Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
You do realize that your post is self-contradictory, right?
How exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I frequently took the East/West line from Ashby to Decatur. It takes 17 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes to drive the same distance. I worked in downtown Decatur so the train was actually much more convenient than driving. Unfortunately I couldn't ride MARTA everyday because I carpooled kids to school but on days I didn't, I did drive to the train station and take the train after dropping off my own kid and go to work on days I worked in Decatur.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the one I bolded above - there is a lot of divisiveness in Atlanta and its metro IMO. I also agree with below that I took from the website:

"I dislike a lot of the new construction apartments/city center things here — why so much beige and stucco? Seems like the dominant 'look' is some sort of faux-Italian villa thing.

Seems like all the same architects build everything. And FWIW, I did work in housing and development of new apartment communities in Atlanta and I know that in many areas it is true they pick the same architectual firms and such. I always thought it was some sort of "good ole boy" network thing going on. Someone posted a recent article about the AIA institute having their convention in Atlanta in 2015 and how architects in Atlanta should be using their talents to re-create a 21st century Atlanta. It was a very inspiring article and I hope more diversity is used in design/builds going forward. Seems to me like they are either stucco/italianate or extremely modern blocked buildings and that's it. Many of the stucco buildings are even modern looking lol.
People going for a market don't go much outside the trends.

All the SFH were ranch for a while.

There was a stucco trend in SFH.

There was a dark red brick doctor's box trend in SFH. Plano, Texas (Dallas suburb) basically required it in the 80s/90s. You could drive about 3 miles and see almost nothing else.

Apartment construction also follows trends. Eventually a different look will dominate.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How exactly?
I'm not seeing it either...

As for my case, Marta is generally quicker than driving, because the traffic around the Phipps/Lenox part of town is atrocious. Even if the traffic weren't as bad, door to door, my commute is about 25-30 min from Midtown on Marta and even on a "good" traffic day, I'm still not convinced I'd be beating that figure.

Also, like many other residents who have to garage park their vehicle on a high level, it would take me roughly 10 minutes to go from my front door, up to my garage level, and arrive on the street with my vehicle (if I still had one ). By that amount of time, I would have already walked to the train and have gone at least 1 stop, most days. My employer also reimburses me for my monthly Marta pass, which is another incentive (they are not having to pay for a monthly parking spot for me, so it's a wash for them).

Aside from time, where do you all hold quality and healthiness of your commute? From a personal preference, I enjoy getting exercise every morning and afternoon by walking to and from the train station and also enjoy the calming aspect of being able to read a book while letting someone else get me there. To each their own, though.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Oh, please. Former Atlantan living in Seattle now. These two issues are exactly what people ***** about here, too. If I moved to Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix tomorrow it would be SSDD as well. And yet Atlanta keeps getting singled out for it like this is a problem unique to it.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, please. Former Atlantan living in Seattle now. These two issues are exactly what people ***** about here, too. If I moved to Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix tomorrow it would be SSDD as well. And yet Atlanta keeps getting singled out for it like this is a problem unique to it.
<sarcasm> It's because Atlanta's this so-called "global" city. Global cities don't sprawl the way Atlanta does, and they don't have the pitiful transit system Atlanta does. </sarcasm>

How is Seattle, by the way?

- skbl17

Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
<sarcasm> It's because Atlanta's this so-called "global" city. Global cities don't sprawl the way Atlanta does, and they don't have the pitiful transit system Atlanta does. </sarcasm>

How is Seattle, by the way?

- skbl17
Wet, thank you.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wet, thank you.
Oh, you moved to Seattle? Wow. And wet? Yeah, I've heard it rains there sometimes.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
You should check out the 800 Glenwood fiasco involving Developer Jeff Fuqua.

For such a long time it seem like his only intention was trying to force a WalMart-type surburban big box into the area. Which pretty much goes against the smart growth intentions for the Glenwood Park area of the Atlanta Beltline.

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...opment-changes

And the CoA government? They are pro-developer to the point where it's sickening.

They are not even trying to update the zoning ordinances to force developers to abide by basic smart growth rules for the beltline. And that was one of the issues at the last city council election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

[/i] Seems like all the same architects build everything. And FWIW, I did work in housing and development of new apartment communities in Atlanta and I know that in many areas it is true they pick the same architectual firms and such. I always thought it was some sort of "good ole boy" network thing going on. Someone posted a recent article about the AIA institute having their convention in Atlanta in 2015 and how architects in Atlanta should be using their talents to re-create a 21st century Atlanta. It was a very inspiring article and I hope more diversity is used in design/builds going forward. Seems to me like they are either stucco/italianate or extremely modern blocked buildings and that's it. Many of the stucco buildings are even modern looking lol.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Traffic and transit would make the list of "old Atlantans", too. LOL
Traffic in Atlanta is terrible.....what the freak is going on on i20 east board. Jesus Christ. EveRy weekend they close 3 lanes on eastbound side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta