Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times

Advertisements

In case anyone gets their hopes up that Park Vinings is currently under construction: I was heading through Cumberland Blvd near Cobb Pkwy close to the river over the weekend and noticed construction somewhere around where I knew Park Vinings was going to be constructed. So I got excited and called Park Signature Properties and found out it wasn't Park Vinings but instead the land next to where the 33-story Park Vinings is planned (now a retirement community).

The good news is that what is being currently developed is multi-family property, so probably condos or apartments. It is being constructed by Maple Multi family SE Contractor LLC. I'll see if I can figure out more about what's being constructed there. Does anyone know anything?

This is NOT what is being constructed :-( Hopefully Park Vinings comes soon:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Alright, what I found out after calling the Park Signature Properties people again was that Park Vinings sold that land, and the Park Vinings people said apartments of some sort are definately being built, just not Park Vinings. It's still zoned for 33 story mixed-use as far as I can tell (I'll check to see if I missed any re-zonings). I haven't seen any rezoning in the meantime so that may be good news. I guess there's more research to be done on who it was sold to and what they are planning to build. Things like the sale records and whether there were any new rezonings or whether they are going off the existing zoning should give us some clues. Hopefully it's still 33 stories, since that would make it the tallest building in Cumberland, and for apartments/condos it'd be about 15 stories taller than Horizon at Wildwood, the next tallest at 17 stories. :-) Though, for its height, it'd only have about 254 retirement community units (54 being assisted care), which is actually less than most of the new condo/apartment developments in Cumberland.

Here was the rezoning from 2009: http://zoning.comdev.cobbcountyga.go...Z-006-2009.pdf

Here's the rezoning meetings minutes. I'm not exactly sure what this means. Does it mean it was adopted with the condition that it was changed to RSL (residential senior living), but that it's still 33 stories? I'm not exactly sure what "delete rezoning" means.
Quote:
MINUTES OF ZONING HEARING
COBB COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
FEBRUARY 17, 2009

Z-6 CITY VIEW HOLDINGS, L.P. (owner) requesting Rezoning from UC to
UC With Stipulations for the purpose of a Senior Living Facility in Land
Lots 977 and 1016 of the 17th District. Located on the south side of
Cumberland Boulevard, west of D.S. Highway 41.

The public hearing was opened and Mr. Bob Tritt and Mr. Ron Sifen
addressed the Board. Following presentation and discussion, the following
motion was made:

MOTION: Motion by Ott, second by Olens, to delete Rezoning to the
RSL (supportive) zoning district subject to:
Z-6 CITY VIEW HOLDINGS, L.P. (Continued)

· site plan received by the Zoning Division December 5, 2008, as
needed, including waivers allowing 33 stories above grade, FAR,
setbacks, buffers, etc., with the District Commissioner approving
minor modifications (attached and made a part of these minutes)
· letter of agreeable conditions from Mr. Larry Kelly dated February
2, 2009 with the following changes (attached and made a part of
these minutes):
)> Each reference in letter of agreeable conditions to 01 "Office
Institutional" is changed to RSL- supportive
)> Item No. 6 - Replace paragraph with: "An administrative
reversion to the exact zoning that existed before this rezoning case
will be available to the property owner for five (5) years from the
date of the adoption of the February 17, 2009 zoning minutes. An
application to request the reversion by Board of Commissioners is
required by the property owner after expiration of the five (5) year
limit. "
· Fire Department comments and recommendations, with the Fire
Marshall and the developer's representatives to begin discussions now
regarding fire protection of the proposed 33 story structure
· Water and Sewer Division comments and recommendations
· Stormwater Management Division comments and recommendations
· Cobb DOT comments and recommendations

VOTE:

ADOPTED unanimously

Last edited by netdragon; 08-04-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

559 posts, read 832,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
In case anyone gets their hopes up that Park Vinings is currently under construction: I was heading through Cumberland Blvd near Cobb Pkwy close to the river over the weekend and noticed construction somewhere around where I knew Park Vinings was going to be constructed. So I got excited and called Park Signature Properties and found out it wasn't Park Vinings but instead the land next to where the 33-story Park Vinings is planned (now a retirement community).

The good news is that what is being currently developed is multi-family property, so probably condos or apartments. It is being constructed by Maple Multi family SE Contractor LLC. I'll see if I can figure out more about what's being constructed there. Does anyone know anything?

This is NOT what is being constructed :-( Hopefully Park Vinings comes soon:

Thanks for doing all that legwork, Net. Was wondering about that myself after driving by on the way to church yesterday. I gave up on the Park Vinings dream years ago, but hoped something would go in there that would bring an energy to that corner.

Kind of a busy intersection/area for a retirement community, but what do I know?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post

Kind of a busy intersection/area for a retirement community, but what do I know?
I thought about this, and realized it would probably be a good place for older people looking to cash out on a Manhatten property in places like the upper East Side (or to rent it out) and move somewhere a little "quieter". The view would also be second to none and the river is very close by.

There's going to be mixed-use across the street when they finish Riverview 200, so I think it'll be convenient for them to walk across the street to do things. There's also the AMC theater and a few restaurants and other shops in walking distance across Cobb Pkwy that they can do a short drive to. I doubt they'd be going to the coming Main Event though :-)

Though I imagine they would spend most of their time either at the river or just staying in the building visiting each other. There's also going to be a few floors of amenities, and typically retirement communities have a lot of businesses in the building, like overpriced grocery stores and banks that want to prey on them to open trusts with them for their grandkids.

What'd be really cool is if it had a gated entrance to Stillhouse Rd in Vinings (not the Cumberland Stillhouse Rd) so that residents there could go out either way when they have a car. Or possibly even walk down Stillhouse Rd to Vinings Village for the ones in the best shape.

Stillhouse Rd was obviously cut in half by those people who own mansions on it on the Vinings side, however it looks like this property backs right up to it (probably with a steep hill that something would have to be done about)

Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,610 times
^Could you provide an actual reference to demand of people moving from Manhattan to a retirement tower at Cumberland mall? If I had Upper East Side money, a busy intersection in Cumberland CID near office towers would be a few pages down on my list of retirement locales. More likely a beach somewhere or at least somewhere close to family. Much more likely the blue hairs are coming from outer Cobb County to stay close to their families.

Retirement towers are rarely economic hubs. Retirees that have moved into homes aren't known for spending big bucks regularly so developers usually aren't lining up to put up big retail around them.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Mishap, since there's no high-rise luxury retirement communities in the Cumberland area, obviously this is speculation and furthermore I doubt there is anything useful in terms of statistics. Part of the speculation is based on the fact it's high-rise, and that's going to appeal to a certain type of buyer and there are limited options. You do bring up a good point that the beach has plenty of options of highrise retirement communities, but then what about your point about being close to family? E.g. what if a NYC dweller wants to be close to their family that just moved down to metro Atlanta.

The only statistics I have ever seen in the past (and I'm not searching for them) are NY -> Cobb for anyone and NE -> GA for retirees and both are significant. Statistics for the former match what I see on the ground, since there's NY plates everywhere in Cobb (Virginia is the other one I see a lot of lately). However, that doesn't tell us anything about retirees. Any existing places in Cobb, like the ones in Smyrna on S. Cobb Dr, are small-time retirement communities and wouldn't get the kind of attention a high-rise would get.

There's already mixed-use going up around there for all the new apartments and condos, so what's probably more important is how useful it is for the retirees versus what the retirees will be doing for the mixed-use.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
^Could you provide an actual reference to demand of people moving from Manhattan to a retirement tower at Cumberland mall? If I had Upper East Side money, a busy intersection in Cumberland CID near office towers would be a few pages down on my list of retirement locales. More likely a beach somewhere or at least somewhere close to family. Much more likely the blue hairs are coming from outer Cobb County to stay close to their families.

Retirement towers are rarely economic hubs. Retirees that have moved into homes aren't known for spending big bucks regularly so developers usually aren't lining up to put up big retail around them.

Maybe not NYC, but the list of retirees leaving the northeast to retire in the South is looooooong. And they're not all at the beach either.

My mom is building right now in a Del Webb, Pulte's 55+ developments. Neighbor's parents lived in The Villages in FL, the grandaddy of all retirement developments. It's amazing what these places offer seniors in terms of social, learning opps, exercise, fun, etc.

Even through the great recession, retirement homes/communities were still building and seem to be on fire. Vinings area only has One Vinings Mountain and The Aberdeen that are mid-rise and predominantly older folks, but those places aren't truly "retirement" in their amenities.

I think the bigger picture is that the older boomers want their youth-free living, and they want it w/ full amenities . . . and they're willing to pay for it. Very interesting trend to watch.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Y'all clearly don't have relatives living in a retirement community! A senior independent living community does not have all the business in the building! You should think about it as expensive apartment living with some additional services.

Most seniors select the community because it is either close to their home or close to their children. My mom moved from an active retirement community in Florida to a Senior Living community when she quit driving and the location was based on proximity to her children.

The average age I believe is late 70's or early 80's and less than 1/4 of those residents keep their cars and continue to drive.

The typical community has:

Physical Therapy and Doctors/Nurse examination room - where certain health care professionals provide on-site services a few days a week but they do not have their own retail space.

Swim and exercise facilities - similar to an apartment but they would have group classes taught on site

The facility offers a bus service to local malls, grocery stores and doctor's offices. Cumberland area is good for all of those with the doctor's offices being a bit further.

The facility has lots of planned outings throughout Atlanta - again, Cumberland is an excellent location

The facility will offer religious services and entertainment on-site but nothing more elaborate than a nice community room.

There will of course be on-site dining room (1 or more meals are served per day), library, card room etc.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Y'all clearly don't have relatives living in a retirement community! A senior independent living community does not have all the business in the building! You should think about it as expensive apartment living with some additional services.
Well, this is different: Movie theater, beauty salon, pub, performing arts center, non-denominational worship center, a health clinic offering doctor and dental care, and a convenience grocery store, etc...

Let's be blunt. This isn't your typical assisted living community. This is something for millionaires, like the one our relatives were at (on O.H.'s side) in Bloomfield, MI.

Quote:
The applicant is requesting the UC zoning district to develop a senior living facility. The building would be
33-stories in height, with units ranging in size from 942 square-feet to 1,276 square-feet. There would be
200-units of independent living which would occupy twenty-five floors of the building. There would be 54
units of assisted living and/or memory care which would occupy four floors of the building. Then there
would be four floors of ancillary support services which would include dining facilities, a piano bar/pub, a
fitness and pool area, beauty salon, movie theater, performing arts center, non-denominational worship area,
a health clinic offering doctor and dental care, and a convenience grocery store. All the ancillary uses would
be for the residents only. People living in the facility execute a service agreement in which much of the cost
is paid upon entry into the facility, with monthly assessments following.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-04-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

Beg to differ on that. Granddad lived in retirement community in Atlantic Beach, FL for years that we visited often. Ice sculptures at every dinner, collared shirts dress code, full campus of amenities . . . place was like Club Med for old folks.

Mom's retirement community now is 10x nicer and more plush than my neighborhood. Country club level clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, full landscaping, fitness center, cooking classes, full bridge/poker room w/ bar, etc.

And don't even get started on The Villages. It's an entire city of spending and partying seniors . . . like a modern day Babylon for 55+.

Now granted, this Cumberland development won't have all of that because of lack of space. There's just nowhere to go but up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta