Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,176 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are currently in Novi (Detroit) MI and are considering to move to either Altanta or Austin.
Any thoughts or recommendations between the 2 places? we have to kids going to elementary and middle schools. Looking for a place that has good school districts, affordable housing and good weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,793,926 times
Just back from Atlanta, some comparisons to Austin

Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,793,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegu View Post
Hi, we are currently in Novi (Detroit) MI and are considering to move to either Altanta or Austin.
Any thoughts or recommendations between the 2 places? we have to kids going to elementary and middle schools. Looking for a place that has good school districts, affordable housing and good weather.
For affordable housing and good schools, you probably have to in the suburbs, and then you have to figure out a doable commute, and to determine that you need to know where you are going to work. So, where will your job be, and what do you think "affordable" is?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,329 times
My advice is find a job first, then decide. Also, what are you looking for? Do you want to be 5hr from skiing and close to Destin and Hilton Head? Then it's Atlanta. Otherwise, we're going to need more information on what you are looking for.

My wife is from Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield and she likes Smyrna, GA NW of Atlanta. I'm sure there's a bunch of other places she'd like too.

Texas will probably seem more like Michigan due to the street grid, etc. Metro Atlanta has a lot of curvy streets with lots of trees, but that also makes it beautiful. However, the North metro will seem a lot like West Bloomfield or Troy in terms of affluence, but with higher population density (like you'd find in Royal Oak, Southfield) and with more highrise districts. Then there's Atlanta, which is nothing like Detroit. Maybe more like Gross Point * with two highrise districts in the middle and in the North end. Also, the mixed-use areas (retail with condos above) tend to be brand new versus turn of the 1900s style Main Streets like you get in Royal Oak and Farmington. They tend to look more like the Town Center area in Novi across the highway from the Twelve Oaks mall.

Btw, do you like the BD Mongolian BBQ in Novi? I do, and I know it's pretty popular there. If so, you have Big Chow in Cobb Galleria (my favorite), Chow Baby in Atlanta on Ponce De Leon, or Ghengis Grill in Perimeter Center. I personally like Chow Baby and Big Chow better than the one in Novi, but Ghengis Grill is actually more like the one in Novi in terms of the food.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-29-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 AM

120 posts, read 175,931 times
I just moved to Northern Atlanta suburb from Ann Arbor a month ago. Out of the entire lower 48 states I chose Atlanta because it offers great housing value (easily more affordable than Austin from what I can tell), good weather (the summer here is much more bearable than Texas), and big city amenities. Because Atlanta is so sprawled out, where in the metro area you work is a very important determining factor for your place of residence. There are lots of great school districts in the northern suburbs, but it may not be feasible for you to live here if you work within the city.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,176 times
Hi All, thanks for the responses. We were able to reach a decision that Altanta will be the place to move.

Now comes the question on where to move. Our plan is to identify the schools that we want kids to go, rent a place and then buy/build a home in $500k range in the same area. This is to avoid moving schools twice...

Regarding job, I plan on continuing my current job remotely ( work from home) for few months and then will have to start applying locally. So no idea where the new job will be located.

I have talked to some of my friends who mentioned that Fulton and Forsyth schools districts are the best.

We are considering Cumming, Suwanee, John's Creek cities. Any advice on which city will have

1.good Middle/High schools with AP programs?
2.good newer house constructions
3. closer to kids activities (math, music etc)
4. 30 driving distance to most IT jobs

Thanks much

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,891,858 times
if you've got 500k, there is no way in hell i would locate in cumming or johns creek. there are way better places for that amount of money. if possible, i would try to locate in the decatur high school or north druid hills high school districts. if you are set on cumming, get in the SFHS district, as they offer the IB program.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,511,433 times
Quote:
We are considering Cumming, Suwanee, John's Creek cities.
Those are all solid choices. Add Alpharetta/Milton and the Northwest part of Duluth to the mix.

Get a realtor, tell them your parameters and they will start sending you listings.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,420,329 times
Quote:
Hi All, thanks for the responses. We were able to reach a decision that Altanta will be the place to move.

Now comes the question on where to move. Our plan is to identify the schools that we want kids to go, rent a place and then buy/build a home in $500k range in the same area. This is to avoid moving schools twice...

Regarding job, I plan on continuing my current job remotely ( work from home) for few months and then will have to start applying locally. So no idea where the new job will be located.

I have talked to some of my friends who mentioned that Fulton and Forsyth schools districts are the best.

We are considering Cumming, Suwanee, John's Creek cities. Any advice on which city will have

1.good Middle/High schools with AP programs?
2.good newer house constructions
3. closer to kids activities (math, music etc)
4. 30 driving distance to most IT jobs

Thanks much
I live in the Johns Creek / Suwanee area. After years of private school in the city we are extremely pleased with the Lambert High system. The daily commute into the city can be a bit frustrating at times but there are a plethora of business centers in this area. Best of luck!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM

124 posts, read 152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I live in the Johns Creek / Suwanee area. After years of private school in the city we are extremely pleased with the Lambert High system. The daily commute into the city can be a bit frustrating at times but there are a plethora of business centers in this area. Best of luck!
out of curiosity, what prompted the move from in town out to Johns Creek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta