Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 19,605 times

Advertisements

An officer stopped my son for not putting both of his feet on the ground when he stopped at a stop sign on his 50cc scooter. Does anyone know where I can get information on the rules for stopping at a stop sign on a scooter? Have not been able to find any information on it at the Georgia DMV site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,595 times
if you are on a BIKE or a scooter, you MUST also stop at stop signs and obey every law a car must . (and do the same 1 - 2 -3 thing). including using turn signals, brake signals, and speed limits.

the fines are the same..

yes even on a bike.

and bikes cannot ride on sidewalks in ga .
bikes are now considered vehicles.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 PM

161 posts, read 219,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
and bikes cannot ride on sidewalks in ga .
bikes are now considered vehicles.
I have a question about this: does this law apply to children riding bikes, too? And bikes carrying children?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:36 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
I have a question about this: does this law apply to children riding bikes, too? And bikes carrying children?
yes it does apply, but its usually not enforced on kids.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 AM

161 posts, read 219,270 times
Thanks!

So, in your cyclists' opinion/experience, when I ride with my kids, would the best scenario for their safety and me avoiding a ticket be for them to ride on the sidewalk and me to ride on the street next to them?

We love casual bike riding, and have some good neighborhood streets near us, but to get to them we need to ride .5-1mi on some fairly busy roads.

More to the original topic, we also have a great little scooter that my husband used to use as his main vehicle. He refuses to sell it, but I don't feel comfortable with him riding it on busy roads--we live in East Cobb, he works near Interstate North Pkwy (I-285) It's a great commute by car. How would y'all feel about that commute on a scooter?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:57 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Thanks!

So, in your cyclists' opinion/experience, when I ride with my kids, would the best scenario for their safety and me avoiding a ticket be for them to ride on the sidewalk and me to ride on the street next to them?

We love casual bike riding, and have some good neighborhood streets near us, but to get to them we need to ride .5-1mi on some fairly busy roads.

More to the original topic, we also have a great little scooter that my husband used to use as his main vehicle. He refuses to sell it, but I don't feel comfortable with him riding it on busy roads--we live in East Cobb, he works near Interstate North Pkwy (I-285) It's a great commute by car. How would y'all feel about that commute on a scooter?
Frankly, I wish we were much more moped friendly in the US. Cheap transportation. Doesn't get better than this. They are fun, easy to ride, uber dependable, and get upwards of 125mpg all the while we struggle to get a car to do the same. They are already "there".

Weather is an issue but, we get enough sunny days here to make them viable in and around town. You would probably have to widen shoulders but, it could be done. If we did, I'd show you a moped boom like no other. It may, or may not, be the primary means of transportation but, for running errands, going to the closest store, etc, they could be equipped to deal with quite a bit of it. I have a motorcycle that I enjoy quite a bit and use it for some of the same reasons.

They are fun, get good gas mileage and can handle more tasks on good weather days. We just aren't that way.....yet.......let gas hit $5-$6 per gallon and I'll show you some interest. Quite a few intown people ride them and it seems to be growing. They can ride them in the streets but, due to their motor limitations, can't keep up with traffic. Seems we could/should at least lift that power requirement. They have more powerful mopeds that will run upwards of 50-60mph but, are treated like motorcycles. Seems we could find a middle ground.

Once you ride one you see the benefits. It's just transportation. We treat our vehicles like a luxury bauble best suited to a high-tech office or casual den. Seems we should really look at basic modes of transportation like this. They use them in Europe extensively with great success. Works for them. It could work for us.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 19,605 times
I understand that if you are on a BIKE or a scooter, you MUST also stop at stop signs and obey every law a car must including using turn signals, brake signals, and speed limits. But is there a law that says when you stop at a stop sign on a moped that you must place both feet on the ground and not just one foot.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,604 times
Default moped laws in georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by llg871 View Post
I understand that if you are on a BIKE or a scooter, you MUST also stop at stop signs and obey every law a car must including using turn signals, brake signals, and speed limits. But is there a law that says when you stop at a stop sign on a moped that you must place both feet on the ground and not just one foot.

Good luck finding ANY real definitive answers on what is defined as a complete stop anywhere. I am a professional in the transportation industry for 24 years now and I can't find definitive answers to "what the definition of (limited access highway) is from GDOT, DMV, DDS, GSP, Governors office of highway safety that they will acknowledge. The term in laymans terms defined by INVESTOR WORD . Com means typically a roadway controlled by ON and OFF ramps but it is not on ANY of the sites mentioned.
Your in trouble just for not putting feet down on the ground BUT imagine being told you cant be on the roadway at all because the posted speed is 55mph but the actual law is written in a confusing manner and not enforced equally or correctly. I have contacted Cobb County, Clayton County, Douglas County, City of Marietta, Sandy Springs, Lithia Springs, Austell and NONE of these agencies pull 49cc mopeds over BUT Rockmart Ga Will pull you over, Call you "champ" or "buddy" and tell you these machines are NOT allowed on the roadway. They also will tell you they are low speed vehicles............ because they don't understand what these are or how to deal with them.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:28 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
I am a big supporter of scooters and started a whole thread on it.

They are cool.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ternative.html

Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM

654 posts, read 527,179 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Riding bikes on sidewalks is unsafe and illegal.

If you need to use sidewalks to get to the quiet streets, you should have your kids walk their bikes there. Legally at least. Whether a cop would ticket you or not we don't know.

I personally would have them ride in front of me on the street after teaching them safety lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia