Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 37,843 times

Advertisements

I have been studying the economy of Atlanta, as many of you know from my frequent posts, and I have been very satisfied and happy that you guys have helped me so much. The Atlanta community has been very nice in answering my questions, unlike many other cities I have studied.

Ok, well basically the question here is,

Atlanta is so dependent on outside investment. I have seen a lot of projects and growth in Atlanta and while providing the people, land and even the entrepreneurs, Atlanta can not provide the capital needed for residential developments or business loans.

This makes me question the saving habits and styles of many in the city. I think that Atlanta has very little savings, as a metro, for projects in its own back yard.

There does not seem to be the deep pockets of established banks, nor a private equity environment. Atlantans companies are greatly ran off of organic growth and have a line of credit, but not usually large and many times cannot get loans, despite being profitable and having collateral.

Outside metros continue to dominate the investment in Atlanta. Texas, an export rich state, has many cities that pile money into the ATL region for an exposure to the SouthEast, to diversify their holdings and provide high interest loan situations. New York invests in Atlanta through financial services firms in Atlanta also.

Is there any anecdotal experiences of info that is relevant to this. Is there any banker in Atl who can speak upon this?

Thanks as always, you guys are awesome. Go Falcons, Braves and Georgia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post
I have been studying the economy of Atlanta, as many of you know from my frequent posts, and I have been very satisfied and happy that you guys have helped me so much. The Atlanta community has been very nice in answering my questions, unlike many other cities I have studied.

Atlanta is so dependent on outside investment. I have seen a lot of projects and growth in Atlanta and while providing the people, land and even the entrepreneurs, Atlanta can not provide the capital needed for residential developments or business loans.

This makes me question the saving habits and styles of many in the city. I think that Atlanta has very little savings, as a metro, for projects in its own back yard.

There does not seem to be the deep pockets of established banks, nor a private equity environment. Atlantans companies are greatly ran off of organic growth and have a line of credit, but not usually large and many times cannot get loans, despite being profitable and having collateral.

Outside metros continue to dominate the investment in Atlanta. Texas, an export rich state, has many cities that pile money into the ATL region for an exposure to the SouthEast, to diversify their holdings and provide high interest loan situations. New York invests in Atlanta through financial services firms in Atlanta also.

Is there any anecdotal experiences of info that is relevant to this. Is there any banker in Atl who can speak upon this?

How do you figure Atlanta is any more dependent on outside investment than any other city?
Sorry but Im not sure if you are aware of the depth?

Especially with al the home grown companies headquartered in Atlanta.

Coca-Cola,Delta,Home Depot,TBS,etc...all are companies that have invested HEAVILY in Atlanta.
Even Intercontinental Exchange based in Atlanta organized the acquisition of NYSEEuronext.

Georgia Tech is also part of the development of Atlanta which has spawned off many companies

Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Well I'm curious what data you're looking at.

I fear you might be clouding some things up. The real issue is banks in this country are rapidly become nationwide, as opposed to local. Its not that people here aren't saving, its that the lending institutions are more country-wide.... and spread their risks more across wide geographic areas.

To further complicate this.. States like Georgia, Nevada, and Florida (amongst others) got hit harder in the recession housing bubble... This hurt the weaker local banks and cause more people to use the convenient national and regional banks.

It is worth noting however that a South Atlantic regional bank, SunTrust, is headquartered here and is the 13th largest bank in the country.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Even Intercontinental Exchange based in Atlanta organized the acquisition of NYSEEuronext.
Its just the NYSE; ICE recently unloaded Euronext through an IPO.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Its just the NYSE; ICE recently unloaded Euronext through an IPO.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post

What data do you have? Are you trying to tell me Home Depot and Coca Cola can't get a loan?

What cities would "pile money into the ATL region for an exposure to the Southeast?" Are you trying to say companies from other cities have satellite offices here? Then yes, Atlanta has many companies with offices here. This is a global economy...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
What data do you have? Are you trying to tell me Home Depot and Coca Cola can't get a loan?

What cities would "pile money into the ATL region for an exposure to the Southeast?" Are you trying to say companies from other cities have satellite offices here? Then yes, Atlanta has many companies with offices here. This is a global economy...
Yeh its so puzzling how he came to this conclusion.

I mean Coke and the Wooduff Family alone built a lot of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta