Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times

Advertisements

On any random day, I drive up to Chattanooga or Helen.

For a weekend, my go-to is usually Fort Walton Beach/Destin. Then Panama City or Savannah.

For a long weekend, I hop that Megabus to New Orleans and will probably add Orlando to that soon because just being curious I found a $7 ticket to Orlando (one way of course)... Granted, they aren't usually $7, (usually more than $30) but I'll keep looking to see if I can find another $7 to Orlando and I'm taking it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM

446 posts, read 677,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
I moved to Atlanta this summer and while I am still enjoying exploring various neighborhoods of my new city ITP and OTP as well as the suburbs, I have been courious also where native Atlantans travel for long weekends etc.

Looking forward to visiting New Orleans sometime this coming Spring (never been there), it seems like a bit of a drive though from Atlanta (of course one can easily fly there).

How about Birmingham, Chattanooga, Athens etc.? Do native Atlantans visit those cities for long weekends? Athens sure sounds like a beautiful town, especially with the mountains nearby?

New Orleans is at the most 7 hrs(the time zone switch is a factor) if you take the I-85 to I-65 to I-10 route. I have family in the N.O. and Mobile. If you go to the N.O. visit Frenchman St. it has locals and tourist unlike Bourbon St which has a lot of tourists and dumb drunks

Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM

446 posts, read 677,973 times
I like the North GA mountains, Chat-town and the asheville area. Never been to Savannah but plan on going. Lived in Alabama a total of 6 yrs of my 30 years of living been all through it except Huntsville. Been all through N.O. to Pensacola(I am one of the few in my family not born or raised on the Gulf Coast). I love Miami(excluding Memorial Day Weekend to commercial now)

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM

265 posts, read 402,141 times
When I lived in Atlanta my favorite day trip was to go up to the Ellijay/Dahlonega area. Great hiking up at Amicalola Falls. Also, a bit further up, but Franklin NC was good times too.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Florida for me.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
When I lived in Atlanta my favorite day trip was to go up to the Ellijay/Dahlonega area. Great hiking up at Amicalola Falls. Also, a bit further up, but Franklin NC was good times too.
Franklin is a great town, as is Murphy. They're both growing too much, though.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM

265 posts, read 402,141 times
Oh, I forgot about Murphy. I spent a bit of time there, too. I hope they aren't growing too much though... They both had such nice small-time charm! Oh yeah, speaking of small-time charm, I completely forgot about another little weekend camping jaunt I used to take... Brevard NC. This is (or at least was) an awesome little town just outside of the Pisgah Nat'l Forest that we would escape to after a day of hiking, just for some good food and beer, before returning to the campsite. Wow. I forgot all about Brevard. Highly recommend that little town. We were there for a music festival one time, so in addition to the food and beer, we got to hear some great music.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Yes, love Brevard! All of the towns up there are still nice, but they are all growing and it's mostly Atlanta & Florida people moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta