Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 PM

787 posts, read 970,656 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for another job because I am only making 35K a year (thankfully my wife has a job and we don't have any children. ) I am in the IT industry, last week I received phone interviews from Fiserv & CNN both went well I felt, but in both interviews the last questions were what is your current salary, and I straight up told them 35, 500K/year. Then they ask, how much are you looking for, I tell them around 50K. They tell me that they will send me an email with info on the next steps but I have yet to receive an email from any of them. I thinking the salary I am asking for is too big of a jump and if my current job only pays me 35K why should they pay me 50, or the salary range at these jobs are well above my current salary and I am asking for too little money.
I am looking for tips on how to negotiate salary when your current pay is well below the pay of the jobs you're seeking.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,779,401 times
Right or wrong - the interviewer assumes your currently employer is paying you fairly and if they want someone with the qualifications of a $50,000 person and you are no where near making that much, they will question whether you have the skills set they are looking for.

First of all, you have to do your homework and make sure that you have those skill sets! If you honestly know that is a the marketable rate then when they ask you how much you are making, you should be vague and just state that $50,000 would give you a reasonable increase to give you the incentive to leave your current employer.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,253,100 times
I was making $45k at UPS. I got a 33% raise at my current job. They were a little hesitant, and wanted to get me to just $55k, but eventually went with $60k.

Just stress that you do a lot, despite your salary. Don't lie about it.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,791,379 times
How they know what you are currently making? Please please please don't tell me you actually tell them what you are really getting paid?

Last edited by afdinatl; 03-17-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,523 times
Check your junk email just in case.

Give ranges, not specifics when asked about current salary and don't fib about it because it can and most likely will be verified. You could say that in a tough economy you are making mid to upper 30s and want to make upper 40s to lower 50s and have the skills and experience.

Check out the "work and employment" city data forum for more advice

Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM

787 posts, read 970,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
How they know what you are currently making? Please please please don't tell me you actually tell them what you are really getting paid?
Yes I told them you have any advice on what I should do instead?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,267,276 times
If you're applying at a larger company, they're probably going to plug you into the job level they're trying to fill anyway. Your hiring manager might not have any say in your starting salary at all, and if s/he does it's likely in a narrow range.

Take charge! Make it clear in the interview that a salary more commensurate with your skill set and experience is one of your motivations for seeking new employment. They know this anyway, so no reason to obfuscate. Tell them you're confident your qualifications are a good match, and while you're not going to negotiate with yourself, you're eager to join the team and will carefully consider an offer. The position is such a good fit, you have every expectation that the offer would meet your needs.

In my experience, most hiring managers aren't very good at hiring. It's often pretty difficult to identify the best candidate in the interview process, and lacking confidence, they'll look for direction from your current employer for reasons not to hire you. "This guy seems pretty good, but maybe I shouldn't offer him this $50k job if his current employer thinks he's only a $35k guy." At the end of the day, what your typical hiring manager at this level most wants is not to screw up. Don't give him any reason to think he'd be screwing up by hiring you.

If you project confidence, he'll take direction from you instead of your current employer. He's giving you an opportunity to devalue yourself. Reassure him that you're the right guy instead.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,947,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Check out the "work and employment" city data forum for more advice
That's a scary place. People tear others apart over there.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,791,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Yes I told them you have any advice on what should do instead?
Find the rate for your position and add 5k to that.

Say you make 35k but your position is really worth at least 45k. Tell them you are at 50k and you are looking to make at least 53K with your new position.

You always tell them you are getting paid more. You never tell your real salary. That's like a female telling you how many men she been with. She isn't going to tell you the truth! !

Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,790,914 times
One interesting thing about the way our society has turned out is people change jobs frequently are often rewarded for it.

Young professionals, which are sometimes criticized for not being loyal, often make their pay raises by changing jobs.

You might be right to an extent. If these fail to materialize try $45k next time or possibly lower, but realize that job doesn't need to be your job for very long. It could just be a stepping stone to where you want to be. I would plan to stay long enough to at least get good future recommendations, network, make it seem as if you proved yourself at the $45k level to the next employer, etc

This is also advice for if these offers fail.

If your skill set is really worth a market rate of $50k (or higher), a good employer would go... gee this guy is getting paid $35k and I pay guys $50k for that. I could easily steal him, maybe even get him at $45k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: