Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
But we have Centennial Olympic Park. The whole west side of downtown has been forever transformed. This, if nothing else is a lasting legacy.

I was a young father with three small kids and not in a financial place to attend a lot of events, but we went as often as we could to the park just to soak up the atmosphere. It was electric. Yes, the vendors wre a bit over the top but in no way spoi8led the overall ambiance. The worst thing to mar the experience was the bombing. It made me so angry that one idiot could attempt to ruin our Olympics. That they carried on is a testament to the city coming together and weathering this ridulcousness.

Not even going to read the article. Samaranch's snub still smarts. It was totally undeserved. Atlanta is not flailing in debt like Greece, taxpayers aren't holding the bil as in other countries. We put on a great Olympics, had top notch facilities, got people around easily and had a blast as a city and above it all, it was paid for. That is the lasting legacy.
Good post, as usual, Saintmarks. I remember the Olympics fondly and its legacy, at least to me, is the vitality that was brought to the city, the leaders created, and the vision and dream that were created. We still have those things today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
But we have Centennial Olympic Park. The whole west side of downtown has been forever transformed. This, if nothing else is a lasting legacy.

I was a young father with three small kids and not in a financial place to attend a lot of events, but we went as often as we could to the park just to soak up the atmosphere. It was electric. Yes, the vendors wre a bit over the top but in no way spoi8led the overall ambiance. The worst thing to mar the experience was the bombing. It made me so angry that one idiot could attempt to ruin our Olympics. That they carried on is a testament to the city coming together and weathering this ridulcousness.

Not even going to read the article. Samaranch's snub still smarts. It was totally undeserved. Atlanta is not flailing in debt like Greece, taxpayers aren't holding the bil as in other countries. We put on a great Olympics, had top notch facilities, got people around easily and had a blast as a city and above it all, it was paid for. That is the lasting legacy.
Yes, we have the park and I like it.

I thought the Olympics were a good show and something we should be proud of.

And FWIW, the article in question isn't a knock on Atlanta, at least not as I read it. He's just remarking on times that have come and gone.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes, we have the park and I like it.

I thought the Olympics were a good show and something we should be proud of.

And FWIW, the article in question isn't a knock on Atlanta, at least not as I read it. He's just remarking on times that have come and gone.
Thanks, will read it. Was at work and sneaking on here as things were slow, but opening links and reading articles on company time... well that is a bit much...

Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
An oral history of Izzy, the mascot marketing snafu of Olympic proportions
What is it? An oral history of Izzy, the mascot marketing snafu of Olympic proportions - Atlanta Magazine

Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
An oral history of Izzy, the mascot marketing snafu of Olympic proportions
What is it? An oral history of Izzy, the mascot marketing snafu of Olympic proportions - Atlanta Magazine
Quote:
Smith: It would’ve been easier to have a phoenix.
Seriously, why did no one think of that?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
From the article:

"Remnants of Atlanta, Olympic host, do still exist today. But it’s clear, with just a quick joyride through town, how oddly Atlanta has cultivated the legacy of its greatest public triumph and failure. The overwhelming sentiment seems to be “Let’s just move on.”"

I see nothing wrong with moving on. It was a big moment for Atlanta, but there's just no reason to dwell on it. Hosting an Olympics has a lot of positives and negatives. Atlanta isn't hosting again any time soon. The city has grown up a lot since then. People are aware Atlanta hosted the 96 games. What is there really to cultivate? You're not going to keep unused facilities open just to cultivate a legacy. Is Atlanta going to emblazon everything with 'Atlanta 96" just as a reminder? Of course not. Does it want "Host of the 96 Olympics" to be it's motto/tagline? Why would it? Again, I think moving on is right thing to do. It's a stupid thing to base an identity on.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
From the article:

"Remnants of Atlanta, Olympic host, do still exist today. But it’s clear, with just a quick joyride through town, how oddly Atlanta has cultivated the legacy of its greatest public triumph and failure. The overwhelming sentiment seems to be “Let’s just move on.”"

I see nothing wrong with moving on. It was a big moment for Atlanta, but there's just no reason to dwell on it. Hosting an Olympics has a lot of positives and negatives. Atlanta isn't hosting again any time soon. The city has grown up a lot since then. People are aware Atlanta hosted the 96 games. What is there really to cultivate? You're not going to keep unused facilities open just to cultivate a legacy. Is Atlanta going to emblazon everything with 'Atlanta 96" just as a reminder? Of course not. Does it want "Host of the 96 Olympics" to be it's motto/tagline? Why would it? Again, I think moving on is right thing to do. It's a stupid thing to base an identity on.
The Olympics is such a huge part of our city though. A lot of the city wouldn't exist the way it is today without the Olympics, and we still use most of our Olympic infrastructure (Centennial Park, The Olympic Village, Turner Field, Phillips Arena, Atlanta Beach etc).

Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
From the article:

I think you are falling into into a black and white only trap world where you`re either dwelling on the past and making a one and only tag line of hosting the Olympics or simply... just move on.

Almost every city that has hosted the Olympics has kept that history as a part of the identity. It is an honour to be a host. Many have kept the old Olympic venues open for tours if not reused them for other things. But no one ever said they merely kept that as a tagline `nor was I aware Atlanta has done that.

If anything we probably had the most re-use of Olympic facilities for other purposes before and after the games than most other hosts.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:

Electric indeed. I was in my 20s and loved every minute of just being down there in the environment. People from all corners of the world, who seemed to be enjoying themselves. I actually thought the street vendors added to the fun vibe. It was really a special time to be in Atlanta.

All you young-uns can have your Ponce City Markets and fancy chrome and glass condos, but the essence of what it means to be a city -- in terms of a melding of humanity and bustle -- was the Games.

I was told by several visitors that they found Atlanta to be a very welcoming place and Marta very easy to use.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

All you young-uns can have your Ponce City Markets and fancy chrome and glass condos, but the essence of what it means to be a city -- in terms of a melding of humanity and bustle -- was the Games.

It could be said that development of the former was a result of the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta