Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times

Advertisements

I'll be dead and in the ground. Who cares?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 PM

FYI ... look at Macon-Warner Robins. Easily the second-largest urban area in the state by 2060, per the maps. I actually think that's a real possibility.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 AM

32 posts, read 31,432 times
Cool study, but it's based on the development patterns of the last 50 years and ignores plenty of potential influences on future development such as...

Trend back towards higher-density communities
Electric/self-driving cars
Increasing costs of aging infrastructure in sub/ex-urban environments
Ability of more individuals to telecommute/work from home
Continued decrease in crime nationwide

This isn't to say that I could put forward a more legitimate scenario, but if planners of the 1950s had projected what development would occur in the 2nd half of the century based on the 1st half I think they would have missed the mark substantially. Same with this study.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRosewater View Post
Cool study, but it's based on the development patterns of the last 50 years and ignores plenty of potential influences on future development such as...

Trend back towards higher-density communities
Electric/self-driving cars
Increasing costs of aging infrastructure in sub/ex-urban environments
Ability of more individuals to telecommute/work from home
Continued decrease in crime nationwide

This isn't to say that I could put forward a more legitimate scenario, but if planners of the 1950s had projected what development would occur in the 2nd half of the century based on the 1st half I think they would have missed the mark substantially. Same with this study.
Those same trends are pushing manufacturing into rural areas along freeway corridors. The Southeast is also anticipated to see great deal of growth in manufacturing moving forward. Much of this takes up a great deal of land and workers will live nearby, so much of this is not as far fetched as you might think.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
I'll be dead....

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'll be dead and in the ground. Who cares?!
Our kids and grandkids will still be around.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Our kids and grandkids will still be around.
God bless them. They'll adapt and survive. We did.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Those same trends are pushing manufacturing into rural areas along freeway corridors. The Southeast is also anticipated to see great deal of growth in manufacturing moving forward. Much of this takes up a great deal of land and workers will live nearby, so much of this is not as far fetched as you might think.
We have a place on Lake Hartwell and you can see that development up and down 85. Right near the border in Lavonia there are several warehouses. Land is cheap and they're right off the interstate. Close to Atlanta and its airport and close to Greenville, Charlotte, Raleigh etc. It's already a major economic corridor.

I'll be 68. I'm not sure that the projection is that accurate. Just look at technology changes in the past 20 years. I have no idea what it'll be like almost 50 years from now. Self driving cars maybe? Who knows but I doubt it'll be exactly like cars today. But it will be interesting to see what the population will be and how it's handled. There's no sign of things slowing down for Atlanta.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,264 times

Marta ?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
I can't take their projections seriously when they don't have Birmingham, Macon, and Chattanooga connected to Atlanta by anything more substantial. As if Greenville and Spartanburg are going to evolve into some urban mecca or something, maybe somewhere near the tiny little city of Cowpens or something. What a name.

Furthermore, re-urbanization is going to kill all of this. People will be concentrating into black holes like Atlanta and Charlotte, just like NYC is a black hole. They aren't going to be filling up the vast expanses in-between, especially with plenty of blighted land to redevelop closer to the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta