Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 6,416 times

Advertisements

Hello! I sort of feel like I know you all since I've gotten so much useful info from this site in the past year. (Thanks!) Like afdinatl always says, I waited for the job before posting! I am a stay at home mom of two, my husband has accepted a job on Alpharetta Highway in Roswell. We are coming from NY and leaving 30+ years of friends and family behind. We will be renting nearby for short term and have a realtor but I'd love some info on good areas to live and look at. The subdivision popularity is lost on New Yorkers so I don't know if it's a good fit for us or not. My husband would love a short commute and I'll want to meet people like us 30's-40's, kids etc. It will be a little out of our comfort zone but we know being social will be an important part of establishing our new life in Georgia.

1. Budget $400,000 max
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House 2500 sq ft or more (need room for visitors!)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) husband commuting to Alpharetta hwy
4. Children(public school vs. private) public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two a nice mix would be preferable
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Families, cool ones.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Nicole, everything you want is in very close proximity to your husbands job. It's a great part of town, and is very beautiful. The terrain and look is very Westchesterish.

I'm sorry I can't recommend particular neighborhoods, but zero in on this area and you can't go wrong. And welcome to Atlanta!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nicole, everything you want is in very close proximity to your husbands job. It's a great part of town, and is very beautiful. The terrain and look is very Westchesterish.

I'm sorry I can't recommend particular neighborhoods, but zero in on this area and you can't go wrong. And welcome to Atlanta!
Fully agree. If I worked in Roswell, I don't think I would have much reason to live anywhere else!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Fully agree. If I worked in Roswell, I don't think I would have much reason to live anywhere else!
Thanks evannole, and I agree. I'm a city guy, but I could very easily live in Roswell.

I think they have one of the most charming and beautiful little suburban downtowns in the region. So much character, and so many great restaurants now.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Thanks evannole, and I agree. I'm a city guy, but I could very easily live in Roswell.

I think they have one of the most charming and beautiful little suburban downtowns in the region. So much character, and so many great restaurants now.
Yes, I agree entirely. It wouldn't work for my commute, but the quality of life there is excellent. We recently moved to the Marietta Square area, which I think has much of the same quaintness and is considerably more urban, but I sure would like to get some of the Roswell restaurants over here to supplement some of our good ones (and maybe supplant one or two less interesting ones)!

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:33 PM

I haven't been over to the Square in a couple of years, I'm very overdue for a visit.

I live in Brookhaven and work from home, so no commute here.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 PM

159 posts, read 200,503 times
You might also expand your search to Alpharetta. We just moved down here (currently on week #2) and while house-hunting, I loved Roswell and Marietta, but ended up buying in Alpharetta because we could get much more house for the $$. YMMV.

So far, I am loving the area.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:13 AM

8 posts, read 6,416 times
We would be fine expanding our search. Schools are important as both children are in elementary school still. Would East Cobb be unreasonably far in terms of commute? How about crossing GA400 into Johns Creek?

Old 12-12-2014, 03:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I'm a New Yorker who just moved here from MA. From my research and from what I've experience in my first month here I agree with the previous posters who advised settling in either Roswell or Alpharetta. The traffic here is uncharacteristic for the South, and life is too short to needlessly sit in traffic on an everyday commute. East Cobb and John's Creek are nice, but the extra distance isn't worth whatever advantage you think you may get from going across the entire breadth of Roswell or going across the entire breadth of Alpharetta to get home after work, and that would be the case given how many great homes are for sale in Roswell and Alpharetta that meet your specs.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:50 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Where in New York are you moving from and what kind of house and pace of life are you looking for?

I spent about 9 years in Roswell. It isn't a bad place, but the pace of life is that of a suburb and Atlanta is just far enough away to where you probably won't pop down to the Vortex for a burger (or similar) on a whim very often.

With kids, I would choose your neighborhood wisely... not all of them are close to parks or have large communities with a lot of other children for yours to socialize with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta