Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Whiter sand, less jellyfish, surf is not as rough. The drive is a little longer to the Atlantic (if you know the back roads to Destin/Ft. Walton). The "Red Tide" comes in periodically on the Gulf Beaches, but the beach itself is just more appealing looking. Having said that, I also love Isle of Palms, SC.
It is still rather new to me, as I've never been to Florida. I never knew there were fewer jellyfish along the Gulf. I always believed they liked warmer waters.

I'm wondering the cultural attachment to the Panhandle. For you it might be about the physical aspects of the beaches. From people I've been around, there seems to be a cultural popularity with PCB or Destin/Ft. Walton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
It's quite simple. The Gulf Coast is an easy drive, so we all know about it. Other parts of Florida have large airports and are more longer histories of development, so they are more nationally known. Not many people fly to the panhandle of Florida.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Yep, it's very simple: Easy drive, beautiful beaches. End thread.

No disrespect to the OP, but if you've never been to Florida then you can't possibly understand how vastly different the coastlines of the state are. If you had been to Daytona Beach, and then Destin, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

No disrespect to the OP, but if you've never been to Florida then you can't possibly understand how vastly different the coastlines of the state are. If you had been to Daytona Beach, and then Destin, you wouldn't be asking this question.
I'm just asking. I'm not exactly in the know about this stuff.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm just asking. I'm not exactly in the know about this stuff.
Well, now you are!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's quite simple. The Gulf Coast is an easy drive, so we all know about it. Other parts of Florida have large airports and are more longer histories of development, so they are more nationally known. Not many people fly to the panhandle of Florida.
I'm guessing this is more about what the locals know about vs what transplants know about.

I have been in the metro area since 1996, so I've been exposed to some things over time. At the same time, I've been socialized differently. I never had curiosity about this subject until now. Never thought about it until now.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well, now you are!
And I'll have to speak to some more people about this tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Whiter sand, less jellyfish, surf is not as rough. The drive is a little longer to the Atlantic (if you know the back roads to Destin/Ft. Walton). The "Red Tide" comes in periodically on the Gulf Beaches, but the beach itself is just more appealing looking. Having said that, I also love Isle of Palms, SC.
That's the downside for me. I like big waves so I prefer the ocean. But for people that want calmer water the gulf is definitely better for that.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:48 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,840 times
Quote:

My answer as well. It's very hard to beat the panhandle beaches for beauty. Clear water and pretty white sand. There is a touch of redneck, sure, but on the beach it's not as easy to notice. Highway 30-A between Destin and Panama City is very hard to beat. We got to Hilton Head sometimes and I love that area off the beach, but for being near the water we'll always head to the panhandle (I did not grow up in Atlanta BTW). The drive isn't so bad either.

And there is this:

And this:

Upscale Alys Beach on first pic and Rosemary Beach on second. These are very close to Panama City, but feel like another world.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
1. Accessibility.
2. Beauty of the beaches.
3. Plenty of entertainment, particularly for kids.

Drive along SR 30A sometime and I think you'll get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta