Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:15 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times

Advertisements

An HOA where I'm a condo owner feels I owe them $550 for adding someone to title.

There is a paragraph in the HOA docs that says transfers trigger the new owner to come up with a capital contribution that is 2x monthly dues.

This clause is not for my situation in my opinion. The spirit of the document/clause is to collect this at a true sale/transfer of the property. They are simply trying to double dip because they suspect unauthorized leasing and that is beyond the point.

I guess my question is, how do I legally go about them removing the fee from my ledger? It will take legal action and I don't want to hire an attorney. I feel if I just file an action in court, they will drop it as they won't want to pay an attorney to squabble over $550 as their legal fees will surely surpass that ...my hope is that business sense hits one of the board members upside the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:55 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Right about the attorney. As a corporation, they'll have to have one for one thing.

The easiest, most effective thing imo would be to get an attorney who can write a good letter. Sometimes that does the trick.

You did not transfer title. You added to it but it never transferred out of your name.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:46 PM

202 posts, read 231,337 times
Half of the title was transferred, therefore a transfer occurred. Although not an absolute change of ownership, it is a change of ownership. I'd just pay it. It's $550, for goodness sake.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 PM

You might start with a nice email saying you are in receipt of their letter about such and such and asking them to kindly define "transfer of title". They may actually say when there is a sale or something.

Come up with some more facts and that might make them see the point.

Definitely a vehile name change or adding someone to the vehicle title is listed as a transfer of vehicle title which requires a fee to DMV. You home is not a vehicle.

Can you say, for example, it was not a transfer of title since you did not pay a transfer fee? Is this so?

Did no mortgage due on sale clause kick in as it will for some transfers of title?

Was it more a gift so that now it's joint tenants with no transfer? Anyone paying gift taxes?

If any of these apply you could perhaps argue it was then not a true transfer.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It's $550, for goodness sake.
Yeah, pocket change! Or, you know...not.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Your state did try to do away with this altogether but it did not work and there's a new law in 2013 that there can be a transfer fee. Let us know if you establish the parameters for it.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM

As a follow-up. I know they are just trying to double dip because they suspect unauthorized leasing.

I had my title examiner pull all quite claim deeds and the like that added someone to title within the community...where the original owner is still an owner of record. I then emailed them to the HOA board and asked if they can prove these residents were charged. If not, they have set precedence on how they interpret the docs. Should they wish to pursue this matter, they are bullying me, interrupting my right to quiet enjoyment and will be sued accordingly if they keep it up.

That was a while ago. They have not replied. However, I assume the charge is still on my ledger.

As far as this ONLY being $550, I have HOAs and Mmgt Co's hitting me up for all kinds of fees that a typical owner is not charged. I don't see how I'm any different. It's time to take a stand and stop the bleeding. I've been paying them for too long.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Taking them to court will cost more than $550.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
As a follow-up. I know they are just trying to double dip because they suspect unauthorized leasing.

I had my title examiner pull all quite claim deeds and the like that added someone to title within the community...where the original owner is still an owner of record. I then emailed them to the HOA board and asked if they can prove these residents were charged. If not, they have set precedence on how they interpret the docs. Should they wish to pursue this matter, they are bullying me, interrupting my right to quiet enjoyment and will be sued accordingly if they keep it up.

That was a while ago. They have not replied. However, I assume the charge is still on my ledger.

As far as this ONLY being $550, I have HOAs and Mmgt Co's hitting me up for all kinds of fees that a typical owner is not charged. I don't see how I'm any different. It's time to take a stand and stop the bleeding. I've been paying them for too long.
The "transfer fee" was probably a windfall fee for the management company anyway - never actually going to the condo corporation. There is no basis for these junk fees. Standard operating procedure.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Taking them to court will cost more than $550.
Showing up in court to challenge me will also cost them more than $550...the amt they are trying to cover. Not a good use of HOA funds to spend $X dollars on attorneys to recover an amt that is less than the attorney. The goal is to have this settled and cleared before court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta