Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I got a ticket for following too closely in Sandy Springs and I already have 3 points on my licence, a following too closely citation is 3 points

I am 20, under 21
on the dmv website it says tht any violation over 4 points will get a suspended liscence, since this is two seperate tickets will I get my liscence suspended?

Can I reduce the number of points if I do a defensive driving class?

that means I will have 6 points on my liscence, will I get my liscence suspended??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM

100 posts, read 119,191 times
Your best bet is to go to court and speak to the prosecutor and make a deal. I live in Sandy Springs

I'm in my mid 30's NEVER got a ticket in my life. I received 2 tickets October on 400 Alpharetta.
The first one was for speeding 92 in a 65
The fee was $435 + $200 Super Speeder Fine from the DDS.
I went to court (cop showed up) met with the protector and they lowered it to 79mph, I have to take a Defensive Driving Course ($100) and pay $435 but once I pay and attend class there will be no points on my license.

The 2nd ticket is for 82mph in a 65mph, I did accelerate to go around a car that was making me feel uncomfortable. I will go to court for that one in January.

I'm waiting to get pulled over for driving too slowly. I'm extra careful now.

If you have a supportive parent maybe they can attend court with you. Even though I'm grown if my parents lived near by I would have brought someone with me. Court made me very anxious and I was scared and I didn't understand my options until explained again because I was shaking like a leaf.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAHB94 View Post
Hi guys I got a ticket for following too closely in Sandy Springs and I already have 3 points on my licence, a following too closely citation is 3 points

I am 20, under 21
on the dmv website it says tht any violation over 4 points will get a suspended liscence, since this is two seperate tickets will I get my liscence suspended?

Can I reduce the number of points if I do a defensive driving class?

that means I will have 6 points on my liscence, will I get my liscence suspended??
The defensive driving class can deduct up to 7 points from your driving record (Georgia Defensive Driving Online - Find GA Defensive Driving Courses at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple), but you can only do this once every five years.

Like the previous poster stated, you may want to go to court to plead your case to the prosecutor so that you won't have to go through the whole ordeal of getting your license reinstated or you may want to consult a lawyer.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:57 AM

69 posts, read 73,420 times
Your license should be suspended. You clearly think you're above the law.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAHB94 View Post

I am 20, under 21

Driving too close is a 3 point violation. Your license won't get suspended over that. Since you are 20 you can accumulate up to 14 points over 24 months before a suspension. From the DDS web site:

Georgia licenses will be suspended as follows:
  • For any person who accumulates 15 or more points within 24 months;
  • For any person under the age of 21 with a conviction for any 4-point violation;
  • For any person under 18 years of age with an accumulation of 4 points within twelve months.

Speaking personally: please stop tailgating. It causes accidents.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
I would take the defensive driving course anyway. Just because you are old enough to drive, doesn't mean you can actually drive well. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta