Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times

Advertisements

Georgiasown.org Georgias Own CU

I've been happy with them. I have been with them for around 8 years now. Free online bill pay, low rates for auto loans, free "carfinder service" which I'm using now (free if financing with the CU) since its time to upgrade the car. Though I don't know off they offer insurance. I even rolled my 401k into an IRA for awhile when I switched jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:51 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
ElleKaye - interesting. I've had many stories like yours with other banks too. Good it worked for you. Everyone has that concern i I suppose -safety of your money and that brings me to my other point whether Credit Unions or banks like Ally are any safer. I've never banked with a credit union and after seeing any 'shops' shut down during the GFC era - It is a little tough to mark out how safe your monies are with a financial institution and with national banks there is this inherent trust due to their sheer size etc.

That penfed credit union seems good wit its interest rates - are they reliable/safe ? does anyone know if they offer early payment with no penalty ?
As far as credi unions go, I've only banked with IBM Credit Union. The fees were definitely lower than banks at one point, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I think when it comes to financing something like buying a car, the rates are still lower.

I have a friend who teaches in Marietta City Schools who has been with the same credit union for a decade and swears by them. I don't recall all or even any of his points about why a credit union was a better idea than a bank, but I recall some of them making some sense.

Having relationships with both and liking some better than others, my only real problem was with Wachovia. I seriously had to consider whether I was going to hire a lawyer to help them sort it out. I really haven't heard anyone complain about any credit unions though.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM

403 posts, read 619,930 times
Pretty good experience with SunTrust. I also use BofA due to linkage with my investment accounts.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM

296 posts, read 439,371 times
So I looked further into penfed and it looks like you've got to be associted with the Fed Govt or its related entities to be a member. So that would throw me out of the eligibility pool. Looked at another credit union - Delta Community Credit Union -seems to have good reviews and no early repayment penalty either.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
You might like to read this:

The Best Banks Are Not Banks At All... | www.clarkhoward.com

Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 AM

32 posts, read 31,450 times
Charles Schwab.

I did some research this past year and settled on them because of

A great online presence (including easy-to-use apps)
Great connection to their brokerage services and cheap stock trading
They refund all ATM fees so you can use any ATM you find
Easy to set up (no minimum deposit, after putting any $ in they send you a bank card and checks)

I haven't explored the possibility of auto/other loans via Schwab...

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 AM

Thanks - Charles Schwab's offering looks decent - no monthly fee & free withdrawls at all ATMs that accept visa debit which I believe these days most ATMs do. I don't think they offer motor loans -only mortgages.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
We are members of the LGE Credit Union and have really liked it so far over the last couple years. We also considered Georgia's Own and the Delta one but liked some things LGE had a bit more. All of them are members of credit union networks for free ATM usage and being able to use each other's branches for things like check deposits. No national bank has the reach of the network LGE is with. I had ATM options all over the Bay Area when I was out there last week and have never not had a decent option anywhere I have been in the US.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Thank you - i'll look into that one too !!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
All banks are rip offs, go with a credit union. But I don't know of any in Atlanta area. Im still with Wright Patt CU in SW Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: