Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

The wife and I are considering making a move down to Atlanta with our infant daughter. We both have family living in the Marietta and Kennesaw areas. We are currently in the Boston area, but the cost of living is just absurd. We do well for ourselves financially, but it still doesn't seem to be enough to buy the home of our dreams (our "forvever home" if you will). We are primarily looking in the areas stated in the title, simply due to the fact that they have a good reputation in regards to schools, safety, proximity to Atlanta, etc. I was casually looking the other day on Zillow, and is it me, or do the homes appear to sort of be "on top of eachother", especially in West Cobb? If we do end buying a home, I would definitely be looking for a little bit of privacy, a little bit of land too (half acre+) Is there a correlation between lot sizes and certain areas of Cobb county? Our budget btw would be around $300-$400K max. I appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Hello everyone,

The wife and I are considering making a move down to Atlanta with our infant daughter. We both have family living in the Marietta and Kennesaw areas. We are currently in the Boston area, but the cost of living is just absurd. We do well for ourselves financially, but it still doesn't seem to be enough to buy the home of our dreams (our "forvever home" if you will). We are primarily looking in the areas stated in the title, simply due to the fact that they have a good reputation in regards to schools, safety, proximity to Atlanta, etc. I was casually looking the other day on Zillow, and is it me, or do the homes appear to sort of be "on top of eachother", especially in West Cobb? If we do end buying a home, I would definitely be looking for a little bit of privacy, a little bit of land too (half acre+) Is there a correlation between lot sizes and certain areas of Cobb county? Our budget btw would be around $300-$400K max. I appreciate any input.
I think that lot size has more to do with a specific subdivision or area of development than it does with any particular area. The older Wieland subdivision that I'm a part of has a lot of larger wooded lots (mine is .42 acres and half woods), while others of similar age or newer in the same area have smaller lots or lots of roughly the same size.

In general, at least in southeast Cobb, it seems like older 50's brick rambler-style houses were built on huge lots, and newer subdivisions seem to have smaller lots than older ones even if the houses might be larger, so maybe there's some correlation to the age of the construction also?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
In general, at least in southeast Cobb, it seems like older 50's brick rambler-style houses were built on huge lots, and newer subdivisions seem to have smaller lots than older ones even if the houses might be larger, so maybe there's some correlation to the age of the construction also?
Thanks for sharing. Now that I look at it, it did seem that the newer "shinier" homes were the ones with the tiny lots. I guess I should stay away from the new developments in our search. Definitely not opposed to an "older" home (funny, because here in New England we consider older homes pre-1900s) as long as the lot was a decent size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta