Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:09 PM

296 posts, read 440,646 times

Advertisements

thanks guys.

I heard back from one of the apartments i made an application with and the property manager called me today to say that they would like me to furnish my SSN card (I already put the number on the application).

While I wasn't sure as to whether this is normal or not - I told them I'd bring it over to show it to them nonetheless, but now thinking about it I wanted to get some perspective on this from others.

I've already paid about $200 for application/admin fee for the apartment so If i were to back out -it likely won't get refunded.

What would you suggest I do in this instance - I'm happy for them to see/keep a copy of my license, but my SSN -i'm not too sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,899,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
thanks guys.

I heard back from one of the apartments i made an application with and the property manager called me today to say that they would like me to furnish my SSN card (I already put the number on the application).

While I wasn't sure as to whether this is normal or not - I told them I'd bring it over to show it to them nonetheless, but now thinking about it I wanted to get some perspective on this from others.

I've already paid about $200 for application/admin fee for the apartment so If i were to back out -it likely won't get refunded.

What would you suggest I do in this instance - I'm happy for them to see/keep a copy of my license, but my SSN -i'm not too sure.
its for a background / credit check. fairly common. You can ask if there is a way for you to send it directly to the credit check agency.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

jsvh, thanks - asking for the copy of the physical card is OK ? the number itself I understand, but I've never heard of actual card being asked for?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,830,666 times
I like Vinings, but I prefer Midtown. Midtown is more walkable so you'll have to drive less. Vinings is pretty hilly and overall there are not many day-to-day places for errands. Midtown is also closer to downtown and the traffic going into town from Vinings can be a beast during the rush hours.

I don't think the mileage on vehicles is so much the problem for many as the length of time spent sitting in traffic. A commute from Kennesaw to Sandy Springs which would take around 20 minutes with no traffic took me around 2 hours during the rush hours. It was unbearable.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM

ElleKaye, thanks. Yes, Midtown seems cool with the walking distance etc, but I hear stories about break-ins etc. which is something I don't want to have to deal with and the square footage I'm getting for the price I'm paying is somewhat of a challenge (770 sqft vs 900 for the same price). Vinings has a more quieter environment which I think I prefer (atleast for now I guess). I've moved from Boston where everything was right outside my window and I just got too sick of all the 24/7 'hoo-ha'. There is plenty of development happening both in Vinings and Midtown -commercial and residential and it would be interesting to see if that eases the rental situation somewhat in Midtown. Vinings is priced just about the same for some of the newer properties out there. I think Midtown is still 15-20 driving distance from Vinings if you are to go out etc. so I'm heavily leaning towards the area right now. I suppose that may change after I have experienced the so-called traffic that gets mentioned very often in these conversations. For errands, I noticed there were banks, eating joints -subway, starbcks and post office and a costco and other supermarkets all within a mile of each other. So I feel good about that. For the last 5 days in a row, I've virtually monitored rush hour traffic going into the town from 7 to 8 am and I feel around 7:45 am is when there are some congestion issues. Prior to that it seems like a smooth 20 minute ride into the town.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,899,862 times
Asking for the card is less common. I would make sure this is a decent company.

And as long as you are renting, I think you will be fine with Vinings. It is good to try out suburban lifestyle if you have not before. But you may find that just being able to walk around the area you live and have an extra 30 mins or hour in your day to spend with friends, family, or on whatever you want is well worth it.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,794,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
ElleKaye, thanks. Yes, Midtown seems cool with the walking distance etc, but I hear stories about break-ins etc. which is something I don't want to have to deal with and the square footage I'm getting for the price I'm paying is somewhat of a challenge (770 sqft vs 900 for the same price). Vinings has a more quieter environment which I think I prefer (atleast for now I guess). I've moved from Boston where everything was right outside my window and I just got too sick of all the 24/7 'hoo-ha'. There is plenty of development happening both in Vinings and Midtown -commercial and residential and it would be interesting to see if that eases the rental situation somewhat in Midtown. Vinings is priced just about the same for some of the newer properties out there. I think Midtown is still 15-20 driving distance from Vinings if you are to go out etc. so I'm heavily leaning towards the area right now. I suppose that may change after I have experienced the so-called traffic that gets mentioned very often in these conversations. For errands, I noticed there were banks, eating joints -subway, starbcks and post office and a costco and other supermarkets all within a mile of each other. So I feel good about that. For the last 5 days in a row, I've virtually monitored rush hour traffic going into the town from 7 to 8 am and I feel around 7:45 am is when there are some congestion issues. Prior to that it seems like a smooth 20 minute ride into the town.
Use your traffic app to monitor traffic

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,789,298 times
A lot of assumptions here:
1. People from Vinings/Smyrna are commuting to midtown/downtown. It could be Cumberland, Vinings, Perimeter Center, Town Center, Marietta, airport. For all of those but airport, you'd have a longer commute from midtown. For airport, it'd be about the same. Lots of tech jobs in the NW metro and along 400 OTP that are more convenient for us.
- Or you could be like me and be working from home. I commuted to downtown for years at my previous startup turned midsize company, but now I am an exec at a new startup from San Fran and I'm working out of home until I hire engineers later this year. We'll be in Cumberland at that point which is a 3mi commute for me, and an 8mi commute from midtown. So for these upcoming open jobs, you'd be better off in Vinings than midtown.
2. Your miles are wrong for the central part of midtown, where most of the highrise office is. I'll get to that later.
3. You put more wear and tear on your car from stop-and-go. The bulk of the traffic is intown. The trip from Vinings and Smyrna down Marietta Blvd (if you choose to go the fastest way) is really a breeze. You're in midtown before it backs up.

Miles:
* Vinings to Arts Center Station via I-75 or surface roads is 9.1
* Smyrna along E/W Connector to Arts Center via Marietta Blvd is 9.9 miles

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,789,298 times
Midtown is a fine place to start to get the lay of the land. If you're looking to eventually buy as an investment, then the hottest part of Atlanta right now is NW Atlanta like Carrol Dr, or Underwood Hills. NW is the part of Atlanta most quickly appreciating in the entire metro. Areas around downtown inside the Belt Line like O4W are doing welll too. If you're looking to rent for a long time, then you're probably best off going wherever your job is at the time.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:08 PM

thanks guys - i'm in consulting and will be working downtown. so traveling to the town would be 5 days a week and perhaps to the airport once or twice a month (maybe more) as well. I would have relatively (or so it seems to me) easy access to i-75 in Vinings so essentially a 7 am departure should get me to the town around 7:30 max - that isn't bad at all in my eyes. Going back I suppose may be challenging but only if its around 3 -5:30ish from what i've observed so far. Given the type of job, I may be sticking back until a little later say 6ish so should be good on the way back too ! I'm hoping to give this suburban living a try as I've longed for it for too long. While Vinings isn't the bustling hotspot by any means, i think it carries (and has prospects) some appeal. I dont know how long the job will keep me in Atlanta, beyond atleast one year but I'd love to stick around and grow with this city. Although somewhere inside of me I have this fear of being proven wrong given that everyone seems to be alluding to midtown over vinings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta