Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times

Advertisements

There has been a long running thread trashing Atlanta's downtown. The poster laments downtown's short comings. Y'all know I love Atlanta being a native and all. Still, I wish we could combine the retail vibrancy of early to mid 80's downtown Atlanta (three downtown department stores-Rich's, Davison's, and Kessler's- many boutiques and specialty stores, and even two Woolworth's making a real downtown retail district) with the much cleaner and brighter feel of 2015's downtown. (New residents may not realize it, but downtown Atlanta has NEVER looked this good in my opinion) I digress; the question is: If Atlanta does not have the best downtown in the South, who does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Savannah, Charleston, Nashville.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Tough question because to me they all have shortcomings... If asked to give an opinion, I would say that the biggest factor keeping Atlanta held back (if you consider it held back) is the fact that it is so fragmented. Buckhead has the retail, Midtown has the residential development, Downtown has the offices of government, hotels, attractions. If it had all happened together downtown, things would be different for sure.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Charleston and St. Pete. Tons of good food, art, culture and shopping in fairly compact spaces.

I would not want to live in downtown Atlanta, at least in its current form, but if I ever moved to Charleston or to St. Pete, I would want to be right downtown.

In my experience, downtowns of small-to-medium sized cities just tend to be more interesting, funky, vibrant and fun than many of their big city counterparts. There are many exceptions, of course - I love Boston and DC - but especially have a hard time truly enjoying some of the newer ones that have tried to manufacture things to do instead of letting their senses of place do it for them over time.

Don't get me wrong... I love the fact that the aquarium and the College Football HOF have come to downtown Atlanta, but those are tourist attractions, not things for residents to visit on a regular basis. For me, the area is still too spread out, too dominated by office buildings that are disconnected from their surroundings, and still hasn't found its personality. Midtown has found one, and it is great, but Downtown still has quite a ways to go.

Last edited by evannole; 02-22-2015 at 05:13 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 AM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
Downtown Atlanta looks and feel better now than it did before but I would say Savannah, Charleston and Nashville. Mobile, AL could've had 1 of the best downtowns but too much industrialization happened. They could've used the Mobile Bay waterfront as its prime selling point for tourists residents and companies to make it more vibrant.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
NOLA for a larger city with cities like Richmond and Louisville garnering honorable mentions (and although I've never been, I hear good things about San Antonio and Fort Worth as well). For smaller cities, there's Asheville, Charleston, and Savannah. Revitalized downtowns like Chattanooga and Greenville also deserve a mention.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 AM

536 posts, read 639,413 times
The Old Salem and Arts District in Downtown Winston-Salem are pretty nice as well.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Downtown NO was impressive, but I don't consider the French quarter part of downtown.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 7,219 times
Savannah, NOLA, Austin, Greenville, Chattanooga all have better downtowns than ATL.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 AM

47 posts, read 55,224 times
I would have to say St. Petersburg Fl. My brother lives there and I visit him often. Their downtown is very walkable and the diversity is amazing. They have an art district that will blow you away, not to mention the Dali museum which is breath taking. They have a, live music venue ( Janus Live) with ticket prices anyone can afford. And last but not least, all of the clubs are FREE, you pay for drinks and eatables. Don't know how many there are but I do know it's well over 20. The Sundial shopping district doesn't have the stores to complete with Buckhead, but the layout and design is fabulous. I gave you a lot of the most notable things and this isn't HALF of it. I love downtown Atl and once they get that walkable local vibe back, it will be a very desirable place to work, live, and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta