Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 26,451 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Atlanta with my family in August 2015, and joining Georgia Tech as PhD student. My five year old son has been diagnosed with Autism. Currently, he goes to a special education preschool with a small class size (a group of five students attended by two teachers). I am looking for public school special education suggestions in or around the Atlanta area. Any school suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What are the best areas to live for public schools that are able to work with children with autism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
What is your housing budget? That will determine the options you have to some extent.

Is he going to kindergarten next year? If he is, and you were staying where you are today, what kind of placement would his teachers recommend. Something similar or more inclusive? If you don't know, you need to ask.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am planning to rent a house within 1000$. I am currently in Bangladesh. Here he is attending a special school that is for children up to 7 years old. But in US, I think he should be in kindergarten as he is already 5 now. He is still not ready for more inclusive schooling as he is mostly non-verbal and doesn't want to sit in a class for long.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Proton,

Definitely get in contact with Atlanta Public Schools. We also have a boy diagnosed with Autism, although he is high-functioning. They did an evaluation on him, then offered us some options for next year. He is much younger, though, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

APS does have options for full Autism schools, inclusion schools, and regular schools.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. As per your suggestion, I have sent APS an email asking for information. Once again, thank you.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton8i View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. As per your suggestion, I have sent APS an email asking for information. Once again, thank you.
Check Cobb County Schools and Fulton County Schools as well. Those will be reasonably close to Georgia Tech.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 PM

Thank you so much. I am trying to find schools in north Atlanta specifically in Cobb County and Fulton County. I have heard that many north Atlanta schools provide good support for children on the autism spectrum.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,438 times
Please be careful in north Fulton areas. Not all schools have good ASD programs. That is from personal experience and from many word of mouths from parents. Avoid Alpharetta areas. . Hembree is a great school but it is for higher functioning asd students. There are some good programs in johns creek, ga. There is a great school in snellville called Pharr Elementary. Surprisingly Douglas county have a great program as well and it is only 20-30 from downtown with ththe least amount of traffic in Atlanta. However it is not very diverse.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton8i View Post
Thank you so much. I am trying to find schools in north Atlanta specifically in Cobb County and Fulton County. I have heard that many north Atlanta schools provide good support for children on the autism spectrum.
I want to make sure you know that "north Atlanta" can mean two things. It usually means the northern part of the actual City of Atlanta. But it sounds like you are using it to mean the northern suburbs outside of the City of Atlanta.

The actual City of Atlanta has its own school system called Atlanta Public Schools, or APS. The Fulton County School system is comprised of the areas of Fulton County (both north and south) that are not within the City of Atlanta.

Within the Atlanta Public School system, I would recommend Morris Brandon Elementary for your child. It is a big school with a lot of special ed resources--and very near GA Tech. I know a non-verbal mentally handicapped child who was well-served there. However, you will not find a single family home for rent in your budget in that district. You would be able to rent an apartment in the area for $1000, but it would be a very simple 2 bedroom/1 bath without anything fancy whatsoever. You might think it was pretty darn ugly, depending on what you are used to.

If you want a single family home, or a nicer apartment, I would look in the school districts around the Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, and North Springs MARTA train stations. Georgia Tech is on the same train line, and that would help your commute. You will be able to find a nicer place within your budget and I'm hoping someone will chime in about which particular elementary offers the best services in these areas.

One more thought. I believe, at APS, if the school you are zoned for does not offer services to fit your child's special needs, you child will attend a school nearby that does offer services. It might be worth calling Morris Brandon to find out if they receive children from other nearby districts, and if so, which ones.

The area of Smyrna in Cobb County is also very close to Georgia Tech. It may prove your best option of all. You might look into the H.A.V.E.N. Academy program there to see if it is a fit for your child. If not, maybe Nickajack Elementary. . .

Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I want to make sure you know that "north Atlanta" can mean two things. It usually means the northern part of the actual City of Atlanta. But it sounds like you are using it to mean the northern suburbs outside of the City of Atlanta.

The actual City of Atlanta has its own school system called Atlanta Public Schools, or APS. The Fulton County School system is comprised of the areas of Fulton County (both north and south) that are not within the City of Atlanta.

Within the Atlanta Public School system, I would recommend Morris Brandon Elementary for your child. It is a big school with a lot of special ed resources--and very near GA Tech. I know a non-verbal mentally handicapped child who was well-served there. However, you will not find a single family home for rent in your budget in that district. You would be able to rent an apartment in the area for $1000, but it would be a very simple 2 bedroom/1 bath without anything fancy whatsoever. You might think it was pretty darn ugly, depending on what you are used to.

If you want a single family home, or a nicer apartment, I would look in the school districts around the Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, and North Springs MARTA train stations. Georgia Tech is on the same train line, and that would help your commute. You will be able to find a nicer place within your budget and I'm hoping someone will chime in about which particular elementary offers the best services in these areas.

One more thought. I believe, at APS, if the school you are zoned for does not offer services to fit your child's special needs, you child will attend a school nearby that does offer services. It might be worth calling Morris Brandon to find out if they receive children from other nearby districts, and if so, which ones.

The area of Smyrna in Cobb County is also very close to Georgia Tech. It may prove your best option of all. You might look into the H.A.V.E.N. Academy program there to see if it is a fit for your child. If not, maybe Nickajack Elementary. . .
I know someone who was at Morris Brandon who got moved to Jackson at the suggestion of the school as Jackson was better able to service that student. They will move them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta