can pay the same, or you can afford $450 and need a roommate to bring you up to $900?

Because obviously, that makes a huge difference.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
You may find someone at GSU who needs a roommate, but move quickly, the semester starts soon

Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcullers View Post
The facts:

My concerns:

- future Atlantan

Your #2 under "the facts" does not exist in Atlanta in any location at any price point. Atlanta just isn't that kind of place. Particularly with the "still down to earth" factor.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM

ATLTJL (and 10 feet tall): No worries. I grew up in southeast metro Atlanta and figured if such a place existed I probably would have heard of it by now, but it never hurts to ask. Cost is non-negotiable at $800-900 max for me. The roommate part would be to cut rent down even more, maybe to $500-700 if that's possible.

As far as lower expectations go: how about a walkable neighborhood with fairly intellectual, friendly residents
and access to green space? A nearby farmers' market would be a huge plus. I'm definitely willing to have a car, but it seems like MARTA might be more efficient when it comes to commuting all the way to the Perimeter.

The High Museum and Piedmont Park are major pluses as far as Midtown goes. Dunno about safety though. Thank you everyone for the advice thus far!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Decatur also gets points for walkability and access to Emory. Taking MARTA would require a lengthy commute (about an hour) but it seems fairly simple (taking the blue line, then the red line).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta