Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 104,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA5mom View Post
If the house in Lithonia does not work out, you might consider Rockdale County next door. You can get very nice homes in good school zones at a good price. You would want to look in the areas zoned for Barksdale/Honey Creek/Lorraine Elementaries -> Ray Davis Middle -> Heritage High. The commute to downtown from Rockdale is not bad if you can leave early and there are no major accidents, etc.
Thank you so much!!! I will look in to that! Right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:45 PM

18 posts, read 104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It sounds like it is a done deal, but you really should have visited the schools given your child is in kindergarten next year. Charters are hard in DeKalb, because the schools aren't great so many folks want out. You have missed the enrollment window for next year in terms of school choice. Many DeKalb parents, who value education, find that managing their child's experiences in DeKalb schools can easily become a full time job. (and this isn't talking about homeschooling.) You need to start educating yourself about DCSS and how things work.

Poor schools will hamper your ability to resale as well.

Good luck.

Well it's not a done deal yet...it was just an offer and we can always pull out...it's not too late. But I mean, you can't really gather much from visiting a place until you actually move there, enroll, and go there for a few months or so. Some schools aren't as bad as people make them seem, so I kept that in mind. We still have more options I suppose since we have gotten an accepted offer yet.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 AM

6 posts, read 6,817 times
As a student who is graduating from a high school in Lithonia this year, I would not recommend you to send your children to school here or settle here due to the education factor. I used to tell my mom I don't go to a good school and she said school is what you make it, so then I started to believe this, but as I am about to graduate I know that this is not the case. I was always one of the smartest in my classes, but when I took national test and saw where I really lined up with kids in the nation or kids I would be competing to get into colleges with, its just depressing to see that I'm not as smart as I thought I was. I feel like my education failed me. I can't help but feel some anger knowing that I wasn't really pushed to my full ability as far as the curriculum goes. Of course you always have your few people who do extremely well on these test and maybe 1 get into the top colleges, but wouldn't you rather a schools average scores up to par with the national average (or even higher)? I believe a good indication of a "good" school is on their average SAT scores When most high schools don't even score HALF of 2400 (1600 is the average) on the SAT in Lithonia. Thats a huge problem I feel so obligated to tell you this that I made an account just to tell you. But anyways that is all... Hope what you take what I said into consideration, coming from a student!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta