Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times

Advertisements

Clayton County Transit Vote Brings Benefits to Entire Atlanta Region | Brookings Institution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
I liked what I read in that article. MARTA's boss said plainly it would include immediate resumption of bus service to the county ALONG WITH A LONG PLANNED RAIL EXTENSION. Heavy rail to Clayton and eventually to Alpharetta would make a system pride-worthy after this long wait between expansions. Last expansion was in 2000 to North Springs, right? I also wish they'd go ahead and extend the west line to I-285 as originally planned.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:18 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I liked what I read in that article. MARTA's boss said plainly it would include immediate resumption of bus service to the county ALONG WITH A LONG PLANNED RAIL EXTENSION. Heavy rail to Clayton and eventually to Alpharetta would make a system pride-worthy after this long wait between expansions. Last expansion was in 2000 to North Springs, right? I also wish they'd go ahead and extend the west line to I-285 as originally planned.
It's not going to be Heavy Rail into Clayton, it will be Commuter Rail.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's not going to be Heavy Rail into Clayton, it will be Commuter Rail.
Has that been determined? I must've missed the news... I don't quite understand where it will connect to the system yet.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:42 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Has that been determined? I must've missed the news... I don't quite understand where it will connect to the system yet.
For now it would conect at East Point, but I've seen plans to extend it to the MMPT whenever that gets built. I wonder who will complete the extention to Macon though?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Sorry about that, South DeKalb and Emory. We know you've been waiting for 45 years and Clayton just joined and all that.

But just keep on paying in and we'll get to you one of these days.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sorry about that, South DeKalb and Emory. We know you've been waiting for 45 years and Clayton just joined and all that.

Well, maybe Emory-area residents shouldn't have pushed to kill the Tucker-North DeKalb Line back in the late 90s.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM

567 posts, read 889,846 times
Quote:

I think it is a combination of different things. NIMBYISM, as referenced above, is definitely a huge factor also I think there are some environmental concerns that would be costly to fix. Furthermore community interest plays a roll. So if you have an area that has a lot of push back, high environmental costs, lack of community interest, that area is bound to get less attention than the area that has little push back, high community interest and low environmental costs. Furthermore, Clayton has a newness factor in being the first county to join in over 45 years. So there is bound to be more attention on those areas at least for a little while.

Now what would be unfair AHEM *North Fulton* is if a particular community regardless of the aforementioned factors, the agency pursues development because of the overall wallet size of the patrons that would ride in that particular area were larger than say in a less affluent community. For instance, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the extension from North Springs station a more costly build than the I 20 east extension? Yet before the whole Clayton thing, they fast tracked the North Springs project.. I wonder why..

Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If we're going to blame NIMBYism, let's remember that Clayton has steered clear of MARTA out for nearly half a century.

If I recall correctly, Emory has done a tremendous of planning and other work to promote transit in its area. Not to mention paying the MARTA tax for decades (while Clayton opted out).

Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
If we're going to blame NIMBYism, let's remember that Clayton has steered clear of MARTA out for nearly half a century.

If I recall correctly, Emory has done a tremendous of planning and other work to promote transit in its area. Not to mention paying the MARTA tax for decades (while Clayton opted out).
Building rail in Clayton does not slow down progress in North Dekalb. Remember Clayton paying for it's own transit just like Fulton and Dekalb. In fact, Fulton and Dekalb pay more money into the system, which makes it more embarrassing that Clayton has progressed more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta