Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 11:31 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times

Advertisements

Or they could have just tried to be ethical and stand up for what they may have believed in. Some teachers did that. My husband has faced INTENSE pressure for the almost 20 years he has taught in APS. Each year he is held accountable to get the same performance as the kids the previous year - even though that is totally asinine bc it is a different set of kids. He doesn't cheat. He just complains, continues to freakin gray and works harder. Shocking concept. I know. He doesn't cheat. Shocking, I know.

Nobody makes anybody cheat. Cheaters cheat on their own as a conscious "solution" to the problem being faced. This can occur in any type of position because all jobs have unique pressures and things that just are not fair.

And what kind of role model for a classroom of students is a teacher that cheats? Good riddance I say. Of course, I also said where the heck did they get Beverly Hall and why the heck don't school have resources in the first place when we have millions for new stadiums next door to existing stadiums? That's probably the most twisted sick part of our entire country infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Agreed they cant win either way, but its easier to get another job teaching after being fired than being locked up. They should have just did like everyone else and just take the easier punishment initially rather than fight it. In Amercia if you go to court for something you know you were wrong, the judge will throw you under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times
I would just like to say, again, that none of us would be having this conversation had they taken the deal.

They could have gone home. They landed themselves in jail. Not the judge, not the DA.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I would just like to say, again, that none of us would be having this conversation had they taken the deal.

They could have gone home. They landed themselves in jail. Not the judge, not the DA.
But, we *should* be having this conversation--even if they had taken the deal--even if they had been found innocent. For many, the system is broken, and the attempts at solution, are like the judge's righteous indignation --it may make someone feel like they are doing something, but really it's just a dance for show --ignoring many of the real problems.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
An observation.....

The pressure to have the numbers in one's favor is one thing. Intimidation tactics; telling other teachers, as well as students, not to snitch on the cheating and cheaters, is another!

Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Or they could have just tried to be ethical and stand up for what they may have believed in. Some teachers did that. My husband has faced INTENSE pressure for the almost 20 years he has taught in APS. Each year he is held accountable to get the same performance as the kids the previous year - even though that is totally asinine bc it is a different set of kids. He doesn't cheat. He just complains, continues to freakin gray and works harder. Shocking concept. I know. He doesn't cheat. Shocking, I know.

Nobody makes anybody cheat. Cheaters cheat on their own as a conscious "solution" to the problem being faced. This can occur in any type of position because all jobs have unique pressures and things that just are not fair.

And what kind of role model for a classroom of students is a teacher that cheats? Good riddance I say. Of course, I also said where the heck did they get Beverly Hall and why the heck don't school have resources in the first place when we have millions for new stadiums next door to existing stadiums? That's probably the most twisted sick part of our entire country infrastructure.
The standards set were simply unrealistic given the background and home environment for the kids. Something would have had to give and when faced with socioeconomic realities there is only so much that could have been done.

A Middle-School Cheating Scandal - The New Yorker

Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Let's don't make excuses for these folks. They knowingly and intentionally committed a crime. That, of course, does not in any way diminish all of the environmental factors that influenced them to do so.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:16 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
But, we *should* be having this conversation--even if they had taken the deal--even if they had been found innocent. For many, the system is broken, and the attempts at solution, are like the judge's righteous indignation --it may make someone feel like they are doing something, but really it's just a dance for show --ignoring many of the real problems.
Beverly Hall and her criminal minions were the biggest problem.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 PM

445 posts, read 516,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Let's don't make excuses for these folks. They knowingly and intentionally committed a crime. That, of course, does not in any way diminish all of the environmental factors that influenced them to do so.
To some, discussing "all of the environmental factors that influenced them to do so" equals making excuses. I think it's relevant to a discussion of the fairness of the sentences.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Beverly Hall and her criminal minions were the biggest problem.
As far as cheating goes, yes--Hall and her minions used their power and influence to corrupt the corruptible, and that was a big problem.
But there were problems educating the disadvantaged before Hall, and after Hall--problems that testing cannot fix, problems that did not begin with the school, --- We have made a policy out of punishing the school and teachers for not being able to meet goals that are unachievable with the tools that are available --that is probably a bigger problem.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
As far as cheating goes, yes--Hall and her minions used their power and influence to corrupt the corruptible, and that was a big problem.
But there were problems educating the disadvantaged before Hall, and after Hall--problems that testing cannot fix, problems that did not begin with the school, --- We have made a policy out of punishing the school and teachers for not being able to meet goals that are unachievable with the tools that are available --that is probably a bigger problem.
So in your mind, what would have been a suitable punishment for these educators?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta